MERGEDX3: Former Dolphin Daunte Culpepper Retires | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGEDX3: Former Dolphin Daunte Culpepper Retires

Wow people still take every oppurtunity to hate on Daunte. We traded for him injured and we were all prepared to be without him at the beginning of the year. He worked his butt off said he was ready like most NFL Qb's would. I still feel they should have had better evaluation from thier doctors but of course our doctors were the worst in the league. Our line sucked and gave him no support and he was limping every game and he still was just as good as the guy we replaced him with the next year.

We hire a new coach that is such a genius that he basically replaces one injured qb with another older injured qb. The results were no better with Trent Green but of course nobody hates on Trent. My contention all along was that if you want to get rid of Culpepper thats fine but at least upgrade. Why move laterally and give up another pick. We made an investment in a player and gave up one year after, much like this FO has seemed to have done with Beck.

Daunte was bad here but no worse than Trent, or Joey. Culepper actually showed more last year with at least he could stay healthy a few games a year. I dont blame Daunte for retiring when people are paying Trent Green three times what they want to pay Daunte and Brock Berlin is outplaying Green.

The part that is jacked up is that Culpepper gets no credit for anything he has done. If Moss made Culpepper why did he not make Kerry Collins ann all pro. Culpepper still had a great year when Moss got injured and it takes a combo of good play by both for things to happen. In 2004 he threw 39 tds and 11 int and that was the season that Moss got injured. No Qb that sucks as bad as some here claim he does, has a season like that. His first year as a starter was one of the best of any QB ever in thier first year.

Lifetime qb rating 89 yea he really sucked for his career. 142 tds and 94 int. Im sure that John Beck will have a much better NFL career than Daunte's pitiful career.

It's obvious that you are biased in regards any topic related to Daunte. If he was not able to get a job in this league then that is his fault since he represented himself all along. That is why you have an agent, and that agent takes care of all the business that is involved in a contract. You are throwing all these stats -in front of us as we didn't know this; however, in the nfl you are as good as what you are today.

Daunte is not one of the elite quarterbacks in the league and you need to deal with that; moreover, do not be surprised with the fan reaction since it is totally normal.

The miami dolphins were the one seeking a trade with the Vikings at the time, so the Dolphins took the risk of rehabing his knee without really knowing of the real problems; also, Daunte as a player did not have to play in the 2006 season and could have told the team that he wanted to take the year off instead of diving into the madness. In the end, Daunte could still be playing as a back-up, but he didn't bother paying an agent(fired him over a contract situation) for his services since he is too good for his own good. I hope you enjoy your time defending him in this forum.

It's obvious that you are biased in regards any topic related to Daunte. If he was not able to get a job in this league then that is his fault since he represented himself all along. That is why you have an agent, and that agent takes care of all the business that is involved in a contract. You are throwing all these stats -in front of us as we didn't know this; however, in the nfl you are as good as what you are today.

Daunte is not one of the elite quarterbacks in the league and you need to deal with that; moreover, do not be surprised with the fan reaction since it is totally normal.

The miami dolphins were the one seeking a trade with the Vikings at the time, so the Dolphins took the risk of rehabing his knee without really knowing of the real problems; also, Daunte as a player did not have to play in the 2006 season and could have told the team that he wanted to take the year off instead of diving into the madness. In the end, Daunte could still be playing as a back-up, but he didn't bother paying an agent(fired him over a contract situation) for his services since he is too good for his own good. I hope you enjoy your time defending him in this forum.

Duante isnt even an average talent. He is a piss poor NFL QB who lives his life in denial if he thinks he is a starter anywhere, hence, proven by every NFL team this year

Bottom-line: whether he can still marginally play or not, he's become a red flag to FOs when they have the luxury of passing on him. That might change with injuries but when they have their "druthers" his self-representation, sabotaging of Fins attempts to get something for him, refusal to rehab in an organized Twin Cities program under the watchful eyes of the Vikes - instead choosing his own gym behind some Sears in a strip shopping center somewhere in Central Florida, taunting the Fins and their fans during his only recent shining-moment....not to mention the Hooker Cruise poor judgment, all contribute to transforming that flag from a yellow "proceed with caution" into a crimson red "stay away if possible". I have no sympathy for someone who took a few hits for us and put on a few hundred exercise bicycle miles while being paid $millions by Wayne.

As to whether he gets a bum rap for everyone giving Moss too much contributory credit for his good numbers, the season of his injury, his first Moss-less one would strongly argue otherwise. Even at that point he still possessed his mobility. Now with limitations to that mobility or someone like Moss to exploit his exceptional arm strength, he has proven himself not to be a particularly thinking, improvisational or resourceful QB.

A good agent grounds his client in reality while a moronic agent just fuels the flames of delusion. To FO's even his choice of agency only confirms their perceptions. He'd still probably be a decent fill-in for a team with other strengths to compensate for his plodding defense-reading but unless we're talking Arena Ball, as far as starting's concerned, that's all she wrote!

