Merged: PFT: Vince Young scores a 6 on the Wonderlic. | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: PFT: Vince Young scores a 6 on the Wonderlic.

Sethworld said:
Looks like the scores don't mean too much.

Brees, Drew - 28
Feeley, A.J. - 19
Lemon, Cleo - 18
Culpepper, Daunte - 18, 21, 15
Marino, Dan - 14

So is anyone going to say Brees is twice as good as Marino?
No one is saying that.

What people are saying is, if a guy who has to be a quick learner and a good student (to learn a complicated offense) and be able to think on his feet has the intelligence of a soap dish, it could be an issue.

marino1348 said:
Didnt Marino score like a 14 on the test? He was an absolutely terrible QB. At least Vince Young doesn't do coccaine.
A score of 14 and 6 are really different. Fourteen means you can read. Six means that you're capable enough to clean toliets without drowning.

unifiedtheory said:
No one is saying that.

What people are saying is, if a guy who has to be a quick learner and a good student (to learn a complicated offense) and be able to think on his feet has the intelligence of a soap dish, it could be an issue.

Yet Marino who scored lower took less time to adjust to the pro game than Brees did

The test shouldnt even be used it has nothing to do with football knowledge

dolphindude13 said:
I guess you don't think the supporting cast on the team around a QB makes any difference either? Vandy's 1st wide reciever couldn't have made USC's or Texas's team! Should Cutler be penalized for that? How about an O-line that might have a tough time competing at the high school level...should that be factored in?
What is sad as you call it, is when you see an opinion different than your own, your the 1st one to jump on and point out the so called innacuracies of that post.
Mark this down and save it or whatever....I guarantee in 5 years Cutler will be a much better QB than Young!

Well, clearly you are a Cutler fanatic, so I guess I understand the misplaced outrage.

I wasn't insulting Cutler. I was simply saying that the "bad passer" insults being lobbed at Young are inaccurate.

I did that by comparing him to two GOOD passers, see there?

So calm down, no one is insulting your guy.

And by the way, where was I inaccurate? Did I post the wrong numbers? No...

Alex22 said:
Yet Marino who scored lower took less time to adjust to the pro game than Brees did

Terrible comparison. There was only one Dan Marino, the only person even comparable is Peyton Manning, no one played like him. The have been many Drew Brees', he is just a good player, Marino was a great.

Dan Marino's come once in a lifetime, Drew Brees' pop up all over the place.

B-LO said:
Six means that you're capable enough to clean toliets without drowning.

Keep getting the picture of Peter Griffin (Family Guy) with water wings on drowning in his bowl of soup.

"Lois, the water wings didnt even work"

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Indirectly it may have bearing...I am not ready to say VY couldnt succeed in the NFL as a QB whether he did or didnt actually score a 6. But his ability to comprehend and fully understand things matter on and off the field.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/ar...14101609990001

The Wonderlic Personnel Test has 50 questions, which players are given 12 minutes to answer. According to the company that creates these tests, "The WPT is a short form measure of cognitive ability designed for simple administration and interpretation."

The test is designed to measure one's ability to:
· Learn a specific job
· Solve problems
· Understand instructions
· Apply knowledge to new situations
· Benefit from specific job training
· Be satisfied with a particular problem

However, the results of these Wonderlic tests are viewed differently by each team, coach and scout -- if they are viewed at all.

Pro Football Hall of Fame coach and draft wizard Bill Walsh agrees that the Wonderlic is something worth referencing in some instances, but not really the last word regarding a player's intelligence.

"Functional intelligence is the key," Walsh said. "There have been Hall of Fame quarterbacks who would have scored fairly low on these tests. But they were great football players, competitors and decision processors on the field.

Maybe he didnt score a 6, but if he did, just like many other "red flags" its just makes things harder for a professional organization to justify paying alot of money to someone when other players are there with less "known" risk.

