Merged: Vernon Carey is a Miami Dolphin | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Vernon Carey is a Miami Dolphin

I think everyones a bit disappointed that we had to trade UP to get Carey, when many of us envisioned us trading down. Still, NOONE can deny that Carey will come in IMMEDIATELY and start at RT, which will go a long way to solidifying our OL next season.

Look at it this way, folks. The silver lining in this 4th rnd pick is that at least these picks usually wind up just being TC fodder anyway. True, some diamonds in the rough are found there but it's a high exception tho.

BTW Grove and Smiley are still on the board 40 picks in.

Surferosa said:
BTW Grove and Smiley are still on the board 40 picks in.

Hmmm, interesting isn't it? :D

Oliver...

Tim Bowens would not be cut this year...too much of a cap hit. Therefore, Vince Wilfork would have been at best the #3 DT behind Bowens and Chester.

And I seem to recall a tidal wave of comments from this board on recent drafts complaining about how the Dolphins needed to address their offense but instead loaded up even more on defense. Everybody here acknowledges that we need to address offensive line and wide receiver early in this draft, and now some are actually arguing that we should have gone defensive tackle?

F#$king H#ll!!!!

GUYS- We got a 1st round worthy offense lineman. A damn good one. ITS WHAT WE NEEDED! Your all acting like we just drafted a cornerback with the first pick. Smiley is good, AS A SECOND OR THIRD ROUNDER!If NE traded with Minn., and drafted Carey, and we took Smiley at #20, THAT would have been a disaster. I can't wait, until we finally win a super bowl someday, because I'm SURE some of you will be *****ing and moaning about something the next day. I can see the thread already: YES THE PHINS WON THE SUPERBOWL;BUT ONLY BY 2TD's! THEY SUCK!

Well I just listened to Rick and toney wise and DW at the endzone. They had targeted Carey and knew for a fact that there were several teams talking to Minni about getting the pick, so they pulled the trigger. DW and Wise both said that he is to compete at RT with St. Clair and that if they both perform at a high level, one could slide to RG if that would benefit the line. Tlking with Kehoe, they were told to disregard his Sr tapes at guard because he was seriously hurt with the high ankle sprain, so they looked primarily at his Jr. tape at RT. Being as close to the Um staff as they are, they knew exactly what they were getting. Remember how Zach missed games due to the high sprain? Carey gutted it out, and did it on his massive frame. I like the pick and think we got a real good player. Of course I wish we didnt have to cough up the 4, but it is worth it to me to solidify our line, which is very flexible now.

DolfanDaveInATX said:
Tim Bowens would not be cut this year...too much of a cap hit. Therefore, Vince Wilfork would have been at best the #3 DT behind Bowens and Chester.

Even if you were right about Bowens being cut, and that's not certain by any means, that in no way assures he would start in front of Vince Wilfork. He would not have.

I am sick and tired of this "if you didn't like the pick, you're not a fan" mentality. Don't dare question whether those of us who care enough to take issue bleed the same orange and aqua you do. We are entitled to our opinion every bit as much as you're entitled to yours. Discuss the issue instead of making these ad hominem attacks.

Also, I have been high on drafting for value from the very start of the draft talk. Value knows no difference between O and D. Just because a lot of others felt differently doesn't mean I shouldn't express my opinion. It is the same opinion I held prior to the draft, and I resent the implication that it is any other way.

4Dfins said:
Well I just listened to Rick and toney wise and DW at the endzone. They had targeted Carey and knew for a fact that there were several teams talking to Minni about getting the pick, so they pulled the trigger. DW and Wise both said that he is to compete at RT with St. Clair and that if they both perform at a high level, one could slide to RG if that would benefit the line. Tlking with Kehoe, they were told to disregard his Sr tapes at guard because he was seriously hurt with the high ankle sprain, so they looked primarily at his Jr. tape at RT. Being as close to the Um staff as they are, they knew exactly what they were getting. Remember how Zach missed games due to the high sprain? Carey gutted it out, and did it on his massive frame. I like the pick and think we got a real good player. Of course I wish we didnt have to cough up the 4, but it is worth it to me to solidify our line, which is very flexible now.

For all of our sakes, I really hope that the coaches are right and I am wrong. Thanks for posting this. It does make me feel a bit better.

1966...I want some of the stuff you're smokin, dude....

Wilfork would have played about 30% of the time to spell Bowens and Chester (along with Zygonia), but he would never have been outright cut....for one reason, the cap implications, but even more so is his play...I knew that this would happen, once Andrews was gone, it didn't matter what RS did, people weren't going to like it...

After the draft last year, weren't there dozens of guys saying we should have done whatever was necessary to get the offensive linemen we needed? Didn't the same people complain that we took a LB which wasn't a position of immediate need on an already stocked defense?

This year we give up a 4th rounder to get the lineman and people complain that we should have taken a defensive player at a position that is not immediate need?????

Man, the Dolphins fans will just never be happy.

AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

The fans you speak of are different people, and it's not right to lump them in together. The only thing that irked me about Moore was that he was not the BPA based on the best information I had at that point. A lot of people agreed with that, too. WR would have been fine with me. In fact, any position would have been fine with me. I just wanted value. That's what I always want in the draft.

I have no problem with people that dont like the pick. But the EXTREME responses are whats so bizarre imo. OK we gave up a #4 pick. Does that mean were going 8-8?

Back
Top Bottom