Merged: PFW's take on Chambers | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: PFW's take on Chambers

"Great Post by SuperPhins from the Herald Forum"

"Just Wait Until The Season Starts"

Norv's Offense

There has been some talk as what we want to see out of our passing game this year.
Here is what I know about Norv's offense.

1st - establish the running game. While we're attempting to do that - Norv is watching how the defense lines up and begins to select the next series of plays to counter it. Sometimes the first few series Norv uses his first set of plays to set up something else later. He does this while we're attempting to set the tempo and establish our strength which is the running game.

2nd - after that's been done - we begin to use more motion - we pass on 1st down to soften up the defense against Ricky - we run some naked bootlegs to create mis-direction and get the defense moving horizontally instead of forward. We begin to get more players involved as the game goes on - the TE, FB and #3 receiver.

Norv always has a receiver running a route underneath the coverage to give his QB a safety target - especially on 3rd down. This route may be short of the 1st down but it's a last resort. It's a high percentage pass that gives the QB a low risk play and it gives the receiver a chance to break a tackle and get the 1st down - rather than the QB throwing it away forcing us to punt.

3rd - we continue all of this waiting for the right time to call a play-action fake - to go deep for a big play. We might do this 2 or 3 times per game depending on the personnel the opposing defense has.

Yes Jay has to be more accurate and yes!!!!! Chambers has to fight harder for the ball. That's a weakness of his that will be the difference in him being a great receiver or a decent receiver. Thompson can get deep also. We'll keep working on it. But we won't be good at it until the rest of the offense is working. We are not - I REPEAT - ARE NOT - a spread it out passing team. We ARE a RUN FIRST - PLAY-ACTION passing team.

Wait for the regular season before we start saying we can't do this and we can't do that. We don't know yet. I'd rather we start to hit on those deep balls when the games count. Work on it in the preseason and execute in the regular season. if Jay is missing passes after a few games then all of you who have concerns about this will be validated. But if we're winning who cares. lol

Until then - it doesn't matter. Look at Ricky's rushing stats in the PS - 14-9. Is that an indication of what's to come?????? I don't think so. Remember, when his numbers go up - then our chances of hitting on the deep ball goes up.

By: SuperPhins

"Just Wait Until The Season Starts"

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Peanut, based on what you've seen of Chris, how is he going right now in your eyes? I think he has the potential to have a great year. But if I have to grade him right now, he's a C avg. receiver. This coming year, I don't know for sure right now. Are you grading him from his rookie year, last year, or what? What are you basing your assessment on?

I get what you're saying. But honestly, Thompson isn't playing much better in the preseason than Chris! And yall know CC is tearing up practice, but on the field.. what the hell has Thompson done that is giving him so much props? 1 catch game one, then 1 or 2, then 2. WOW!

Demoting Chambers before September 8th(after Texans game), would be SICK!

Originally posted by Peanut

I get what you're saying. But honestly, Thompson isn't playing much better in the preseason than Chris! And yall know CC is tearing up practice, but on the field.. what the hell has Thompson done that is giving him so much props? 1 catch game one, then 1 or 2, then 2. WOW!

exsactly

Back
Top Bottom