Merged: Vernon Carey is a Miami Dolphin | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Vernon Carey is a Miami Dolphin

I think it's really amusing that some of you are so satisfied with this pick. Is Vernon Carey the guy you were after knowing that Wilfork was on the board? I don't like the pick, but what I really hate is the trade up. I will again state that I'm giving RS rope here -- he just needs to make sure Carey is a bona fide hit so he doesn't hang himself with that rope.

First, there's got to be a reason they moved up for Carey. Another team must've been looking to trade with Minnesota to get him in front of us.

Second, all of you that say that the other OLmen grade out equally or better than Carey I'm sure have not looked at Miami's draft board. They may have Carey graded far above the other OLmen and that's the only grade that matters. At least thay filled a need with a dominating run blocker who's also very versatile.

That said, I also thought the Dolphins would trade down especially when Andrews was taken at #16, but I'm not really dissappointed at all.

The draft is not over and at least we still have our third. Also, I don't think the front office thinks we have as many needs to fill as some on this board think we have.

Man, based off the responses in this thread I think the phins may as well just phone in the season now. Trading away that pick must've cost Miami a good 6 wins...yeesh guys, the team doesn't have many holes and they just helped fill one of them. May not be the ideal way to do it, but that's the bottom line.

I completely disagree.

Nobody knows what went on behind the scenes. Give the FO a chance to explain later what prompted them to move up. Making a opinion based on unknown facts is just ridiculous. The pick was definately valid....what is questionable is the move up.
Now give them a chance to explain to you why they did it.

Maggot Brain said:
There may be plenty of time left in the draft, but now, thanks to this move, Miami has only a 3rd, a 6th and two 7ths left to play with. Way to go Rick; way to go (oozing with sarcasm).

Lets see how many of next years draft picks Spielman will give away.What another joke.
It looks like Spielman and Wanny are just clones of each other.

I don't mind having Carey---he's a very good player who will be the best O lineman on our team the minute he steps on the field.
BUT I DO mind giving up the fourth round pick. If NE wanted him...let them have him and take Wilfork. Wilfork would have more impact this season anyway. The FO panicked. However, it wasn't the WORST trade so far...that honor belongs to Buffalo.

Y'know, who are all these players that were better than Carey that we didn't get ?? Steven Jackson was the best guy left on the board...we certainly don't need a RB....I would have preferred Smiley, only because I was thinking of a guard spot, (once Andrews was gone). And as Mel Kiper and Rick Speilman both said, that Carey played much better in his junior year at tackle than last year at guard. So, from that respect it is a good move for us...It certainly addresses our biggest need. As far as trading up, there were many reports that Minn was going to take Carey...they may have called us and said that prompting RS to move up...we don't know that yet...but our OL certainly looks better today than it did yesterday....Now the question is will they move James back to RG and St. Clair at LG ?? One of the things that is good about this pick is that he is a guy that can come in and start...I was surprised that Clayton went as quickly as he did....Hopefully the'll get a WR in the 3rd, but DT would be ok as well....

delben91 said:
Man, based off the responses in this thread I think the phins may as well just phone in the season now. Trading away that pick must've cost Miami a good 6 wins...yeesh guys, the team doesn't have many holes and they just helped fill one of them. May not be the ideal way to do it, but that's the bottom line.

some people just like to complain. there would have been complaints no matter what. why wilfork? we don't need defense. why grove or smiley? even though jake is the man, 20 is too high for both of them. like what another poster said, this was an aggressive move to get the guy the FO wanted, it might work, it might not, but they would have rather given up a pick and gotten 1st round talent over trading down or reaching and picking up a 2nd round talent. i don't hear the talking heads racking the fins over hot coals, just their fans.

I would love to hear a reporter ask Spielman if Buffalo inquired about trading with Fins.If they did then Spielman shoud have jumped all over it.

delben91 said:

I haven't seen anybody make a statement nearly as ludicrious as the one you're making. The key here is the not be the ideal way. If this is a team with few holes like people are arguing, that's all the more reason to go after the BPA. It is a dirty rotten shame that we do not have Wilfork on this team right now, and we're going to regret it for years to come now that he's on the Patsies.

Jimmy James said:
I haven't seen anybody make a statement nearly as ludicrious as the one you're making. The key here is the not be the ideal way. If this is a team with few holes like people are arguing, that's all the more reason to go after the BPA. It is a dirty rotten shame that we do not have Wilfork on this team right now, and we're going to regret it for years to come now that he's on the Patsies.

Yep Miami is going to regret not taking Wilfork.

We don't know how we had our picks at the 1 spot stacked. Carey could have been higher than Andrews for all we know. I'm not making excuses for the trade, but if he was a player that our staff truley coveted, and felt they could not pass on (even at the risk of forteiting a #4 to get him), then they had to do what they had to do. I would have liked the 4th rounder, I'd rather get guys that we really want and thinnk can make a difference than a bunch of fodder that will get cut. We were deparate for a guy to play RT, and we picked up a fine player who will strive to play top notch in front of his lifelong home town...4D

Miami Beats New England for Carey
April 24th, 2004
According to WQAM, the New England Patriots were offering their 4th round pick to move up to the number 19 slot. They were ready to select Vernon Carey had they moved up. The Miami Dolphins though offered their 4th round pick and the Vikings accepted because it was higher.

I have no problem with the pick , as far giving up the 4th rd pick lets see what RS has to say. We have no idea what these picks will do when they come in to play. If its true that RS wanted Bolden last year it shows me he knows what he is doing. We are not in the draft room and I for one am not going to 2nd guess RS till I see the product on the field!

Back
Top Bottom