Merged: Vernon Carey is a Miami Dolphin | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Vernon Carey is a Miami Dolphin

DolFinatic718,

I'm only going to respond once instead of spamming this up and down every thread on the board like you did, but I mean it just as much as you apparently do:

The Patriots were screwing with us, just like they were screwing with the Cowboys. The difference is that we didn't call the bluff like the Cowboys did (in spades by trading down). I'm disappointed that RS is inexperienced enough that it worked, but let's hope he learns a lesson and isn't so trigger happy with inconsequential trade ups next year.

Pay attention to these other trades. Cleveland gave up a 1st and a 2nd to move up one spot. The Rams just gave up their first and fourth to move up two spots. The fourth round pick was the going rate to move up. I don't think NE was bluffing, but if they we're then so what. We may not have a better draft then them, but when it's all said and done we have a better team this year.

Jimmy James I respect your opinion, but you have no idea what took place. You also don,t have any idea how these draft picks play out till they put the pads on! I trust RS,s moves so far and I,m willing to wait to see how they play out on the field.

thxs 718. If that is the indeed the case, I can live with that if he plays like the FO thinks he can.

I like Vernon Carey and he is going to be able to come in from Day 1 and start for us. Whether it's at G or T he will be an upgrade. This gives us a very good line for the future. McIntosh and Smith are both young Tackles with bright futures. James and Carey solidify our guard spots now. McKinney is a young Center and if he develops than we got a very good young line with good versatile backups in St. Clair and Whitley. Carey also gives us insurance incase Wade Smith goes down at LT this year. And atleast Speilman isn't like Wanny. If it was Wanny we woulda gave next year's first.

delben91 said:
Man, based off the responses in this thread I think the phins may as well just phone in the season now. Trading away that pick must've cost Miami a good 6 wins...yeesh guys, the team doesn't have many holes and they just helped fill one of them. May not be the ideal way to do it, but that's the bottom line.

I've got to admit that this is the first i ever heard that. A fourth round pick worth SIX wins ?? All I gotta say is that it must be some gooood schidt ya sokin' !! :D

I like the pick of Carey, and I am glad Spielman did what he needed to do to be able to draft this guy. Now all of you are complaining that we lost a 4th rounder, well what If NE traded up and did get Carey? Then Spielman would get bashed and trashed for not making a move to pick up Carey. It was a damn good pick and it fills a need. Good Job by Spielman.

Rick 1966 said:
I don't mind having Carey---he's a very good player who will be the best O lineman on our team the minute he steps on the field.
BUT I DO mind giving up the fourth round pick. If NE wanted him...let them have him and take Wilfork. Wilfork would have more impact this season anyway. The FO panicked. However, it wasn't the WORST trade so far...that honor belongs to Buffalo.

How would the 4th DT have more of an impact than a starting RG or RT?

Wilfork was not going start so how could have more of an impact than Carey who will be a starter?

Oliver...

ohall said:
How would the 4th DT have more of an impact than a starting RG or RT?

Wilfork was not going start so how could have more of an impact than Carey who will be a starter?

I don't know where you get the idea that Wilfork wouldn't have started. Wilfork would indeed have been the starter and Tim Bowens would have been cut.

That's what I'm asking.

How would Vince Wilfork have a bigger impact when he would be the 4th defensive tackle behind Bowens, Chester, and Zgonina than Vernon Carey when he will go into camp as the starting right tackle?

Rick 1966 said:
I don't know where you get the idea that Wilfork wouldn't have started. Wilfork would indeed have been the starter and Tim Bowens would have been cut.

Unless you are being sarcastic, you are simply out of your mind. Vince Wilfork would have been no better than 4th on the DT list. He won't even start for New England this year.

Rick 1966 said:

I guess you could be correct, but I doubt Wilfork would have been starting as soon as Carey will be. I think at best Wilfork could have started mid season or late season, but I think that's wishful thinking. He has too many question marks to be that sure of a thing IMO.

Oliver...

I agree on the pick for Carey - there has been a lot of discussion on this board that the Dolphins needed to draft OL in the first round. I think the FO viewed RT as biggest missing piece on this team. McIntosh and St. Clair were signed as insurance - McIntosh coming at a very cheap price 1st year that makes him easy to cut if necessary.

Carey was the only RT on the board left that could come in and contribute next year. Kiper's write-up in his book states that he was awesome at RT in his junior year, being named offensive MVP in 5 different games. Ankle injury sustained prior to the season apparently prompted shift to guard and affected his performance in 2003. Kiper feels his best position is RT. Fans on this board would have been crazy had NE jumped in front of the Phins to grab Carey. I don't like getting rid of the 4th rounder, but I think Spielman did what he needed to do in order to get a value pick at a position of great need.

I think Jimmy James IS Vince Wilfork and he's sour because the phin's didn't draft him. That's the only logical explanation. WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT? We needed a solid RG/RT and we got one. Am I missing something here?

If RS doesn't make this move an NE jumps ahead of us to take the guy we want you guys would have gone nuts. If they don't address OL and our OL suffers this year, you guys would go nuts.

Carey was the 3rd best lineman in this draft and he is now a Miami Dolphin. He, along with McIntosh, St. Clair and McKinney, gives us great versatility.

I like the pick and I don't care that it took a 4th rounder to get him.

BTW, this is not the same FO. Wanny would have stayed put and gone defense and you guys would have gone nuts.

Back
Top Bottom