Merged: PFT: Vince Young scores a 6 on the Wonderlic. | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: PFT: Vince Young scores a 6 on the Wonderlic.

Now, to all those who think a score of 6 is acceptable...Alex22, who holds the title here of "Most Likely to Defend an Indefensible Position," take note.

The Wonderlic IQ test is a 50 question test that is timed out at 12 minutes. Most players don't finish; you get one point for each correct answer. The questions get progressively more difficult as you go along. The average result is supposed to be a 20. The average score for a quarterback is over 20, though I'm not sure how much. I believe it's around 24.

The president of Wonderlic has said that "a score of 10 is literacy - that's about all we can say." Jeff George scored a 10. Dan Marino a 16. Brett Favre, a 22. Tom Brady and Steve Young both scored a 33 (or around there). Akili Smith scored a 37. So, Wonderlic scores don't necessarily translate to success or lack thereof. That said, if Vince Young did score a 6, then he's borderline.....well, "special." It's for this reason I find it hard to believe.

While I think we know Vince Young is capable of playing football, he's apparently not very capable of much else.

MarxBrothers said:
Drew Henson got a 42 and you see how that has helped him get on the field and produce. When the game is on the line Young will make a play no one else can make to win a game, good test taker or not, low IQ or high...

Thats a good point, I guess you could say theres a certain equilibrium of athleticism and intelligence you have to achieve to be a successful QB in the NFL.

If he really scored a 6, then that's going to take him off the board as a QB and put him on the board as a WR for alot of teams.

i have no idea how the wonderlic test works. What does a 6 mean Im guessing its really bad but is it like a all time bad? vince young isnt smart, in his college days, he didnt even study his playbook (freshmen) i heared because he didnt want too

I wonder........does a wonderlic measure how good of a football player you are?

Disgustipate said:
If he really scored a 6, then that's going to take him off the board as a QB and put him on the board as a WR for alot of teams.

I thought that before he proved he has the intelligence of a potted plant.

Didnt Marino score like a 14 on the test? He was an absolutely terrible QB. At least Vince Young doesn't do coccaine.

finfan54 said:
I wonder........does a wonderlic measure how good of a football player you are?

Indirectly it may have bearing...I am not ready to say VY couldnt succeed in the NFL as a QB whether he did or didnt actually score a 6. But his ability to comprehend and fully understand things matter on and off the field.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/ar...14101609990001

The Wonderlic Personnel Test has 50 questions, which players are given 12 minutes to answer. According to the company that creates these tests, "The WPT is a short form measure of cognitive ability designed for simple administration and interpretation."

The test is designed to measure one's ability to:
· Learn a specific job
· Solve problems
· Understand instructions
· Apply knowledge to new situations
· Benefit from specific job training
· Be satisfied with a particular problem

However, the results of these Wonderlic tests are viewed differently by each team, coach and scout -- if they are viewed at all.

Pro Football Hall of Fame coach and draft wizard Bill Walsh agrees that the Wonderlic is something worth referencing in some instances, but not really the last word regarding a player's intelligence.

"Functional intelligence is the key," Walsh said. "There have been Hall of Fame quarterbacks who would have scored fairly low on these tests. But they were great football players, competitors and decision processors on the field.

Maybe he didnt score a 6, but if he did, just like many other "red flags" its just makes things harder for a professional organization to justify paying alot of money to someone when other players are there with less "known" risk.

primetime23 said:
i have no idea how the wonderlic test works. What does a 6 mean Im guessing its really bad but is it like a all time bad? vince young isnt smart, in his college days, he didnt even study his playbook (freshmen) i heared because he didnt want too

the only guy on that previously supplied wonderlic test result link, that scored in the single digits was Davenport, Oscar. who is oscar?......exactly!!!!...this is really going to hurt vince....I think he may slip to the 2nd round.

Looks like the scores don't mean too much.

Brees, Drew - 28
Feeley, A.J. - 19
Lemon, Cleo - 18
Culpepper, Daunte - 18, 21, 15
Marino, Dan - 14

So is anyone going to say Brees is twice as good as Marino?

I have absolutely no idea how this test relates to a qb's skill sets and ultimate success. However, I would have to think that if the other guys scored that much higher than Young, that only hurts his positioning. That being said, I would think he is still a top five to seven pick.

Back
Top Bottom