“I measure what's going on, and I adapt to it. I try to get my ego out of the way. The market is smarter than I am so I bend.”-Martin Zweig (Wall Street Legend and Author)

do0zs3-1.jpg

Like you are any less biased the opposite way lol. I personally dont give a damn about Daunte but he is a better qb than many qb's that were being offered better deals. Trent Green blows at this point in his career and still keeps getting money. As for him taking a year off, have you ever played sports, very few athletes will take themselves out of the same much less sit out a year. Most athletes want to play, its a medical staff and coaches job to determine if they can play and we all know our medical staff is famous for some blunders during that era(or maybe you forgot the Damion McIntosh signing). People on this board want to hate Daunte because of some perceived wrong he did to the organization, Cameron mishandled this issue from the beginning and created the problem and Daunte did what most pissed off players would do, try to gain as much control as possible.
In the end the Cameron decision to dump Culpepper yielded us nothing but wasting another draft pick on a guy that was no better Daunte, prepared our draft pick better than Daunte would have(wow Trent thanks for preparing our rookie, he now has basically been replaced) an was cut from the team after his first season also. Daunte is not the only player to play hardball in a teams effort to trade him. People act like Daunte stole thier puppy.

If anyone has time and would like excellent reading materila go back through the archives and find all the Daunte arguments I was involved w/ when you guys got him.

There were some of us on here that were against it to begin with. Though I do remember being called a bad fan because I thought Culpepper was overrated.

Like you are any less biased the opposite way lol. I personally don't give a damn about Daunte

This an insincere statement on your part. You most certainly do care or how do you explain all the effort you spend sticking up for him?

dlockz said:
but he is a better QB than many qb's that were being offered better deals. Trent Green blows at this point in his career and still keeps getting money.

This is your opinion and it does not appear to be shared by the front offices across the nfl who have a need for a QB

dlockz said:
As for him taking a year off, have you ever played sports, very few athletes will take themselves out of the same much less sit out a year. Most athletes want to play, its a medical staff and coaches job to determine if they can play and we all know our medical staff is famous for some blunders during that era(or maybe you forgot the Damion McIntosh signing).

I really want you to consider this statement more then any other thing you have said. You are absolving him of personal responsibility about his injury. You are basing your premises on the fact that he is a typical athlete and just wants to get out on the field. You place blame on the team for allowing him to play and buying his lies about that status of his recovery. According to you he bears no personal responsibilities for his problems.

If you can see that he is going to have to have a skewed perception about his health because he is a player and not a doctor. Why cant you accept the fact that he can have an equally skewed perception on the contractual side. He is not an agent either. For every wrong medical decision he has made about himself he has made blunders on the business side just as catastrophic. If he was arrested and represented himself at a trial and lost, would you say it wasn't his fault because he is a player and not a lawyer?

dlockz said:
People on this board want to hate Daunte because of some perceived wrong he did to the organization

you really give him a free pass for his behavior here and don't think he shares in any of the responsibility of his disappointing tenure here?

How about the crowd taunting when he returned here as a Raider?

dlockz said:
Cameron mishandled this issue from the beginning and created the problem and Daunte did what most pissed off players would do, try to gain as much control as possible.

I think you will find most people on this site believe that our medical staff made mistakes on several occasions evaluating him.

Saban made a mistake with him.

Cameron made mistakes with him.

They all share responsibility along with Daunte himself for the mess of his stint here created.

dlockz said:
In the end the Cameron decision to dump Culpepper yielded us nothing but wasting another draft pick on a guy that was no better Daunte, prepared our draft pick better than Daunte would have(wow Trent thanks for preparing our rookie, he now has basically been replaced) an was cut from the team after his first season also. Daunte is not the only player to play hardball in a teams effort to trade him. People act like Daunte stole their puppy.

You love to deflect the focus of the topic which is daunte not Trent. Trent has nothing to do with Daunte. Stick to the subject.

There were some of us on here that were against it to begin with. Though I do remember being called a bad fan because I thought Culpepper was overrated.

Dont worry , they did the same to me when I said it made no sense to dump a qb that was bad and hurt for an older version that was bad and hurt that cost us another draft pick. Oh well guess I was so wrong and Trent Green did us so well and mentored Beck into our next starter lol.

This an insincere statement on your part. You most certainly do care or how do you explain all the effort you spend sticking up for him?

I just dislike the irrational dislike of a player for basically no reason

This is your opinion and it does not appear to be shared by the front offices across the nfl who have a need for a QB

Big deal and the whole major leagues have blackballed Barry Bonds does that mean he is not good enough to play in the majors, I know you dont seriously think this. There is more to this matter than talent

I really want you to consider this statement more then any other thing you have said. You are absolving him of personal responsibility about his injury. You are basing your premises on the fact that he is a typical athlete and just wants to get out on the field. You place blame on the team for allowing him to play and buying his lies about that status of his recovery. According to you he bears no personal responsibilities for his problems.

