Miami Dolphin OC’s: Its Not Them, It’s Us! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphin OC’s: Its Not Them, It’s Us!

Aqua Man

Scout Team
Club Member
Reaction score
When the list of OC candidates hit the internet a few days ago, a lot of Dolphin fans were underwhelmed by the names they were seeing. That surprised me as I’m actually pretty excited for a couple of the names on the list.
That, coupled with the news that Bills OC Brian Dabboll is poised to become the new Charger HC has me strolling down memory lane in regards to OC’s who have flamed out in Miami only to go on and have success elsewhere.

Dabboll was Dolphin’s OC for 1 season back in 2011 and the results were pretty awful. In fact, I’ve always felt like he was one of the worst OC’s to ever come through Miami. We were a 6-10 football team that managed to score 30 points or more in 4 of our games while the team failed to score at least 20 points in 9 games that season. Now to be fair, that was 9 years ago and Dabboll has obviously grown as a coach while studying under some pretty brilliant football minds- Nick Saban just to name 1, since departing Miami. That being said. I think Dabboll serves as a good example as to why Miami has struggled to put together above average Offenses on a consistent basis for a very long time.

When looking back at our OC’s in the post Shula era, Miami has struggled to have any sort of continuity at OC & QB, and so far into Brian Flores’ tenure, it seems to be the one thing Flores hasn’t been able to figure out yet. Now, for the first time in a very long time, Miami invested a Top 5 draft pick in a player who is supposed to be our franchise QB of the future and that makes this next OC hire HUGE if Miami hopes to buck the trend that has plagued this franchise for over two decades.

Without knowing what went on behind the scenes in Flores’ first year with O’Shae at OC, it’s hard to know why he was 1-and-done. Miami was starting to see better Offensive output as the season wore on with a roster that lacked any semblance of a talent on Offense. Chan Gailey was chosen as his replacement and the results were easily predicted: Another year of underwhelming production and Miami sitting in an all too familiar situation in which year 3 of the Brian Flores era will yield a 3rd OC.

Flores absolutely has to get this hire right. The development of our potential franchise QB hangs in the balance. Another 1-and-done OC will lead to Tua’s 3rd OC in his first 3 years and will almost assuredly mean that more seeds of doubt will be planted as to Tua not being the guy and the cycle that has grown extremely tiresome for Dolphin fans will yet again reset itself.

Now, if and when Flores hires the right guy, Dolphin fans (and coach Flores) need to show some patience. If the draft and FA go the way most of us think it will, Miami will have improved the skill positions, as well as having a 2nd year QB playing behind a young offensive line that has 3 promising players also entering their 2nd year. At that point, the most important thing Flores can give his offensive players and staff is CONTINUITY. Miami has finally put themselves in a position in which a talented core of youngsters can grow in an offensive system that isn’t changing every year. Anything less than that will lead us right back to where we always seem to be- looking to hit the reset button yet again.

When the list of OC candidates hit the internet a few days ago, a lot of Dolphin fans were underwhelmed by the names they were seeing. That surprised me as I’m actually pretty excited for a couple of the names on the list.
That, coupled with the news that Bills OC Brian Dabboll is poised to become the new Charger HC has me strolling down memory lane in regards to OC’s who have flamed out in Miami only to go on and have success elsewhere.

Dabboll was Dolphin’s OC for 1 season back in 2011 and the results were pretty awful. In fact, I’ve always felt like he was one of the worst OC’s to ever come through Miami. We were a 6-10 football team that managed to score 30 points or more in 4 of our games while the team failed to score at least 20 points in 9 games that season. Now to be fair, that was 9 years ago and Dabboll has obviously grown as a coach while studying under some pretty brilliant football minds- Nick Saban just to name 1, since departing Miami. That being said. I think Dabboll serves as a good example as to why Miami has struggled to put together above average Offenses on a consistent basis for a very long time.

When looking back at our OC’s in the post Shula era, Miami has struggled to have any sort of continuity at OC & QB, and so far into Brian Flores’ tenure, it seems to be the one thing Flores hasn’t been able to figure out yet. Now, for the first time in a very long time, Miami invested a Top 5 draft pick in a player who is supposed to be our franchise QB of the future and that makes this next OC hire HUGE if Miami hopes to buck the trend that has plagued this franchise for over two decades.

Without knowing what went on behind the scenes in Flores’ first year with O’Shae at OC, it’s hard to know why he was 1-and-done. Miami was starting to see better Offensive output as the season wore on with a roster that lacked any semblance of a talent on Offense. Chan Gailey was chosen as his replacement and the results were easily predicted: Another year of underwhelming production and Miami sitting in an all too familiar situation in which year 3 of the Brian Flores era will yield a 3rd OC.

