Merged: Vernon Carey is a Miami Dolphin | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Vernon Carey is a Miami Dolphin

feelnoway said:
Some of you guys are going to be critical regardless. That's fine; that's your right. We got the guy who most experts ranked 3rd best OL. If Carey is considered a reach then Smiley even more so.
Seems to me he was the safe (and logical) pick.

Geez!
Sometimes I think some of the people on here are incapable of reading or understanding arguments.

No one is questioning the pick......
OK?
Vernon Carey at our pick is NOT being questioned.
Following?

The question is whether giving up a 4th round pick to jump one spot in the draft to pick Vernon is smart while other lineman many grade equal to or above Carey would still be available even if someone took Carey the pick before. If you can argue that then fine do it.

Predaphin34 said:
Is it me, or does it seem Rick Speilman panics too much??? first he pulls the trigger on Feeley for a 2nd rd pick...then, Im guessing he sees Clayton and Andrews go, so he panics and pulls a trade for Carey that sends our 1st & 4th for ONE spot! (this knowing the Dumb a$$ Vikings always screw up in the draft, heh, we did them a favor this year) ......

Although i think Carey is a solid pick, I think he was a bit of a reach and he Definetly aint worth no 1st & 4th!!!! I dont like the move....i mean we couldve waited to see if someone else was dumb enough to want to move up one spot (like Patriots)....I seriously thought the Browns were dumb but i spoke to soon...we practically pulled a similar move.... :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

I guess we can look at it this way, We do have Wansted as our Head Coach (and probably the dumbest coach in the NFL)...but i thought Speilman was better than this....honestly.

What some people may see as "panic" someone else can see as being "aggressive". It's alot like the "half - Full vs half empty" point of view. Carey wasnt a bad pick, especially considering he is one of the few OL rookies that can play RT or RG....

Last edited by a moderator:
PhinsmissedFG said:
The fact is, it is a bad pick. Many players were rated WAY higher than Carey. I think most of us watched Carey the last few years and he was not great at all. Good maybe, but not great. 1st round picks have to be great.

Brutal, just fu@#!ng brutal

Care to name any of those many? most reports had him rated as the 3 rd best OLman in the draft. Is this because you just don't personally like him? If so, that's ok, but who would you have picked?

Most experts didn't rank Carey as the third best lineman. Pat Kirwin interviewed 7 OL coaches, and all 7 had Smiley rated ahead of Carey. A couple of others had Chris Snee ahead of Carey.

The thing about Carey is, if you draft him based on his junior season when he played right tackle, then this is a good pick. If you draft him based on his senior season when he played guard, this is a reach. Vernon Carey is a much better tackle than guard, and it looks like that's what Miami is drafting him to play. Right tackle. If he gets back to the level he was at as a junior, then I have no problems with this pick. I think he is a player that needs to be ridden hard by his coach to perform up to his potential though. He also has to control his weight.

I do think Miami may have panicked a bit after Andrews surprisingly went to Philly at 16. In a draft that is very weak for tackles, Miami reached for Carey.

Boy we have an awfull lot of GM's out here, no one here knows why we traded up for just one spot. Next time we are in the market for a GM I'm gonna suggest the fins start by looking right on FH. VC was one of our top picks, so what is everyone complaing about. I mean it could be worse, we could have done what the bills just did to take dallas's pick. I think we did alright.

Don't understand giving up a 4th rounder to move up one spot when both Carey & Wilfork were on the board. OL is a much bigger need but I think Wilfork is a much better player than Carey. Would have been happy with either player. Big fear now is Wilfork at NE will own Carey.

agressive is trading up and hoping our man in there. Panicing is throwing a 4th rounder to get a 1 pick bump to snag a guard. Who btw can play tackle, yes, but that's not a good argument considering we have St. Clair...a guard/tackle.

fin fans upset about the draft pick? go figure. with the wr hard-ons early on and andrews going earlier than expected, the whole draft changed. n.e. may have very well been trying to trade up to 19 to get carey, and smiley is a much bigger reach at 20 than carey is at 19. ok the 4th rounder is gone, but there is still a lot of time left before the draft is over.

This is purely typical of this organization. In my mind, nothing has changed from Wanny the GM to Spielman the GM. Ridiculous.

Phinzone said:
agressive is trading up and hoping our man in there. Panicing is throwing a 4th rounder to get a 1 pick bump to snag a guard. Who btw can play tackle, yes, but that's not a good argument considering we have St. Clair...a guard/tackle.

When we traded up, Carey was there as it was immediately our pick, so our man was there. Obviously the Fins brass felt someone (NE?) was attempting to trade up to MN pick at 19 to grab him ahead of us.....so they felt it was worth the 4th rounder. St Clair couldnt beat out Carey at RG or RT

It seems to me the FO saw a player that they had rated high on our board that could upgrade us at RG or RT, so they made the move.

I think alot of the negativity is based on people that wanted to trade back, but that may not have been an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noodle Arm said:
Well I guess Carey was the highest rated lineman on their list...and from what Speilman said in the interview 2 teams were looking to trade up with the vikings to get carey. so Rick had to up the ante with the pick. It seems one of the other teams was the Pats, they offered their 4th so Rick had to one up them and offered our 4th (since it's a higher pick) so the Vikings took it.

Noodle, i don't doubt what you're saying at all. Matter of fact, the way it went done makes sense anyway. now whether or not evrybody else knows what kind of other deals are going on, I wouldn't know, buit I doubt it. however, it may be more of just knowing what other teams' needs are more likely to be as players are drafted and they react accordingly to that and prior info and rumores and such. But then again, I've been known to be wrong b4 and they may very well have an open party line right their for all teams in draft central. :LOL:

Phishstix said:
fin fans upset about the draft pick? go figure. with the wr hard-ons early on and andrews going earlier than expected, the whole draft changed. n.e. may have very well been trying to trade up to 19 to get carey, and smiley is a much bigger reach at 20 than carey is at 19. ok the 4th rounder is gone, but there is still a lot of time left before the draft is over.

There may be plenty of time left in the draft, but now, thanks to this move, Miami has only a 3rd, a 6th and two 7ths left to play with. Way to go Rick; way to go (oozing with sarcasm).

It's official...our FO sucks. A 4th rounder to move up for a lineman projected to go lower. All this while the Pats sit tight and grab Wilfolk. How did these geniuses figure out how to get dressed this morning? Disgusting. :fire:

I like Carey but just not giving up our 4th to move up 1 lousy spot to take him.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom