Merged: PFW's take on Chambers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: PFW's take on Chambers

Golphindolphin

town drunk
Club Member
Reaction score
PFW's take on Chambers

Dolphins WR Chambers slow to regain rousing rookie form

PFW: What is keeping Chambers from regaining his rookie form?

Reynolds: The greatest factor is the lack of balance that bogged the offense down last season. RB Ricky Williams gained 1,853 rushing yards, and the offense rarely threatened down the field. Part of that was Jay Fiedler’s injury  the Dolphins didn’t trust backup Ray Lucas to make deep throws, especially on post patterns or routes that brought the safety positions into play. And part of it was Chambers not having a reliable No. 2 receiver opposite him. Oronde Gadsden was banged up, and James McKnight and Dedric Ward are bit players who can have big games on occasion, but neither makes the “must stop†list on opponents’ defensive game plans. Chambers had an up-and-down season in 2002, but it wasn’t a typical sophomore slump. What many scouts argue is Chambers is less effective these days because of the vicious hit he took from Broncos S Kenoy Kennedy at Denver in Week Six, a helmet-to-helmet blast on a slant pattern that earned Kennedy a fine. From that point on, Chambers displayed unsure hands over the middle and always felt the safety coming toward him after short catches. What that did, in turn, was make Chambers a one-dimensional threat as a receiver. “All he wanted to do was run the vertical stuff,†said one AFC East pro scout. “He didn’t do much against us because we made him cut everything off short.†Chambers has not looked great in the preseason and is working as the team’s No. 2 receiver to Derrius Thompson. But Thompson can stretch the field and will draw the safety in zone coverage at times, allowing Chambers to again find his comfort zone. Thompson is the talk of Dolphins camp, and Miami believes he will be a gem worth polishing in Norv Turner’s play-action passing game. Chambers’ role changes, reverting more to what he was asked to do as a rookie  use his size and speed to get open deep. Once he establishes himself down the field again, the hope is, Chambers will round into the complete receiver the Dolphins envision.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Spins/2003/spins082703.htm

Chambers has not looked great in the preseason and is working as the team’s No. 2 receiver to Derrius Thompson

Wow, we had the balls to make Thompson the #1? I'm impressed.

Hey, it's the truth right now.

If Thompson is our #2 WR, Ricky ain't gettin' much this year!

I wonder if Wannstedt would have the guts to start McKnight in Chambers place if indeed he does stink it up and is seen as unreliable on short passes over the middle.. If you do not play up to par.. You should be getting replaced.. That goes for Chambers, McMichael, Ogunleye, Fletcher and Freeman and the other young guns that havent played up to "Potential"

How you figure? Ricky got 1800+ yards last year with McK as our #1 because the rest of our WR core was all rattled.

LOL @ Thompson and/or McKnight ahead of Chambers! That's hilarious.

You guys take SOO MUCH out of the preseason, it's funny!

I don't want Ricky taking 350-400 carries this year because our WR's are lolly-gagging around.. Chambers clearly has the potential, he needs to convert it into production..

Originally posted by Peanut
LOL @ Thompson and/or McKnight ahead of Chambers! That's hilarious.
You guys take SOO MUCH out of the preseason, it's funny!

If indeed Chambers does run around with gator arms when going over the middle, he will need to be replaced cause that would make our offense too predictable.. Everyone would know what routes Chambers would be running and wouldnt have to worry about him catching anything up the middle.. I hope he does get his head straight.. If not, McKnight will have to start stretching the field and we'd be pinning our hopes on him to make some big plays..

DT ain't no #1, I'll say it 100 more times if you guys want me to..

I realize you like Chambers, but you've got to have some dose of reality in there. Chambers hasnt played like a #1 WR yet. Last season he didnt, this offseason he didnt. Thompson last season played excellent when Ramsey got settled, and he was one of the top 5 recievers in the league over that 5 game stretch.

He is the #1 right now the way Chamber's is playing whether anyone designates him that way or not

All this Chambers talk is ridiculous. People it's pre-season, the guy is going to be fine.

I think it's legit talk. He's never proven he can be the #1 guy before. It's not just this preseason. So here's to hoping Chambers shows his stuff this year.

Back
Top Bottom