Flores absolutely has to get this hire right. The development of our potential franchise QB hangs in the balance. Another 1-and-done OC will lead to Tua’s 3rd OC in his first 3 years and will almost assuredly mean that more seeds of doubt will be planted as to Tua not being the guy and the cycle that has grown extremely tiresome for Dolphin fans will yet again reset itself.

Now, if and when Flores hires the right guy, Dolphin fans (and coach Flores) need to show some patience. If the draft and FA go the way most of us think it will, Miami will have improved the skill positions, as well as having a 2nd year QB playing behind a young offensive line that has 3 promising players also entering their 2nd year. At that point, the most important thing Flores can give his offensive players and staff is CONTINUITY. Miami has finally put themselves in a position in which a talented core of youngsters can grow in an offensive system that isn’t changing every year. Anything less than that will lead us right back to where we always seem to be- looking to hit the reset button yet again.
Nice post brother.

I’m on board with whoever they hire.

The Grier/Flo combo have earned credibility.
Agreed, Flo is not messing around. IF a guy is not living up the standards of coaching he's gone. Evidence of our 3rd OC and 2nd DC in 2 years, not to mention the change in the position coaches as well.

Most of the rumors were that he was the one who advocated for Rosen and pounded the table to get him here. I guess the had claimed he could turn Rosen around. Hard to know 100%, these were the RUMORS.

You’re right about hiring the Right OC and then having continuity there. Flo seems to change assistant coaches in general like socks. Only red flag about him IMHO, although maybe it’s a good thing if he has conviction on someone. But at some point, continuity is important to get over that hump.

I think the Daboll 1 and done shows that having a good offensive mind goes hand in hand with personnel on and off the field.

I remember doing a deep dive on Daboll when he was hired and was really excited to see what he would do. But with '3 yards and a cloud of dust'-Sparano (RIP), Marlon Moore, Roberto Wallace, Chad Henne and that world class John Jerry led offensive line, how could Daboll succeed? The only real talent we had on offense was Reggie Bush and increasingly frustrated by lack of QB talent Brandon Marshall.

Not surprised to see Daboll have the kind of offense I was hoping the Dolphins would have then.

You’re right about hiring the Right OC and then having continuity there. Flo seems to change assistant coaches in general like socks. Only red flag about him IMHO, although maybe it’s a good thing if he has conviction on someone. But at some point, continuity is important to get over that hump.
I see it as Flo is not willing to stick to something he feels isn't working. He knows no one (including) himself has the rope to muck around with a bad system for a few seasons in hope it turns around.

The Gailey hire was absoloutely the right hire...for Fitz. O'Shea was a questionable fire.

I believe that Flores came into this season with Fitz as the starter to ride the wave from last season.

I don't think Tua was even in the plans to play any serious time this season.

The next OC...whomever it is, needs to be young (coaching wise so he doesn't leave for a HC position when one opens up) and progressive.

My only problem with that list is, not one of the names was so spectacular, that it removed the idea we might end up hiring from inside.

In all due respect to Godsey and Studesville, I do not want the same thinking from last year, but a new fresh offense...Someone that can get the most out of Tua.

And they don’t waste time elongating a decision that doesn’t pan out.

Nail, meet hammer. Right on the head.

You make 50 decisions, half might be wrong, that's the nature of the game. I agree this FO will just move on. Not going to compound a miss by holding on too long trying to prove they are right.

They closed the door on Rosen rather quickly, which now feels like it was 2-3 years ago already.

Easier said than done.
If we find a good one, in 2 3 years, he'll get offer for HC.
There goes the 'continuity'.

Easier said than done.
If we find a good one, in 2 3 years, he'll get offer for HC.
There goes the 'continuity'.
Meh, most teams aren’t changing their O and D coordinators every year. Just saying, if Tua had 3 years in one system, that would be enough for him to develop and learn the game without having to focus on learning new verbiage and such every year. To be fair, he’s only had one O coordinator in the pros So far, now he will be on his second. I think it will be important that next year at this time we’re not looking to hire his 3rd. That seems like an obvious point to me, and was all I was trying to say, other than to also point out that there is more assistant coach turnover under Flo on both sides of the ball than I have ever seen in the NFL, not sure what it means, but I hope it settles down at some point.

I want an OC who will play to the strengths of the talent we have. Currently, very little talent. An OC who can adjust during the game and particularly at half time. Most importantly this OC must work on Tua's development and help him become who we all hope.

Back
Top Bottom