MERGEDX2: Rumors are Nolan has cleaned out his office. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGEDX2: Rumors are Nolan has cleaned out his office.

As much as it's easy to blame the coaching, it goes both ways - how can you expect Nolan to be more aggressive when in the first half of the season we have:

1) Our #1 CB in/out of the line-up
2) No CB depth
3) Some of the worst safeties in the NFL
4) Some of the worst pass coverage LB's in the NFL

All of that points to a bad team against the pass... no wonder teams were able to come back on us and Nolan played conservative at times - our personnel sucked.

Nolan was a very solid DC for us while he was here, this is definitely an early off-season loss for us.

Vontae and Wake aren't leaving with him, are they? You guys shouldn't care so much.

So many coaches who have passed through here recently were such incompetent **** ups. Nolan deserves a tip of the cap for a job well done.

Its true! I snapped a quick picture!

gerhard20vacuumJPG-1.jpg

How quickly everybody seems to forget.

Prior to Nolan, we were dead-last defensively.

With Nolan, and pretty much exact same personnel, we were instantly top 5.

Things didn't go well in the 0-7, and that includes defensively. The second half of the season was pretty damn impressive defensively. That coupled with year before last should buy him another year minimum.

You guys think things were tough this year defensively? Just wait till a brand new scheme, with same personnel is installed. Get ready for another 2 years of painful defensive play.

Wasn't there some rumblings about Nolan's calls earlier during the season, and had Bowles start making Defensive calls later in the season? as much as I loved the Defense in the 2nd 1/2 of the season, perhaps Nolan was a smaller part to the success?

Is this stuff about Nolan effectively being sidelined midway through the season common knowledge ?

I missed these reports but I guess it would explain a lot

@KohneysKorner reported 4 weeks ago that Nolan was gone and believed to be going to Kansas with Charlie Weiss, Nolan has been very unhappy in Miami and from what I am told is a pretty miserable guy

miserable emotionally? or a guy that is miserable with people?

Fine with me.

His defense was so so this year.

Get a new guy in here to make it a top defense again.

Did you only watch the first half of the season? You know, the half that was basically training camp for all the fat, out of shape players that couldn't keep themselves in shape during the holdout. The players that Nolan turned from a 31st ranked defense to a top 10 defense.

You never know, maybe we'll get someone who teaches to go aggressively after the ball and we won't finish near the bottom of the league in takeaways. What was it ? - a grand total of ONE fumble recovery for our D this season

good point. We had only 19 takeways for the season. the put us at tied for 6th worst.

The top 4 teams at take away are all in the playoffs.

As much as we need a franchise qb we need a defense that can takeaway the ball twice a game.

The packers and the steelers were both in the top 6 in takeways last year and they end up in Super Bowl
The saints were #2 in takeaways the year they won the Super Bowl.
In 2008 we were 5th best in takeaways and win ended up winning the AFC East. That year pittsburgh won it all and they were in the top 10 in takeaways.

With the rules favoring offense they way they are now you must have a defense that can take it away if you want to win it all.

Seriously, when has Daboll been listed as one of the great coordinators of the NFL? He sucked in CLeveland and he sucked here too, what are you worrying about? Nolan's defense always, and I mean always crumbles under pressure, I say good riddance and lets start with something new. I wish we could get rid of Ireland too, to be honest.

Right. I mean, I've never seen a worse coach than Ireland in all my life! I have never even heard what his coaching philosophy is!

I don't see why Ireland gets so much flak. The guy has brought in a lot of talent. It's clear that this team underachieves and that's on coaching, not talent.

why is everyone so against the 4-3? isn't the 4-3 a strong defense against passing plays in the middle of the field, a-la what the pats rape us with over and over again?

isn't the 3-4 the defense that is better against the run... in a league where no one runs the ball any more?

i miss the 43 myself, and personally i do not care for keeping this underachieving defense and defensive coordinator around. i posted this by mistake in another thread, but i am curious why all the love for nolan on this site?

Miami ran a 4 man front almost 60% of the time anyway this year. Very few teams run a pure 3-4 or 4-3 anymore.

Back
Top Bottom