Great insight. I have heard coaches say not to let the test be the say all. I gotta wonder if he just blew through this thing and didnt care. His speech is lazy. I dont see that as lack of intelligence but rather how cool he is and that is his rep, that he is cool under fire. One thing is for sure, people will start to dig deeper, including Saban cus VY could drop..........right into our laps. Does Mularky want him? oh, the things you could do.

anthony! said:
Terrible comparison. There was only one Dan Marino, the only person even comparable is Peyton Manning, no one played like him. The have been many Drew Brees', he is just a good player, Marino was a great.

Dan Marino's come once in a lifetime, Drew Brees pop up all over the place.

Physical Talent isnt the point at all here

Its the mental aspect and ability to MENTALLY adjust to the NFL game

Marino Adjusted Mentally far faster than Brees who is seemingly a much smarter person.

The tests dont mean anything

finfan54 said:
Great insight. I have heard coaches say not to let the test be the say all. I gotta wonder if he just blew through this thing and didnt care. His speech is lazy. I dont see that as lack of intelligence but rather how cool he is and that is his rep, that he is cool under fire. One thing is for sure, people will start to dig deeper, including Saban cus VY could drop..........right into our laps. Does Mularky want him? oh, the things you could do.
i doubt he's too smart if he just blew through it, risking millions knowing he could drop. and the test isn't hard, why would he blow through it? he's dumb.

Alex22 said:
Physical Talent isnt the point at all here

Its the mental aspect and ability to MENTALLY adjust to the NFL game

Marino Adjusted Mentally far faster than Brees who is seemingly a much smarter person.

The tests dont mean anything

They do. Marino isn't a smart guy, Brees is much more intelligent. But the fact is Marino is one in a million. He was born to play football. He didn't adjust to the game, the game adjusted to him. Are you willing to say Vince Young is even remotely similar to Marino in that aspect? That would be sheer ignorance. Vince Young will have to adapt and go through alot of growing pains... see Mike Vick.

Disgustipate said:
If he really scored a 6, then that's going to take him off the board as a QB and put him on the board as a WR for alot of teams.

RIIIIIGGGGHHHHHHTTTTT..........were you the one asking about swicthing Zach to SS??
Young is a QB on 32 team boards. If someone were to even suggest moving him to WR he would just flat refuse to play for them. I don't care if he scored a .o6 on the wonderlic he is not going to be a WR.

anthony! said:

Dan Marino's come once in a lifetime, Drew Brees' pop up all over the place.

They do?? If there are Drew Brees type talent hanging around on every street corner why oh why have the fins been able to find one since Dan left. I agree Brees is no Danny,but come on now they don't just grow on trees. Brees is a special player and person.....if ya don't believe me ask him mom.....or his agent.

Alex22 said:

While there are exceptions - good quarterbacks who score low and bad quarterbacks who score high - the test is used for a reason. 20 is considered low for a quarterback. 14, assuming that's what Marino scored, is below average, and approaches cause for considerable alarm. (I saw a score reported of 16, but I've also seen 14. We'll go with 14 in case.) 6 is a score that even a 4th-grade remedial student would be disappointed with, and for a potential first-round pick you're now adding the risk his signing bonus could be blown immediately on a Ponzi scheme.

Quarterbacks who have had any measure of success with scores below 20 include:

2004: Jim Sorgi, 14
2002: David Garrard, 14
1999: Donovan McNabb, 16,12
1999: Daunte Culpepper, 18,21,15
1999: Aaron Brooks, 17
1995: Steve McNair, 15
1995: Kordell Stewart, 15,12
1987: Vinny Testaverde, 18
1985: Randall Cunningham, 15
1983: Dan Marino, 14

The lowest of these is Kordell Stewart at an average of 13.5. Stewart became known for his bonehead decisions. The next lowest average score is 14, with four guys. Marino, McNabb, Sorgi, and Garrard. One is legendary, one is pretty good, one looks good in limited time on a star-loaded team, and one looks decent.

http://www.unc.edu/~mirabile/Wonderlic.htm

In general, quarterbacks with scores that low seem destined to either never play a down in the NFL or play poorly. It's been mentioned that only Oscar Davenport (who?) scored as low as a 6.

Back
Top Bottom