Merged: PFT: Vince Young scores a 6 on the Wonderlic. | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: PFT: Vince Young scores a 6 on the Wonderlic.

anthony! said:
They do. Marino isn't a smart guy, Brees is much more intelligent. But the fact is Marino is one in a million. He was born to play football. He didn't adjust to the game, the game adjusted to him. Are you willing to say Vince Young is even remotely similar to Marino in that aspect? That would be sheer ignorance. Vince Young will have to adapt and go through alot of growing pains... see Mike Vick.

Yeah, I bet he was born with a football in his hand too. Man I almost cried laughing at that comment, hehe. Also what growing pains did Vick go through, the guy went deep into the post season in his first year starting.

I just had another idea. Caddy was later quoted as saying he purposely didn't do his best at the combine b/c Gruden said it didn't matter, he was gonna draft him no matter what.
So taking that into consideration, could it be possible that Young has a favorite team in the top 15 or so that he has a secret deal with such as caddy had?? This is the only I see possible that a college player could score a 6. Otherwise I see this report as being a mistake.

could you guys stop, this is making me sick. Didnt vincent say he was so motivated to win the rose bowl when he didnt win the hiesman. 6 is bad but you know what he could of been nervious it happens, believe it. I was nervious one time when I was with my girlfriends parents and I had a hard time answering things they asked me which were rather simple if I answered them now

flintsilver7 said:
While there are exceptions - good quarterbacks who score low and bad quarterbacks who score high - the test is used for a reason. 20 is considered low for a quarterback. 14, assuming that's what Marino scored, is below average, and approaches cause for considerable alarm. (I saw a score reported of 16, but I've also seen 14. We'll go with 14 in case.) 6 is a score that even a 4th-grade remedial student would be disappointed with, and for a potential first-round pick you're now adding the risk his signing bonus could be blown immediately on a Ponzi scheme.

Quarterbacks who have had any measure of success with scores below 20 include:

2004: Jim Sorgi, 14
2002: David Garrard, 14
1999: Donovan McNabb, 16,12
1999: Daunte Culpepper, 18,21,15
1999: Aaron Brooks, 17
1995: Steve McNair, 15
1995: Kordell Stewart, 15,12
1987: Vinny Testaverde, 1
1985: Randall Cunningham, 15
1983: Dan Marino, 14

quote]

:sidelol: ..better hope rush limbaugh doesnt get a hold of these #'s!!:sidelol:

primetime23 said:
could you guys stop, this is making me sick. Didnt vincent say he was so motivated to win the rose bowl when he didnt win the hiesman. 6 is bad but you know what he could of been nervious it happens, believe it. I was nervious one time when I was with my girlfriends parents and I had a hard time answering things they asked me which were rather simple if I answered them now
isn't the biggest thing people like about him is being calm under pressure like this?

KTOWNFINFAN said:
I just had another idea. Caddy was later quoted as saying he purposely didn't do his best at the combine b/c Gruden said it didn't matter, he was gonna draft him no matter what.
So taking that into consideration, could it be possible that Young has a favorite team in the top 15 or so that he has a secret deal with such as caddy had?? This is the only I see possible that a college player could score a 6. Otherwise I see this report as being a mistake.

It is possible. A 6 is extraordinarily low - to the point where the report is going to be questioned left and right. If it is true, those teams interested in drafting him are going to have an extended interview. You need to have the questions answered - especially those raised about his intelligence and logical thought capability.

If it's true, it isn't the end of the world for Young. He proved a lot on the field and he has the physical talent. The Wonderlic test is another useful tool that teams use to evaluate players. A quarterback can be helped or hurt by their Wonderlic scores, but not created or destroyed.

daniel3 said:
Yeah, I bet he was born with a football in his hand too. Man I almost cried laughing at that comment, hehe. Also what growing pains did Vick go through, the guy went deep into the post season in his first year starting.

So how would you explain Marino's ability? I wouldn't dare explain it as anything other than god-given. The guy was born to be a star, that is how it is. He probably would have been a half of fame pitcher if he had gone to the MLB.

