Merged: Who Will Be a Bust?? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Who Will Be a Bust??

Eli is the real deal. He had a crappy team in college and he played in the toughest conference, and still went 10-3. He may not be as good as Peyton, but he'll be pretty close.

My pick for a bust: Big Ben
Nevertheless, I think there are some overrated players in this draft/on this board:
Roy Williams, Fitz, DJ Williams among a few... I am just stating my opinion, but this is a classy board, so I know I will get some quality feedback here. The guys who will shine in the 1st round next year are, IMO: Reggie Williams, Taylor, Winslow, (I would have said Mike Williams) Brimmer, and Vilma

The only player I'm comfortable saying will be a 1st round bust is whomever the Jets select.

All you Roethlisberger haters are crazy. For one, the MAC is much much better competition than people think. Not to mention, this guy went to high school about 20 minutes from where I grew up so I had a chance to see him light people up his whole career. I also watched him play alot in college quiete a few times. He doesn't look like the fastest guy out there but he has the instincts to escape very well. Not only will he not be a bust. He will turn out to be the best QB in this draft. Find another bust !

Muck said:
Weigh in guys. Which player or players do you think will turn out to be a bust?? **Obviously, I'm talking about the guys who will be drafted on Day 1.**
Kevin Jones. I believe he is simply too soft. He should be a quality 3rd down back, but I do not see him running between the tackles in the NFL.

burger13 said:
Philip Rivers........he's way overrated....especially on this board!!

Also, Will Smith, there's only room for one!!

I pray to god the Bills don't take Smith with the 13th pick. I too think he has bust written all over him.

Dajesus said:
I could see Winslow being a huge bust. He caused alot of trouble with the Hurricanes last year. I am not sure if he honestly loves the game. If things get tough for him I could see a time bomb affect in his locker room.

I don't know if I agree with that, Winslow takes a tremendous amount of pride in the game...he is one of the most Hardcore football players i've ever seen..

I remember after that one game...he was shouting to the press "I'm a F'n Soldier, I'm a F'n Soldier!!"

I think he will be a beast

Lee Evans could be the second coming of Yatil Green...

I think there is a chance that DJ Williams becomes a bust because of his instincts. Also, I hate to say it, but Shawn Andrews is definitely a potential bust because of his weight problems. I do hope the Dolphins can get him because I think he could be a solid pro, but if he can't control his weight then he will not be what he can be.

Jimmy James said:
Ben Roethlisberger is my pick, though I think I'm going to have to root for the Giants and Eli to suck bigtime. I have lost a lot of respect for Archie based on what is happening there. Ben is going to show teams why they have been historically fearful of the small school QB.

I'd like to :lol: at the D. Hall pick as my way of saying he's one of the surer things in my book. Dude is nasty.

Yeah because the small school QBs have really blown up in the faces of the teams that picked them. I am sure the Jets, Titans, and Jags all agree with you. I think the small school QB is a bonus for teams that end up picking them. They go through so much more scrutinizing then a guy from the Pac-10, SEC, or Big 10 would go through. They also have the advantage of not being expected to take over the team early. I am a huge beleaver that guys like Couch and McKnown would have had a shot to be great in this league if they weren't thrown to the wolves so early. They got beet up physically, and more importantly mentally to early in the NFL. You take a way a QB's confidince, and you have nothing. I also beleave that McNair and Pennington wouldn't be who they are if they were thrown to the wolves early. More importingly then waiting for them to adjust to the NFL speed they let the talent around the those QBs evolve untill they could protect them.

I really like two MACC QBs this season, and was talking about them last year after the draft for guys to look at. Of course Ben is one of them, and Josh Harris is another guy that I feel could be a very decent pro someday. I don't think Josh could be an all pro like Ben could be, but if he goes to the right team, and gets a couple of seasons to learn he could be an above average starting NFL QB. The biggest thing these 2 guys have going for them is there will be no preasure to take the healm right away.

TKO said:
I pray to god the Bills don't take Smith with the 13th pick. I too think he has bust written all over him.

ESPN draft had Bills taking DE Will Smith......YIKES!

If Andrews really does have a weight issue he may be a bust as well.

BigFinFan said:
Who will be this years 1st round draft bust?

Make your predictions and we will come back after the season and determine who was the winner - Good Luck

I think that it will be...DeAngelo Hall CB VA Tech

Who will be this years 1st round draft bust?

I agree with you on Hall. He reminds me of Alex Molden. Another guy who I think might end up being busts is Jacob Rogers from USC. The guy just isn't a good run blocker, maybe he suffers from Billy Milner-itis.

Dajesus said:
Yeah because the small school QBs have really blown up in the faces of the teams that picked them. I am sure the Jets, Titans, and Jags all agree with you.

Let's check in on some small school QBs:

Giovanni Carmazzi (3rd round out of Hofstra and the 2nd QB taken in 2000): I can't even find stats on this bust.

Chris Redman (3rd round out of Louisville and the 3rd QB taken in 2000): He was so successful that the Ravens went after another guy just last year.

Shaun King (2nd round out of Tulane in 1999): He started for one season. That really lights the world on fire for a 2nd rounder, doesn't it?

Charlie Batch (2nd round out of Eastern Michigan in 1998): He is probably in truth a guy who delivered decent value as a 2nd rounder. He never played 16 games, but he did start for about four years on a bottom-rung NFL team. I would still call him a mild disappointment, so I'm including him

David Klingler (1st round out of Houston in 1992): This guy was a huge bust. In fact, it's almost amazing he isn't held up with McNown and Leaf.

Dan McGwire (1st round out of San Diego State in 1991): This guy makes Klingler look successful in some ways. He never even started more than 7 games in any single season.

Browning Nagle (2nd round out of Louisville in 1991): He had one season where he started 14 games. Ask the Jets how they felt about this one, wise guy. Favre went one pick before he did.

Andre Ware (1st round out of Houston in 1990): He started 14 games in 4 seasons. Ouch.

I hope this is a long enough history for you to see what I was talking about. There is a lot of bad history that makes choosing the small school QB difficult. For every guy you reference, Culpepper, and Favre, there appear to be about two or three losers.

Dajesus said:
I think the small school QB is a bonus for teams that end up picking them. They go through so much more scrutinizing then a guy from the Pac-10, SEC, or Big 10 would go through.

I think that the history I just posted calls that into serious question.

As to your point about the QB being thrown to the wolves in their rookie year, being a small school QB didn't keep Byron Leftwich from taking over early in his rookie year. I do agree that it only makes sense to not start a rookie at QB, but it's really independent from the small school thing.

I only look at first round QBs being busts. With the premium on QBs if a guy is expected to be a star he will be taken in the first round. Any QB taken out side of the first round is a GM or coach rolling the dice, and hopeing they can get lucky. The 3 first round choices you mentioned were all thrown to the wolves their first season, and the 2 Houston guys was just plain stupidity by by the NFL. If this was 1991 the 2 guys that left Texas Tech in the past 2 years would be first round draft busts. They were system QBs that the NFL didn't realize. I think Ware and Klinger are the major reason why small school QBs have to prove so much more these days. McGuire was just an idiot. He never loved footabll his dad forced it on him. He admitted he used drugs heavily when he was drafted, and cared more about parting then football. Every sportscaster in the NFL thought he would prosper.

Back
Top Bottom