MERGED: Wannstedt Poll (Fins fans only) | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Wannstedt Poll (Fins fans only)

DW is not a fantastic motivator. With the high priced players (overpaid) comes high priced egos and Dave has shown he can't inspire these guys. You get the feeling when watching the Dolphins sometimes that it's a bunch of individuals playing football together instead of a team. Also because of years of bad drafts and some poor free-agent signings we have almost no depth at any position on the team. That's where being a poor motivator comes in. DW knows he can't bench these guys to send a message, he can't afford to not have them on the field for every down. The players know this too. When you have total job security and no one breathing down your neck for your job, I'm sure it's easy to take a night off. His poor coaching technic doesn't just stop there. By consistently sticking to game plans that aren't working he is solely responsible for big losses. We all know the drill, Dolphins don't show and get stomped. DW doesn't have the coaching know-how to modify his game plan in a way that can confound the other team. He basically just sticks with whats set up and hopes the players can come through. In games where that's not working he MUST be able to adjust the game plan, this is just basic coaching of any sport. Lastly for a team that's one of the "best on paper" you'd think he'd trust them to come through on fourth down. The amount of times he's called for a punt or field goal instead of going for it is terrible.

darkoak said:
... The amount of times he's called for a punt or field goal instead of going for it is terrible.

darkoak, I respect your opinion...but, it demonstrates that many fans don't understand or reject our style of football.

We play a field position style of football. It's the same style that Parcells, Belichick, Fox and other teams that believe in the concept that defense wins championships.

Let's look at how many times these other teams went for it on fourth down and take the time to understand and respect a field position style of play when the team has an established trust in it's DEFENSE.

Fourth Down Attempts/Conversions
Miami 10 attempts 5 conversions
Carolina 11 attempts 6 conversions
Dallas 12 attempts 4 conversions
New England 14 attempts 6 conversions
Philidelphia 7 attempts 3 conversions
Baltimore 11 attempts 7 conversions
Green Bay 7 attempts 4 conversions
Seattle 7 attempts 2 conversions

Here are the top ten teams who were the most aggressive on 4th down:
1) Jacksonville (26)
2) Buffalo
3) Oakland
4) Chicago
5) Pittsburgh
6) Arizona
7) Detroit
8) San Diego
9) San Francisco
10) New Orleans (19)

Which group would you rather be identified with...those who punt or those who go for it?

New England punted 87 times
Dallas punted 95 times
Carolina punted 78 times
Philadelphia punted 79 times
Miami punted 84 times
Balitmore 91 times
Kansas City 80 times

The field position style of play is sound. The Dolphins need to execute better and score more points. We must not rely on taking great risks to win. We must execute better, control the clock, and force the other team to make the game costing risks.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Why is it so hard to imagine that a team with a 10-6 average record could actually improve on that record with improved talent on offense? Isn't that just obvious?

Well, being that you asked, two years ago, we were winning the division, beat the raiders and had the inside track FOR home field. Then what happens? we don't even make the frikkin' playoffs. Big time letdown and Wanny didn't keep his players primed and pumped up.

DeDolfan said:
Well, being that you asked, two years ago, we were winning the division, beat the raiders and had the inside track FOR home field. Then what happens? we don't even make the frikkin' playoffs. Big time letdown and Wanny didn't keep his players primed and pumped up.

He did get them primed and pumped up to beat the Raiders....

We lost to a Vikings team that played wide open with nothing to lose. Classic bad time to play a team with a good offense. We then lost a game to the Pats that we should have won. Neither game was lost because of coaching, IMO.

Looks like we just disagree......

FinfanInBuffalo said:
He did get them primed and pumped up to beat the Raiders....

We lost to a Vikings team that played wide open with nothing to lose. Classic bad time to play a team with a good offense. We then lost a game to the Pats that we should have won. Neither game was lost because of coaching, IMO.

Looks like we just disagree......

My point exactly! Wannstedt can not finish. He has them primed one game and then let them slide another, for whatEVER reason. Not the mark of a good hC, IMO. But you're right...............we don't agree! ;)

DeDolfan said:
My point exactly! Wannstedt can not finish. He has them primed one game and then let them slide another, for whatEVER reason. Not the mark of a good hC, IMO. But you're right...............we don't agree! ;)
It's the "whatever" that bugs me. Sometimes it's injuries, sometimes it's just that the players cannot execute (punting for 34 yds, kicking the ball out of bounds at the beginning of overtime)... sometimes it's the primed OC (Turner) that calls passing plays when he should call running plays, and viceversa....

It's all of those things put together... and sometimes, you can't just blaim the coach. Sometimes, it's the players' fault.

Sometimes...

sbh1602 said:
It's the "whatever" that bugs me. Sometimes it's injuries, sometimes it's just that the players cannot execute (punting for 34 yds, kicking the ball out of bounds at the beginning of overtime)... sometimes it's the primed OC (Turner) that calls passing plays when he should call running plays, and viceversa....

It's all of those things put together... and sometimes, you can't just blaim the coach. Sometimes, it's the players' fault.

Sometimes...

Yes, sometimes it is and sometimes when the HC tells the kicker to go practice on dirt abd the kicker tells him he's Ok, Wanny just lets him slide and just that one incident cost us one gm directly AND the playoffs. These are the "whatevers" that bug the hell out of me. The players all like Wannstedt cuz he's a "nice guy". That's not my opinion but a fact and everyone knows, well save for a few anyway, that nice guys do not make good HCs, period.
Another "whatever" that bugs the hell out of me also is Wanny's desire to just sit and nurse a cheap halftime lead, make no adjustments, playing not to lose. This also does not make a good HC. He needs to realize that he has to let it out and put games away, play to win, not to lose.
Now, need I rant on anymore?

DeDolfan said:
Yes, sometimes it is and sometimes when the HC tells the kicker to go practice on dirt abd the kicker tells him he's Ok, Wanny just lets him slide and just that one incident cost us one gm directly AND the playoffs. These are the "whatevers" that bug the hell out of me. The players all like Wannstedt cuz he's a "nice guy". That's not my opinion but a fact and everyone knows, well save for a few anyway, that nice guys do not make good HCs, period.
Another "whatever" that bugs the hell out of me also is Wanny's desire to just sit and nurse a cheap halftime lead, make no adjustments, playing not to lose. This also does not make a good HC. He needs to realize that he has to let it out and put games away, play to win, not to lose.
Now, need I rant on anymore?
Ok, the kicker incident, if the kicker (who supposedly is an experienced one, playing in his own field) tells the coach "I'm ready", the coach, knowing the kicker is an experienced one, simply agrees. Now that Wanny knows Mare can't really judge his situation all that well... I'd be surprised if it happened again.

About his desire to nurse a lead... can you blaim him? Both your QBs throw more INTs than TDs! Option 1: Pound Ricky. Option 2: Throw, and get intercepted, which will probably kill the lead you had (see Texans game). If he sees more talent, I'd be surprised he doesn't try it.

Now, if I'm indeed "surprised" like that this season, by all means, get him outta here. Right now, I'm cutting him some slack.

Rant away, my brother. :yell:

jaketaylor said:
Where did I come across as having the only opinion?

I didn't say you were the only one with this opinion.

Question: What has Dave done as a coach the last four seasons that makes anyone outside of his family think he will lead the Dolphins to a Super Bowl?
11-5
11-5
9-7
10-5
Nothing more or less than Shula or Johnson have done the past 12 years. This has been beat to death, now someone will comeback with "the team has become worse" and I disagree because I see a defensive unit that ia as strong and more weapons on the offense.
The point is, you don't really know if the players disrespect him or not, no player has said so, and the arguement for this seems to be that "you can just tell" well then why don't former players "just tell" none have NONE.

It sounds like the fans that use this excuse only use it because THEY don't respect DW. And ask any coach if he give a crap if the fans respect him or not. :rolleyes:

The real questions here is: What has DW done that's worse than what Shula and Johnson has done that deserves being fired for? Using facts that you can backup not your opinion. And who would you have replaced him with?(this has also been beaten to death)
Fans and alot of media are asumming they know what's going on with the franchise and alot of fans read these articals and beleive everything in print.

I'm willing to give him another year as a coach only and if it's the same old stuff then fire him, why? because as a fan I don't have a choice.

DeDolfan said:
We don't have to hear it from the players. We see it in their play..............as in not playing with that killer instinct, going for the jugular, etc. You know, those kind of things that help you win big games! ;)

Oh OK you can "just tell" well alright then nuff said. :rolleyes:

NoOffense said:
The current coaching staff has proven quite well that they are clueless, just as this owner has in picking Wannstedt in the first place.

Results are all that matters, and we haven't gotten them, and Yimmies failures don't justify this coaches tenure, nor does Shula's, I'm not saying the coach should be changed every year, but once a coach has been given a chance (such as four years) and still fails to produce, its time to roll the dice on another candidate, and hopefully next time someone who didn't already prove themselves a complete failure before like Wannstedt.

How bout showing us your team. Start with the head coach, then the remainder of that staff, then offensive and defensive roster. I'd like to see what all you coaching genius's would have put together. After y'all are finished, I'd be willing to bet 11-5, 11-5, 9-7 & 10-6 would be aweful appealing.

Back
Top Bottom