MERGED: Ricky's run already ended | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Ricky's run already ended

wazzy said:
DING DING round 2 lets get it on!

I think your both sort of right he can come back and do something but i doubt it because he is missing the first 4 games and hes late on learning the offense and by then Ronnie Brown will have locked the spot up with a couple hundred yard games hopefully.

But who knows what he can really do like the 1 person stated

In theory who knows what anyone is capable of. That's not really a smart way to run a football team though. And with two years left in him, as stated by Ricky, what in the world can we really accomplish? Realistically speaking. Especially when you look at all the people coming and going on this team and all the question marks.

enigmatics said:
How can one be in their prime when they retired at 27, proceeded to go on a weed binge, travel all over Asia, and lose 35+ lbs oh and not play a down of football? This isn't just a man pulling his rusted bicycle out of the garage and riding it again for the first time in a long time.

Again, since you conveniently forgot to read what I wrote a couple of responses ago I shall spell it out for you again. For starters, Ricky cannot participate with the team till training camp in July. He will have missed all the prior schools and minicamps to get acclimated offenses' language and terminology down. Once he rejoins the team he will be subjected to an even grander media burden than he's ever seen in his lifetime thus far. For a man suffering from a slew of mental problems, you think this is going to be easy? Or how about the burnt bridges in the lockeroom? This is a tall order for a man who left the game partially because he had no love for it anymore. You have to love something down to the ugly crust if you're willing to put up with the crap this man is about to face.

Now let's look at team issues affecting Ricky. Again, QB play will determine all we need to know about our running game. If we cannot pass, it won't matter who's running the ball. As it stands we've got a creative, offensive coordinator in Linehan, but who's going to QB it and do it effectively? Frerotte has the leg up because of prior experience, but what good does that do when nobody else on the offense does? Speaking of which, the O-line is still a massive question mark, regardless of Houck coaching them. The recievers have to learn their new passing game.

NOTHING is solidified on this team. Every single area on offense is a huge question mark, whether it's due to new players, new coaching, or new playbook. How is Ricky, a man who hasn't played a down in over a year, going to come in and become Ricky 1,800 again? Anybody who realistically looked at the situation could hope for an average season at best. Why waste all that time just for average? The man is leaving after two years because is debt will have been repaid by then. I'd rather watch other players develop.

You'd rather watch other players develop..ok. But you said yourself that Ronnie Brown isn't going to be able to carry the weight of the team alone after sharing the load in college. So who are we going to "develop"? Sammy Morris is a converted FB who will either move back there or be cut. Travis Minor is a decent change of pace back but he is past the "development" point. Lamar Gordon is so injury prone that he has to be careful when he goes for a walk. SO who do you suggest we use to help Ronnie?

Again, noone is expecting the 1800 yard Ricky. But again, having him here to help ROnnie makes alot of sense. He will be the best option.

There is no question RW will be under heavy scrutiny. No doubt about it. And he already KNOWS that. He may be weird, but he isn't stupid. I'm sure he is anticipating that. But when he steps on the field, the only thing that matters at that point is IS he playing hard. Saban has already discussed RWs return with the team and it's apparent that the majority is ok with him coming back. If the majority had said NO, then I doubt seriously Saban would have even pursued this to this point.
Yes, the offense is a question mark. But it's been a question mark since Jimmy Johnson got here. So that is nothing new. The offense we are running is new. But since the players have had the play book since Linehan was hired, I would say there is a good chance that the players already have the terminology down - which is the most difficult part of it. Saban said himself: "Football plays are football plays- it's just the terminology that is different."
AS for RW not knowing the offense: Well, he has basically all of training camp to learn it and then 5 weeks after that to study it more. Gordon was with us all of a week before he got put into the game last year and ran the ball. There are ways to call plays that simplify things for a player who is behind.
Again, there are tons of IFs on both sides of this argument and it will not be settled until the players start playing so we'll see then. Who knows, he may not come back at all. And who knows, he may play very well. Noone knows.

enigmatics said:
Have you ever written well-thought out commentary? :rofl3:

Every time I have something to say, I back it up with as many facts as possible. But like ANY commentary (including yours) it is opinion. But I do at least try to provide some backbone to my argument. You usually just simply disagree, insult the poster and the player and stir crap. That does little for your credibility.

SCall13 said:
You'd rather watch other players develop..ok. But you said yourself that Ronnie Brown isn't going to be able to carry the weight of the team alone after sharing the load in college. So who are we going to "develop"? Sammy Morris is a converted FB who will either move back there or be cut. Travis Minor is a decent change of pace back but he is past the "development" point. Lamar Gordon is so injury prone that he has to be careful when he goes for a walk. SO who do you suggest we use to help Ronnie?

Where did I mention Travis Minor? I also NEVER said Ronnie couldn't handle the load, I said I could understand the logic that Saban might have by having a 2nd back. Regardless of Gordon's injuries, he could be a change of pace back. We've got a man with a chip on his shoulders in Kay-Jay Harris who wants desperately to prove every one who passed on him in all 7 rounds of the draft wrong.

scall13 said:
Again, noone is expecting the 1800 yard Ricky. But again, having him here to help ROnnie makes alot of sense. He will be the best option.

There is no question RW will be under heavy scrutiny. No doubt about it. And he already KNOWS that. He may be weird, but he isn't stupid. I'm sure he is anticipating that. But when he steps on the field, the only thing that matters at that point is IS he playing hard. Saban has already discussed RWs return with the team and it's apparent that the majority is ok with him coming back. If the majority had said NO, then I doubt seriously Saban would have even pursued this to this point.

The majority? What? Now you're making things up. I heard Chris Chambers say it. Zach said it at one point last year after another butt-whoopin' they endured.

scall13 said:
Yes, the offense is a question mark. But it's been a question mark since Jimmy Johnson got here. So that is nothing new. The offense we are running is new. But since the players have had the play book since Linehan was hired, I would say there is a good chance that the players already have the terminology down - which is the most difficult part of it. Saban said himself: "Football plays are football plays- it's just the terminology that is different."
AS for RW not knowing the offense: Well, he has basically all of training camp to learn it and then 5 weeks after that to study it more. Gordon was with us all of a week before he got put into the game last year and ran the ball. There are ways to call plays that simplify things for a player who is behind.
Again, there are tons of IFs on both sides of this argument and it will not be settled until the players start playing so we'll see then. Who knows, he may not come back at all. And who knows, he may play very well. Noone knows.

What are these so-called plays you can call to simplify a new offense to a player showing up late to a team? Seriously, I'd love to be privy to this magical way that you only seem to know about. Gordon looked lost last year by the way. He talked a big game when he first arrived, but blew plenty of blocking assignments and holes because he was unfamiliar with the team and especially with it's bad O-line that still hasn't changed yet!!! The offense, by the way, has never been as big of a question mark as it is this year. At least in years past we had continuity on the O-line. They were able to pass protect.

You've backed off your high and mighty Ricky will return to form claims from other threads........and nobody knows the future is indeed true and you can say that about anything because anything can happen. Yet when you're running a team it appears foolish to re-enlist a man who walked out on it a year ago, when he's only going to play for 2 years to repay debt. I mean seriously, noticed how he made a point to say only 2 years. We're not realistically in a compete now mode. It would be different if we were the Jaguars who are rumored to be trying to aquire Shaun Alexander. They'd have both Freddy T and Alexander. That would be quite the whallop. It would also take some of that load of Taylor. They're in a compete now mode and they know Shaun could play for well over 2 years.

SCall13 said:
Every time I have something to say, I back it up with as many facts as possible. But like ANY commentary (including yours) it is opinion. But I do at least try to provide some backbone to my argument. You usually just simply disagree, insult the poster and the player and stir crap. That does little for your credibility.

No.

enigmatics said:
Where did I mention Travis Minor? I also NEVER said Ronnie couldn't handle the load, I said I could understand the logic that Saban might have by having a 2nd back. Regardless of Gordon's injuries, he could be a change of pace back. We've got a man with a chip on his shoulders in Kay-Jay Harris who wants desperately to prove every one who passed on him in all 7 rounds of the draft wrong.

The majority? What? Now you're making things up. I heard Chris Chambers say it. Zach said it at one point last year after another butt-whoopin' they endured.

What are these so-called plays you can call to simplify a new offense to a player showing up late to a team? Seriously, I'd love to be privy to this magical way that you only seem to know about. Gordon looked lost last year by the way. He talked a big game when he first arrived, but blew plenty of blocking assignments and holes because he was unfamiliar with the team and especially with it's bad O-line that still hasn't changed yet!!! The offense, by the way, has never been as big of a question mark as it is this year. At least in years past we had continuity on the O-line. They were able to pass protect.

You've backed off your high and mighty Ricky will return to form claims from other threads........and nobody knows the future is indeed true and you can say that about anything because anything can happen. Yet when you're running a team it appears foolish to re-enlist a man who walked out on it a year ago, when he's only going to play for 2 years to repay debt. I mean seriously, noticed how he made a point to say only 2 years. We're not realistically in a compete now mode. It would be different if we were the Jaguars who are rumored to be trying to aquire Shaun Alexander. They'd have both Freddy T and Alexander. That would be quite the whallop. It would also take some of that load of Taylor. They're in a compete now mode and they know Shaun could play for well over 2 years.

The difference between GOrdon and Williams is O B V I O U S. Ricky will have CAMP and 5 more weeks to get the offense. Gordon had a week.
AS for Kay Jay and a chip on his shoulder: So WHAT? Mike Tyson has a chip on his shoulder but he still keeps getting knocked out. A chip on a shoulder doesn't equate to a good football player or anything else.
I havent backed off of thinking RW will return to form. He will play well. But he will play LESS.
AS for players saying they would be OK with RW coming back: I didn't say anything about any quotes saying they'd welcome him back. If you pay attention I said that Saban more than likely got OKs from the majority of the team before pursuing RW.
I know the offense hasn't been AS big a question mark as this year. But it's effectiveness has ALWAYS been brought in to question. But in my opinion, after all is said and done, this could be the best offense we've had in many years whether RW comes back or not. I think the O Line will play leaps and bounds better and that will make the difference. We've gotten rid of probably the WORST O Line coach in the league and replaced him with a top3 O Line coach.
Saban obviously sees something in RW. He knows he can't trade him this year. SO it's obvious Saban wants him here to PLAY. IF Saban feels Ricky can help Miami who are you or I to argue. The guy knows football better than either of us. My OPINION is RW can help us. Yours is that he won't help us. Obviously I'm not going to (or trying to) change YOUR mind. And you aren't going to change mine. So I'm going to leave it at that.

SCall13 said:
The difference between GOrdon and Williams is O B V I O U S. Ricky will have CAMP and 5 more weeks to get the offense. Gordon had a week.
AS for Kay Jay and a chip on his shoulder: So WHAT? Mike Tyson has a chip on his shoulder but he still keeps getting knocked out. A chip on a shoulder doesn't equate to a good football player or anything else.
I havent backed off of thinking RW will return to form. He will play well. But he will play LESS.
AS for players saying they would be OK with RW coming back: I didn't say anything about any quotes saying they'd welcome him back. If you pay attention I said that Saban more than likely got OKs from the majority of the team before pursuing RW.
I know the offense hasn't been AS big a question mark as this year. But it's effectiveness has ALWAYS been brought in to question. But in my opinion, after all is said and done, this could be the best offense we've had in many years whether RW comes back or not. I think the O Line will play leaps and bounds better and that will make the difference. We've gotten rid of probably the WORST O Line coach in the league and replaced him with a top3 O Line coach.
Saban obviously sees something in RW. He knows he can't trade him this year. SO it's obvious Saban wants him here to PLAY. IF Saban feels Ricky can help Miami who are you or I to argue. The guy knows football better than either of us. My OPINION is RW can help us. Yours is that he won't help us. Obviously I'm not going to (or trying to) change YOUR mind. And you aren't going to change mine. So I'm going to leave it at that.

Mike Tyson has a chip on his shoulder? OK now I've seen it all from you. It's funny you mention him. He's massively in debt. Hmmmmm sound like somebody we know? That's the only thing that keeps him in the ring. And man, do you even know what you're saying in previous threads? Here's what you said about the team approving Ricky...

Saban has already discussed RWs return with the team and it's apparent that the majority is ok with him coming back.

and after I called you out on it, here's what you said you said.....
I didn't say anything about any quotes saying they'd welcome him back. If you pay attention I said that Saban more than likely got OKs from the majority of the team before pursuing RW.

LOL.........c'mon man. You went from an adamant "Saban already discussed" to "Saban more than likely got the ok" ........neither of which have any factual basis.

And if you haven't noticed yet, Saban's not one of those guys where he lets players dictate to him. He does the dictating. He decides who he wants on the team and it is my opinion this is the one huge error in his decision making so far. I am allowed to have this view. I help pay the man's salary. I don't have to blindly follow anything and everything a coach does. A healthy degree of skepticism is good for all teams.

Good read, and may be more realistic than we want to be. I definitely agree with this statement.

"If Ricky comes back, his only value will come in helping to keep Brown fresh."

That would be the best thing to come out of this. Share the load of Ronnie until we are rebuilt.. No use burning him out before we are ready for the Superbowl. And no we are not ready yet. I'm going to take some abuse from the people who think we will have the greatest offense on earth (despite a crappy line that will improve somewhat under Houck). And that we will somehow absorb the losses in the secondary. Look we are building toward a great yrear soon, but until it's here, let Ricky take some more abuse for Ronnie, our new "man".

BIGRED11 said:
why does everyone hate us:feedback:

Agreed. I have often asked this question as well. Conspiracy perhaps? Oh well...my only guess is because weve had...

The best QB of all-time
The best Coach of all-time
The best single season of all-time

Other than that....they should have no reason. Just my opinion of course. ;)

SCall13 said:
What I don't get is the hypocrisy when it comes to Ricky and D. Boston. David Boston was taking NFL banned substances. He was doing it knowingly and risking being suspended by the league. Had he not gotten injured, he WOULD have been suspended by the league, which would essentially been the same thing as walking out on his team because he knew what he was doing was going to get him suspended. yet, most of the people on the board who trash RW, welcomed Boston back with open arms. Yes, there are some differences -but there are quite a few similarities as well.

That's a total copout calling it basically the same thing, or even close. Boston got caught, and I don't recall hearing about him even thinking of quiting because he faced suspension, or substance abuse programming.

Ricky turned coat on his team. That's the bottom line. If he had stayed and faced the music, and worked to get himself clean then I would have absolutely no beef with him.....

Back
Top Bottom