Merged Ronnie Brown just ran 4.32 | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged Ronnie Brown just ran 4.32

Hostile7 said:
Oklahoma is still better then then every team - the Trojans. USC can run, and throw, and are unpredictable. Texas is very predictable and everyone, uncluding Stoops know who's getting the rock.

What I don't get is how can you use this against him, when we saw the same thing happen to Ricky when Fiedler was QB. We all knew the Dolphins offense was on dimensional team, and it's the same with Texas... You're being a hypocrite (unless you're one of every member here that believes Miami had a true passing threat and ignored the 8-9 men defensive fronts).

First, Oklahoma was significantly over-rated. They were probably the 4th to the 6th best team in football. Auburn would have lost to USC in all probability but it would have been much closer.

Second, what I'm saying about Benson (and I watched him in a lot of games) is that when he played against good competition, he was average. And, even against poor competition, he would have a ton of mediocre runs. He didn't generate the power that his body size would indicate, nor the elusiveness that other great backs show. Before this whole Brown/Benson/Williams competition - before the season was over, in fact, I was not highly impressed with Benson over the past two years. I think he's over-rated. When he had huge holes - he did fine (as would a dozen other Div. I backs). When he, had to break tackles at the line of scrimmage - he was not so great. Sure he broke a few, but I just didn't see him as being great.

He may be that - but I didn't see it in his college days. It took him a TON of carries to get those yards.

Hostile7 said:
Have you not seen the "who's on the bandwagon threads, 4.32?"
Hence why I said "Not everyone".

Hostile7 said:
Actually, many experts don't agree, and believe Benson is the #1 back. Which why the guy at the combine said "although benson is 3rd on my list, he's first on almost everyone elses."
And Brandt said that many people (he may have even said "teams") felt Brown was the best even prior to running today.

So I take it you want Edwards, huh Hostile?

Seriously though, I couldn't care less which one we pick. I would be happy with any of the three. I am still holding on to the hope that we can trade down.

I just went to about six different draft sites. All of them have Benson rated highest. Several of them say he is the best elite back prosepect in a few years, and all of them think Brown is a good all around back but is widely unknow because he had to share the load. Also many say he has problems with injuries.

Still sounds like Benson to me.

Phinnhedd said:
Ronnie Brown just ran a 4.32 and weighs in at 232
great time and great weight. Sounds like an inside and outside runner who can turn on the burners!! IDEAL.

fin-atic said:
I just went to about six different draft sites. All of them have Benson rated highest. Several of them say he is the best elite back prosepect in a few years, and all of them think Brown is a good all around back but is widely unknow because he had to share the load. Also many say he has problems with injuries.

Benson missed three games in his career, Brown missed 5. None of Browns injuries were serious, he could've played in the game he missed this year but they held him out as a precaution.

Boomer said:
Unless Benson matches, that blows the RB field away. Awesome.
Hey Boomer,

That has to propel him into the top 5 eh? I think just that fact that he ran at the combine will raise his stock even further. I no longer have any doubts(not that I had many) that Brown is worthy of the #2 pick in the draft when compared to the other talent available in this years draft. Now if we can con a 1st out of someone for Surtain(not likely), we could pick up another solid player to fill another need. if we get a mid second rounder for Pat and we take Ronnie #2, who do you think would be a good pick up in round 2? My guess could be either a safety(Shazor?), a QB (Cambell?) or a second tier Dlineman(Swancutt?)

fin-atic said:

Because a bunch of mock drafts say so?? In my opinion I'm still not sure who I want. All three are good backs and I would be happy with any of them, but I would prefer to trade down and get more picks along with one of them.

fin-atic said:

I suspect Brandt was speaking about REAL scouts in the NFL - who do it for a living, not the draftnicks sitting at home watching cable and putting their ideas on the 'net (not that they aren't decent - but ...).

General Tso said:
Not everyone is jumping on a band wagaon based on a 40 time, many of us have been saying Brown is the best RB in the draft the entire time. And from Gil Brandt and Mike Mayock's statements today, it appears many NFL experts agree.

Brown even surprised those of us who've been saying he's the best... I knew he had breakaway speed but never dreamed he'd run a 4.32 at Indy.

I agree General I am one of the ones who wanted Brown over the other two since day one...Now I am not an expert or anything, but just basing it on the few times that I saw all three play...I liked his power and now added with his 4.32...WOW!!

Here's how I see it (NO I'm not a professional scout or anything like that. This is just one schmoes opinions based on what he's seen from these guys :D )

Benson: Best between the tackles runner in the draft. Fits the definition of the word "workhorse". Won't go down easy, has good speed and vision. Not a great receiver and a decent blocker. Did have a tendency to disappear in big games. Rumored to be a "me-first" type of player that might rub some teammates the wrong way. Should be a 1,000 yard rusher and franchise back

Williams: Elusive and shifty. Excellent vision and cutback ability. not the fastest but looks quicker than he really is. Decent receiver (but he's working hard to improve that) and not much of a blocker. Seems like the type of player who'll get tackled in the backfield a few times..then bust out a long run. Should be a 1,000 rusher and a possible franchise back (think Curtis Martin)

Brown: Most complete back (running,receiving, blocking) Great speed and vision. Runs hard and can bounce it to the outside when needed. Excellent receiver. good blocker. Never carried the load for a full season. Not as good between the tackles as Benson and not as elusive and shifty as Williams. Should be a 1,000 yard rusher and possible franchise back (in the right system that uses all of Brown's abilities)

Geez...I wouldn't mind having either one of these guys. Personally I'd prefer Brown (who I've liked way before today's combine) but I wouldn't be upset if we drafted any of the other 2.

fin-atic said:

Brown's a had a few injuries, but they wern't that big. When I look at games where Cadillac was hurt, it seems RB carries were up and down, followed by a minor injury. The red light goes off when I see that, but i wouldn't say he's injury prone. Then again, he only carries the ball 10-15 times again. Wait till he has to do it 25 times for 16 games. It's a concern.

If Caddy runs a 4.0 or something, we're gonna get 1000 more threads of "draft Cadillac!!!!."

Brown had a monster 40, but that doesn't really mean anything for his position.

Drills most important to their position.
Bench press- Lineman, and WR (to get off the jam).
40 yard dash- WR, DB
Cone Drill- RB, WR.

Back
Top Bottom