Merged Ronnie Brown just ran 4.32 | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged Ronnie Brown just ran 4.32

Da 'Fins said:
First, Oklahoma was significantly over-rated. They were probably the 4th to the 6th best team in football. Auburn would have lost to USC in all probability but it would have been much closer.

Second, what I'm saying about Benson (and I watched him in a lot of games) is that when he played against good competition, he was average. And, even against poor competition, he would have a ton of mediocre runs. He didn't generate the power that his body size would indicate, nor the elusiveness that other great backs show. Before this whole Brown/Benson/Williams competition - before the season was over, in fact, I was not highly impressed with Benson over the past two years. I think he's over-rated. When he had huge holes - he did fine (as would a dozen other Div. I backs). When he, had to break tackles at the line of scrimmage - he was not so great. Sure he broke a few, but I just didn't see him as being great.

He may be that - but I didn't see it in his college days. It took him a TON of carries to get those yards.
I will say this in Benson's defense, they have a stat on him that says 58% of his career yardage came after 1st contact. So he had to be doing some good at breaking tackles. That being said, Browns performance at the combine has solidified him as my choice for the #2 overall pick ... as it has been for a long time.:up:

Hostile7 said:
Want to see Browns carries against good defenses (2004)?

Gerogia- 12 carries, 43 yards.
Tennesee 16 carries, 50 yards.
Alabama 16 carries, 53 yards.
If those stats are true, then Brown doesnt seem like that great of a runningback. 12 carries for ONLY 43 yards? 16 carries for ONLY 50 yards? 16 carries for ONLY 53 yards??? Why didnt he ever gain like 100 yards? I dont know but those stats are discouraging. What are Benson's stats?

ItalianDolFan said:
If those stats are true, then Brown doesnt seem like that great of a runningback. 12 carries for ONLY 43 yards? 16 carries for ONLY 50 yards? 16 carries for ONLY 53 yards??? Why didnt he ever gain like 100 yards? I dont know but those stats are discouraging. What are Benson's stats?
wasnt Cadillac also playing? or was that when he was injured

Noodle Arm said:
Here's how I see it (NO I'm not a professional scout or anything like that. This is just one schmoes opinions based on what he's seen from these guys :D )

Benson: Best between the tackles runner in the draft. Fits the definition of the word "workhorse". Won't go down easy, has good speed and vision. Not a great receiver and a decent blocker. Did have a tendency to disappear in big games. Rumored to be a "me-first" type of player that might rub some teammates the wrong way. Should be a 1,000 yard rusher and franchise back

Williams: Elusive and shifty. Excellent vision and cutback ability. not the fastest but looks quicker than he really is. Decent receiver (but he's working hard to improve that) and not much of a blocker. Seems like the type of player who'll get tackled in the backfield a few times..then bust out a long run. Should be a 1,000 rusher and a possible franchise back (think Curtis Martin)

Brown: Most complete back (running,receiving, blocking) Great speed and vision. Runs hard and can bounce it to the outside when needed. Excellent receiver. good blocker. Never carried the load for a full season. Not as good between the tackles as Benson and not as elusive and shifty as Williams. Should be a 1,000 yard rusher and possible franchise back (in the right system that uses all of Brown's abilities)

Geez...I wouldn't mind having either one of these guys. Personally I'd prefer Brown (who I've liked way before today's combine) but I wouldn't be upset if we drafted any of the other 2.
Another thing you have to consider, which of the three fit Linehans offence? Brown hands down fits the best with his receiving ability. Now that he has gone out and smoked the field in the 40, ya cant help but want this guy bad. Saban said he wants a difference maker and Brown, to me, just screams playmaker. Im sold on him at #2. Nothing anyone else can say will convince me otherwise.

I dont know these players too well. Im just taking what I hear from you guys...did Cadillac and Ronnie Brown play on the same team????

ih8brady said:
Hey Boomer, who would you say Ronnie Brown reminds you of the most?

Me?

OK then. LaDanian Tomlinson meets Corey Dillon. A sort of hybrid of those 2.

fin-atic said:
I just went to about six different draft sites. All of them have Benson rated highest. Several of them say he is the best elite back prosepect in a few years, and all of them think Brown is a good all around back but is widely unknow because he had to share the load. Also many say he has problems with injuries.

Still sounds like Benson to me.
Benson took a pounding at UT (LOTS of carries). I'm glad Brown was not used as much. These RB's, like cars, can only run for so much....

If this MOFO really did run a 4.32 and weighs 230 lbs...hell..I nominate myself as president of the Official Ronnie Brown Nuthugger Club...

And I was not sold on him before, but I am now...

Hostile7 said:
Brown's a had a few injuries, but they wern't that big. When I look at games where Cadillac was hurt, it seems RB carries were up and down, followed by a minor injury. The red light goes off when I see that, but i wouldn't say he's injury prone. Then again, he only carries the ball 10-15 times again. Wait till he has to do it 25 times for 16 games. It's a concern.