As for Vick, your blind if you don't see his struggles. He didn't go to the playoffs, the Falcons did. Vick is far from a good QB.

This is hilarious, I can't believe it to be true. I assume he will take the test again and I'm hoping it should rise alot, at least to the teens ( 15, 16 ). A grade of "6" seems to me like he was nervous his first time and was not prepared, thats what happened to me the first time i took the SAT's.

finfanatic99 said:
This is hilarious, I can't believe it to be true. I assume he will take the test again and I'm hoping it should rise alot, at least to the teens ( 15, 16 ). A grade of "6" seems to me like he was nervous his first time and was not prepared, thats what happened to me the first time i took the SAT's.

Akili Smith improved his score 22 points the second time around, from a 15 to a 37. He is still suspected of cheating.

KTOWNFINFAN said:
Dude, he was projected to go in the top three. There is NO way in hell that he would purposely do this poorly on the test. Not only is a score of 6 humiliating (10 means that you are literate), but he would lose MILLIONS of dollars in signing bonus/contract negotiations.

unifiedtheory said:
So...because he is now, officially an idiot we should draft him?

I've said it for months, I don't care if he is there for us at #16....either trade him for picks or take so one else...the guy is going to bust.
Ditto.
Honestly, I wish we would stick with Gus and develope a young draft pick, whether it be by trading up for Cutler, or drafting someone later. I am just tired of other teams rejects. And if we wanted someone who is an athlete who has to be taught how to a true qb, well darn, lets just teach Ronnie or CC how to throw.

anthony! said:
So how would you explain Marino's ability? I wouldn't dare explain it as anything other than god-given. The guy was born to be a star, that is how it is. He probably would have been a half of fame pitcher if he had gone to the MLB.

As for Vick, your blind if you don't see his struggles. He didn't go to the playoffs, the Falcons did. Vick is far from a good QB.

Marino worked hard to get where he was, he wasn't just born with nfl knowledge and nor was he born with the brightest of minds either. Young will be fine because he has a similar drive to succeed and will be a great nfl QB.

Oh and on the subject of Vick, the guy had 3000 passing and 800 rushing yards that year. I'm pretty sure he had a HUGE hand in getting them there.

KTOWNFINFAN said:
RIIIIIGGGGHHHHHHTTTTT..........were you the one asking about swicthing Zach to SS??
Young is a QB on 32 team boards. If someone were to even suggest moving him to WR he would just flat refuse to play for them. I don't care if he scored a .o6 on the wonderlic he is not going to be a WR.

Yes, because switching an athletic college QB to WR is TOTALLY unheard of.

Not like Matt Jones. Or Antuan Randle El. Or Hines Ward. Or Eric Crouch. Or etc. and so on.

A 6 on your Wonderlic is borderline ******ed. Statistically, it would be improbable for you to do worst then that randomly picking your answers. Someone who was illiterate could probabaly get a better score then that. I'm almost convinced he had to do that on purpose.

An NFL team is not going to run the same kind of offense Texas did. Do you honestly expect him to be able to learn an NFL offense?

daniel3 said:
Marino worked hard to get where he was, he wasn't just born with nfl knowledge and nor was he born with the brightest of minds either. Young will be fine because he has a similar drive to succeed and will be a great nfl QB.

Oh and on the subject of Vick, the guy had 3000 passing and 800 rushing yards that year. I'm pretty sure he had a HUGE hand in getting them there.

I completely disagree. Young is nowhere near Marino in any sense what-so-ever. Marino did work hard, but he was one of those guys who just had it naturally. See Gretzky, Sanders, etc.

Disgustipate said:
Yes, because switching an athletic college QB to WR is TOTALLY unheard of.

Not like Matt Jones. Or Antuan Randle El. Or Hines Ward. Or Eric Crouch. Or etc. and so on.

A 6 on your Wonderlic is borderline ******ed. Statistically, it would be improbable for you to do worst then that randomly picking your answers. Someone who was illiterate could probabaly get a better score then that. I'm almost convinced he had to do that on purpose.

An NFL team is not going to run the same kind of offense Texas did. Do you honestly expect him to be able to learn an NFL offense?

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom