Merged: Who Will Be a Bust?? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Who Will Be a Bust??

Dajesus,

While I don't agree with you about draft expectations for QBs, those three make my point. They had a chilling effect on making small school QBs first rounders, and Big Ben IMHO will remind them why they did so.

Jimmy James said:
Dajesus,

While I don't agree with you about draft expectations for QBs, those three make my point. They had a chilling effect on making small school QBs first rounders, and Big Ben IMHO will remind them why they did so.

You are saying exactly what I said, the 3 you mentioned did have a chilling affect there for I think the small college QB is studied that much more under a microscope. Ben has been torn down way more than Eli and Rivers has. Dispite having possibly more talent than the other 2 Ben has been pretty invisable the past 2 weeks. All the media is ignoring Rivers' flawed release, and lack of mobility due to his expeirience, and level of competion. If Ben had a side arm release he would be out of the first day talk.

Anywho its all a lottery in the early '90s the small school QB has killed some NFL coaches, today the Jets, Jags, Titans, and quite possibly the Texans small school QBs have made some coaches geniuses.

See -- I think you're a whole generation of analysis behind. I think this weighed on the Dilfer/McNair/Culpepper era, but I think the FOs are now accepting of the small school QB due to the recent successes. I understand what you're saying about the media, but I think that has been a constant. It's just harder for guys like Kiper to push a guy from a tiny school, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything for the draft. Somebody suggested earlier that all 3 guys might be gone by pick #7. Compare that to Pennington's #18, and it seems to me that the days of Ware/McGwire/Klingler are either back or are soon on their way again.

I'm with you Tate....Shawn Andrews...the guy has a legitimate medical problem, but in his last year at school, in their biggest game, he doesn't even travel with the team ?? He gains 50 pounds when he knows he has the biggest interview of his life coming...(yes, some of that weight gain may have been due to the Prednisone, but 50 lbs). Then he is able to take the 50 lbs off before his workout day ?? He had a back injury a few years ago....yes, he's been relatively healthy since then, but anyone else out there have back problems ??? Is there always the threat that it may come back ?? (Yes, oh, by the way if you don't believe me, ask D. Gardener about it...) Just too many questions....why the inability to stay focused on his football conditioning and attitude if this is going to be his life....

I think, given the right help from some NFL team, his brother may end up being a better tackle...at least his questions are about technique, not attitiude...

BTW...I hope I end up wrong on this...I don't dislike him...

LarryFinFan said:
BTW...I hope I end up wrong on this...I don't dislike him...

I imagine that this goes for a lot of us when we're talking about our busts. I know I have nothing against Ben R. personally.

You know what's funny....

USC QBs. Mandich was talking about them today... rodney peete, rob johnson, a whole bunch of nobodies. Carson Palmer will probably be a bust too. He's picking a nasty year to take the helm in cincy. Ed Reed coming into his own. Troy Polamalu starting. There will be no shortage of headaches for a guy who only had 1/2 a great season in college.

How about Notre Dame's Rick Mirer? Drew Brees out of Purdue? Todd Collins out of Meesheegan? Heath Shuler out of Tenn? Face it, the small school argument is bunk. It's a two way street and we all know drafting is an inexact science. Did you get a chance to catch any of Miami Ohio's nationally televised games last year? Their game at home vs Marshall was on ESPN. They were playing in Oxford, OH in the midst of 70 MPH wind gusts. There were emergency crews on hand because the safety rating on the stadium lights was being pushed to the limits. Ben put on an air show, he was cutting through that wind like a hot knife through butter. The kid's the real deal.

Back
Top Bottom