If Caddy runs a 4.0 or something, we're gonna get 1000 more threads of "draft Cadillac!!!!."

Brown had a monster 40, but that doesn't really mean anything for his position.

Drills most important to their position.
Bench press- Lineman, and WR (to get off the jam).
40 yard dash- WR, DB
Cone Drill- RB, WR.
I don't think bench press is the most important for an offensive lineman. I think the shadow drill they showed for a little today is much more telling. It shows how well them move in space and how well they use their hands.

Some of those offensive line prospects did not have very good feet (the kid from Iowa was absolutely horrible).

Deuce McAllister with even better speed...

Gunner4u65 said:
Another thing you have to consider, which of the three fit Linehans offence? Brown hands down fits the best with his receiving ability. Now that he has gone out and smoked the field in the 40, ya cant help but want this guy bad. Saban said he wants a difference maker and Brown, to me, just screams playmaker. Im sold on him at #2. Nothing anyone else can say will convince me otherwise.

Oh I definitely agree with you Gunner, I was just trying to show that there's a reason all 3 guys are considered the top 3 backs in the draft. Some people become fixated one one player and think the rest aren't up to par, I'm just trying to say that all three are talented and each bring something different to the table. It's up to Saban and Linehan to decide which one will fit this team best.

You mean to tell me that Auburn had TWO big name runningbacks that are gonna get picked high in the draft??? Since when has that happened before?? Cadillac AND Ronnie???? Thats odd. Buts its pretty sad that a 233 pound guy runs a 4.3 and the other guys who weigh so much less dont run a 4.3. That proves that Ronnie Brown must be damn good, but after seeing his Yardage against 3 top teams....i was discouraged.

They were saying that that the cone drill better evaluates a running back because it times quickness rather than straightline speed like the 40. With that said what was Ronnie Brown's time in that drill?

The only discouraging thing to me about Ronnie is his age. He's already 23 years old and turning 24 late in his first NFL season. For a RB that's pretty late to start. I'm still on the Aaron Rodgers bandwagon along with CK.

I understand people not wanting to just up and join the Ronnie Brown bandwagon because of a fast 40 time. And I expected Ronnie Brown to run a 4.4 seriously at this weight...I mean, that's his profile as a player, he's a great pass catcher, he also blocks very well which will get him on the field EARLY as a rookie, and the guy is hella fast.

But a 4.3 and a 4.4 are different. There's a DIFFERENCE, there. What that does, is put the tapes into context better. Teams were flat out scared of Ronnie Brown, a lot like Reggie Bush in that regard. And you could see the speed on the tapes, you really could. The primary reason nobody, until now, could have imagined Ronnie running damn close to a flat 4.3 in the 40, is because it is just too unbelievable. I mean the guy is 6 foot, 230+ pounds! You don't just assume a 6 foot 230+ pound guy is capable of running a 4.3, even if you've seen the tapes of this guy running really fast on the football field, unless you've actually heard tell of him running that fast.

No doubt about it, this is the 40 time that will be heard round the world. You can't understate how impressive this is. I didn't even think he was going to work out, I thought only Cadillac was going to work out among the big three runningbacks. But to come out to Indy, when SO many other top prospects treat the combine as a place where they have a lot to lose rather than a lot to gain, to come out and accept the challenge, and say, yeah I'll work with everyone and prove myself, on an unfamiliar track in an unfamiliar setting...and run a 4.32 in the 40 is amazing. Simply, amazing.

Does it make him the best back that's ever lived? No. Does the ability to run a 4.3 in the 40 make him a faster, better blocking, and more powerful version of Brian Westbrook? Absolutely.

This 40 time just rocked my world, man...because I honestly didnt think he was even going to run. So half of my being impressed is that he RAN. I mean when guys refuse to run at Indy and run on their home track they are automatically given modifiers on their 40 time by most scouts, so that makes this just so much more impressive.

BUT, I'm not ready to call him the best back in the draft yet. It is just now obvious to me that all three of these backs will end up not just pro bowl CALIBER players, but actual pro bowlers. They will each bring something to the table with their teams. I'm still excited by Cadillac Williams, and if Ronnie Brown was a 4.3 speed guy on the tapes, then I'm kind of excited to see what Cadillac is.

This is the best runningback class at the top half of the first round, than I think I have ever seen. Ever.

ItalianDolFan said:
As I said in another post above, those stats were incorrect in one case and misleading in another. In one of those games Brown had 75+ yards receiving and a TD and in another he had 51 yards on 12 carries, not 43.

And you wanna see some bad stats, look at Benson versus Oklahoma or Benson in a bowl game.

College stats only tell part of the story though... they do not necessarily equate to who is going to be the better pro.

To see all the stats yourself:

Brown
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=103440

Benson
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=120228

Back
Top Bottom