If you can see that he is going to have to have a skewed perception about his health because he is a player and not a doctor. Why cant you accept the fact that he can have an equally skewed perception on the contractual side. He is not an agent either. For every wrong medical decision he has made about himself he has made blunders on the business side just as catastrophic. If he was arrested and represented himself at a trial and lost, would you say it wasn't his fault because he is a player and not a lawyer?

Actually he is an agent. The only flaw that has shown in him being an agent is not getting a job this offseason. As an agent he got himself sent to a team he wanted to play for and kept the dolphins from just doing whatever they wanted to do with him. He then got a pretty decent one year contract from Oakland and was the starting qb in 3 out of thier 4 wins which is three more than any of our qb's had including 0-4 Trent Green. He may or may not have done a good job this offseason as an agent but maybe teams just dont want to deal with him after the ordeal in Miami. Again though I will say its not an athletes job to determine if he is healthy enough to play, I have played when I could not raise my arm above my waist, do you think any athlete wants to just sit. They all think they can play.

you really give him a free pass for his behavior here and don't think he shares in any of the responsibility of his disappointing tenure here?

How about the crowd taunting when he returned here as a Raider?

He pointed at his knee to say yes its alright, basically saying to the fans the coaches should have given me a chance. He never did or said anything bad about the Miami fans so people are really making this out wrong. As for how the situation played out we have no clue what was said to Daunte by the new regime. Thier statements before they aquired Green seem to imply that once he was cleared to play he would be given a chance to compete but that proved to be just a cover for what they were actually planning to do. They seemed to never be honest in all thier dealings last year and I saw nothing in thier Culepper dealings to think they were above board. We actually have no clue either way but they were incompetent in every other way so I dont see why this is the one thing they did right.

I think you will find most people on this site believe that our medical staff made mistakes on several occasions evaluating him.

Saban made a mistake with him.

Cameron made mistakes with him.

They all share responsibility along with Daunte himself for the mess of his stint here created.

The mess was started with the staff and it created the Daunte situation but of course we all blame Daunte , what the heck it really doesn't matter.

You love to deflect the focus of the topic which is daunte not Trent. Trent has nothing to do with Daunte. Stick to the subject.

It has everything to do with Trent because thats the player we replaced him with and it was not an upgrade in anyway and he even was not the so called mentor that so many claimed he would be. Trent basically forced the same situation in KC but we gave him a free pass because it happened to another team.

I wil end this restating that none of us know what happened behind closed doors I just dont dont understand the assumptions that Culpepper screwed the team based on everything that went on. He seemed to react to how they treated him.

i think the damage to his knee was the reason he could never return to form. i don't think his knee was ever right with the dolphins or the raiders, or now. at least not to the level where he could play with the mobility he displayed early on in minnesota.

but yes, even healthy he was an overrated player.

He was awful before he hurt his knee in '05 w/o Moss and co. He was always an overrated player that couldn't get it done in big spots.

He was awful before he hurt his knee in '05 w/o Moss and co. He was always an overrated player that couldn't get it done in big spots.

First time I agree with a Jets fan. The Daunte situation on this site was absurd, I was strongly anti-Duante, and compared getting him to worse then the Feely move. And my anti-Duante threads were oushed to the depths, guess I waas right, the guy is a bum

To say the Dolphins did not give him a chance is wrong. the Fins traded a #2 Draft pick for him. He convinced Saban and the medical staff he was healthy and ready to go and then everyone including Dolphin fans found out he was lying. As a result of Duante's deception, we no longer have Nick Saban and he may have ruined whatever reputation Rand Mueller had especially since Drew Brees is now flourishing. When a franchise invests the millions in a player and feel it's been duped, word gets around. It would not surprise me on bit if the bitterness carried over to last
year when Mueller and Cameron conspired to get rid of him. They were convinced he could not be trusted.

To say the Dolphins did not give him a chance is wrong. the Fins traded a #2 Draft pick for him. He convinced Saban and the medical staff he was healthy and ready to go and then everyone including Dolphin fans found out he was lying. As a result of Duante's deception, we no longer have Nick Saban and he may have ruined whatever reputation Rand Mueller had especially since Drew Brees is now flourishing. When a franchise invests the millions in a player and feel it's been duped, word gets around. It would not surprise me on bit if the bitterness carried over to last
year when Mueller and Cameron conspired to get rid of him. They were convinced he could not be trusted.

Damn Daunte is a genius he fooled all these people that are paid to evaluate players. Pure foolishness. Daunte was injured when we signed him and we thought he might miss half the season then he played in preseason. Nobody duped the idiots that were running the team. Yea and cam's opinion on anything is worth dog piss.

Back
Top Bottom