Miami defeats Bears 36 years ago today. Ending their chance at undefeated. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami defeats Bears 36 years ago today. Ending their chance at undefeated.

Love when someone posts this annually
it never gets old
There are a few “are you kidding me” throws in that game that I never tire of looking at. I think the 3rd and 15 where Marino throws it off his back foot, fading away - like about 30-35 yards in the air on a frozen rope to Clayton for a 20 something hard hookup was just so “not normal”. I don’t think Aaron Rodgers could make that throw. Insane.

I was around 6 years old and was visiting my mom’s cousin at the hospital due to a motorcycle accident. 😂 he was a huge dolphins fan at the time, he had the game on. I became a dolphins fan that day watching Marino. For all the younger posters here, Marino was , is the greatest passer the nfl has ever seen. There’s no one even close to him. Not Brady, manning or Bree’s. If Marino was playing in this era of football he would be averaging 80 tds and 10,000 yards per season. Marino was magical.

Their winning percentage in those Super Bowls is pretty crazy too— not crazy good though.
Yeah I know. They all came in the league as the NFC was just starting its run of dominance winning 15 in a row. And all those guys - all 6 - went to AFC teams who were out physicalled in every SB by the Skins, 69ers, Cowboys, Giants and Bears 1x. Had some of those guys like Marino, Kelly and Elway went to the NFC they likely win a lot of SBs. Elway got lucky very late in his career as they pricked Davis and he basically won that first SB single handed. I think Elway had a 24 QBR in that game or something.

Yeah I know. They all came in the league as the NFC was just starting its run of dominance winning 15 in a row. And all those guys - all 6 - went to AFC teams who were out physicalled in every SB by the Skins, 69ers, Cowboys, Giants and Bears 1x. Had some of those guys like Marino, Kelly and Elway went to the NFC they likely win a lot of SBs. Elway got lucky very late in his career as they pricked Davis and he basically won that first SB single handed. I think Elway had a 24 QBR in that game or something.
At one point, Elway, Marino, and Kelly were 0-8 in Super Bowls. The really obnoxious thing is that Elway not only redeems himself in the late 90s, he also makes the All-90s team based on those later Broncos squads.

The game that made me a dolphins fan. Living in Chicago, obviously my entire family was obsessed with the bears in 85. I was a 7 year old watching with my dad and was only allowed to stay up for the first half. I was sold because that may have been the greatest half I've ever watched.

I still have the laminated newspaper front pages from the tribune and the Miami herald from that day. The tribune one said "Monday night is seafood night" and of course the herald said "Miami Vice" and had the dolphin logo eating a bear. They were both published in the tribune.

To say that it drives my friends nuts about how I became a dolphin fan is an understatement.

I still have the laminated newspaper front pages from the tribune and the Miami herald from that day. The tribune one said "Monday night is seafood night" and of course the herald said "Miami Vice" and had the dolphin logo eating a bear. They were both published in the tribune.
Good memory. Those ads were published in the papers down here too. I certainly remember them and this was well before the Internet age. I was 11 1/2 and in the sixth grade. Only watched the first half on tv. Listened to the rest of the game on the radio, surreptitiously.

And speaking of the Internet age:

I was there and it was one of the most exciting games I ever attended and I attended nearly 400 Dolphin games over 45 years.
‘While preventing the Bears from going undefeated was great. The best part of the game was shutting up the two Bear fans sitting behind us who told all of us that the Bears were going to destroy the Dolphins that night.

I can still remember them getting up and leaving the game with about 5 minutes remaining when they realized that their Bears were going down to defeat. The Dolphin fans in the stands serenaded them by singing goodbye and they left their seats without saying a word. I still smile when I remember that night.

Great game, but now I feel old. Feels more like yesterday, not 36 years!!! I was in college watching it on the big TV in the dorm lounge area with many other Dolphin fans (and of course some Bears folks since I was in the upper peninsula of Michigan).

At one point, Elway, Marino, and Kelly were 0-8 in Super Bowls. The really obnoxious thing is that Elway not only redeems himself in the late 90s, he also makes the All-90s team based on those later Broncos squads.
I didn’t know that. All 90’s. Ridiculous. He was at his best between 85’-‘89.

Can definitely believe that, and can't blame him. That was the best single-season football team I've ever seen (I was 4 when the '72 Dolphins happened, still, the '85 Bears were ridiculous).
I know that Bears team gets that accolade a lot but I really think the ‘84 49ers were better. At 15-1 (they also lost to the loser of the AFC championship game for their 1 loss - in OT) were better. They had passing, running, great o-line, Joe Montana and a sick defense with that nasty line + Keena Turner and the 4 studs in the secondary. I didn’t think they had a weakness where the ‘85 Bears had a couple. One we exposed but it took a QB w a great release to beat that rush and the second was their passing game. It really wasn’t anything special. Heaven help them if you could get a lead on that team. But alas, they were so good no one could really do it.

Back
Top Bottom