Merged: The Official Trent Green Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The Official Trent Green Thread

Look at Green's numbers in the Vermiel/coreyell system (prior to last year). Herm Edwards changed the KC offense last year. it's obvious that change didn't sit well with Trent.

This whole mentoring thing is way overblown. NFL players are first and foremost concerned with their own careers. TG doesn't seem to keen to mentoring the young QB in KC, so what makes him such a great candidate to do that here?

Exactly; I'm sure players are of the opinion that it's the coach's job to teach and it's their job to play. Obviously, the whole mentor, tutor, whatever you want to call it is a naturally occuring part of the relationship between back ups and starters. But Green is wanting to put his focus on playing to the best of his ability not teaching someone else. If that was his focus, he would just retire and start applying for jobs as a QB coach.

Exactly; I'm sure players are of the opinion that it's the coach's job to teach and it's their job to play. Obviously, the whole mentor, tutor, whatever you want to call it is a naturally occuring part of the relationship between back ups and starters. But Green is wanting to put his focus on playing to the best of his ability not teaching someone else. If that was his focus, he would just retire and start applying for jobs as a QB coach.

Totally.

Remember a couple years back when GB took Rodgers in the first round and everyone talked about how great it was for him to be mentored by Favre? Not too long after that came out Favre said it wasn't his job to mentor anyone, his job is to prepare to play QB and try to get his team to win.

Remember Wayne H making the statement in the beginning of the year he was not interested in rebuilding the Dolphins but in winning right now. Tutoring a rookie QB for a couple of years and hope he works out is rebuilding. If we truly want to have a shot at winning now need to give Culpepper his shot. Throwing a draft pick at Green is just giving away a draft pick something that Cam/Mueller implied that they were not going to do and try build through the draft!

good point

Look at Green's numbers in the Vermiel/coreyell system (prior to last year). Herm Edwards changed the KC offense last year. it's obvious that change didn't sit well with Trent.

While that is a good point, it is hard to tell whether he decline at the end of last year was due soley to the change in offensive structure. I'm sure the concussion did not help, and part of my original point was there are just as many questions about Green's unproven ability to perform post injury as there are about DC's.

Ok, here's why stats sometimes tell lies...

Green played against Oakland, Denver, Cleveland, San Diego, Oakland, Jax and Indy...All but Indy and Cleveland were top D's in the league.

Cpep played against Pittsburgh, Barfalo, Tennessee and Houston...not exactly barn burners in D.

On the other hand, LJ was tearing up the league on the ground again during that span for Green, which should have given him some lanes to throw against...

DC was not healthy enough to return and had arguably the worst OC since Wanny's last year when we had 3 different guys doing the job...Our receivers (all of them) had the dropsies thru this period of time and the secondary was playing awful.

So what can we really determine with comparing stats from last year...??? Nothing !!

I'm not against bringing Green in but will say that contrary to what most seem to think on these boards, Cam hasn't anointed Green as the starter yet and neither has he said that DC will be cut when Green is acquired...

The longer that it takes for the Green deal to be consummated, the more chance that Cpep will be the starter come Sept anyway...

...we are all to QUICK to jump on the next Great Thing Going we all need to pay close attention to the player'shere in our system. Cpepper is our guy he is a stong QB. Fans are FANs and we all do that but rest a second and we all will see C PEPPER wil lead US this year!

One thing you are all missing in this CPEP- Green debate.....

CPEP is injured and can't even practice...we are not getting the CPEP whose stats you are quoting...he is a big ?????....you can't base your season on a ???

Green can practice and play right now.....end of story....

Exactly!

If Green was so interested in tutoring a young QB he would have taken the pay cut and stayed in KC. I don't know which one would make the better "tutor" and I really don't care, I just want the one that will give us the best chance at winning.

They didnt offer him a pay cut

For all you people bashing DC and crying for Trent Green, I have yet to see any of you post anything positive about Greens ability to help out the Dolphins other than he already knows the Cam's playbook. How can anyone say he is any less of a question mark than DC is at this point?
Here are DC vs. Green stats from last year:

Games played: DC-4 TG-8
QB Rating: DC-77.0 TG-74.1
Completion %: DC-60.4 TG-61.1
Yards per game: DC-232.3 TG 167.8
Touchdowns: DC-2 (plus 1 rushing) TG-7 (0 rushing)
Interceptions: DC-3 TG-9
Sacks: DC-21 TG-24
Fumbles/Lost: DC-3/0 TG-5/3

When you take into account that Kansas City's OL though not as great as it was a couple years ago, was still quite a bit better than Miami's, how can you honestly think that Green is the answer the Dolphin's are looking for this year? The stats are very similar between DC and TG. How can anyone who is doubting wheter or not DC's knee will be good enough to give him the mobility he needs not also doubt TG's concussion not having permanetly affected his vision or quick thinking?
When you are looking at a QB you can't just look at stats and you especially shouldn't look at wins and losses.

I think you should keep note that Trent Green has not had any good WR's (yes I know he had Gonzalez) in KC. Daunte Culpepper had Randy Moss in his prime. Trent Green played in the hardest division in football in the better conference, while Daunte played in the worst division in football in the weaker conference in his Minny days. Daunte's injury is STILL a concern while one concussion is not a threatening.

but with all that, I think the two QB's are about equal right now. I think what puts Green over the top is he appears to be a better mentor and transition player to John Beck.

With Green, Cam install the offense and learn the other players respective skills allowing Cam the time to focus on tudoring Beck.

When you are looking at a QB you can't just look at stats and you especially shouldn't look at wins and losses.

What???

This whole mentoring thing is way overblown. NFL players are first and foremost concerned with their own careers. TG doesn't seem to keen to mentoring the young QB in KC, so what makes him such a great candidate to do that here?

Lets put it this way:

You're about to be let go from your job and are asked to be the new guys "mentor" who is going to take your place once you're kicked to the curb. How would you feel?

Of course TG isn't going to serve as Croyle's mentor. The guy just took his job.

Now it is a completely different scenario and feeling knowing you have a secure job elsewhere. If you're about to retire and are asked to "mentor" the new guy chances are you won't mind.

I'm not sure if you see where I'm coming from? This is not only directed towards you but all the other fans that say "TG isn't going to serve as Becks mentor" I know I'm probably going to get flamed for making it sound like TG is guaranteed the job here once the trade is done with, but I just wanted to throw this opinion out there.

May the best man win...

Ok, here's why stats sometimes tell lies...

Green played against Oakland, Denver, Cleveland, San Diego, Oakland, Jax and Indy...All but Indy and Cleveland were top D's in the league.

Cpep played against Pittsburgh, Barfalo, Tennessee and Houston...not exactly barn burners in D.

On the other hand, LJ was tearing up the league on the ground again during that span for Green, which should have given him some lanes to throw against...

DC was not healthy enough to return and had arguably the worst OC since Wanny's last year when we had 3 different guys doing the job...Our receivers (all of them) had the dropsies thru this period of time and the secondary was playing awful.

So what can we really determine with comparing stats from last year...??? Nothing !!

I'm not against bringing Green in but will say that contrary to what most seem to think on these boards, Cam hasn't anointed Green as the starter yet and neither has he said that DC will be cut when Green is acquired...

The longer that it takes for the Green deal to be consummated, the more chance that Cpep will be the starter come Sept anyway...

I agree.

Back
Top Bottom