Miami Dolphins Coaching Search: Players Endorse Darren Rizzi’s Candidacy | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Coaching Search: Players Endorse Darren Rizzi’s Candidacy

I don’t know of any other examples but John Harbaugh was elevated from ST To HC in Baltimore. That may be the end of the comparison but it’s worth noting.

Personally I wouldn’t hate Rizzi but it wouldn’t be my first choice. I’m undecided right now.

I believe Dick Vermeil was an ST coach.

We shall see, but I don't think that's the plan.

Ya that is the plan. Name me another team or time where a GM picked the coaching staff for the head coach?

Ya that is the plan. Name me another team or time where a GM picked the coaching staff for the head coach?
I don't pretend to know the inner workings of all NFL teams, but I would ask, how's that been working out for the Phins with the first time HCs we've had?

I think a competent GM would have said Hell No to Burke, given the overall circumstances.

If this happens it'll be another spinning the wheels retread hire and a lost season(s) - Rizzi seems like another "buddy" type coach who is pals with the players.....no wonder they want him. It's like when you were a kid and wanted the easy teacher vs. the one who gave you a lot of homework & was demanding.

What this team needs is a TOTAL change in coaching and mentality. Someone not connected with the mediocrity and failed past but a whole new outlook & staff. Rizzi needs to go (as well as every other coach currently on the staff) and we need to stop keeping hangers on and past reminders of organizational failure ( and that includes Grier but at this point he's the guy...no reason to keep anyone in the coaching tree though).

I don't pretend to know the inner workings of all NFL teams, but I would ask, how's that been working out for the Phins with the first time HCs we've had?

I think a competent GM would have said Hell No to Burke, given the overall circumstances.

Wait a minute.

So...you're suggesting that the formula that has pretty much been used successfully across the NFL shouldn't be used in this case...just because of Matt Burke?

I honestly want nothing to do with this guy as the HC. But you know what? My opinion doesn’t matter.

Last edited:

Yea, I don't get that... The HC has to be able to assemble HIS STAFF and

maybe Grier will have some input per se but no way I see Grier forcing the issue

with position coaches etc.

I don't think ANY HC would come here under those parameters

I've never heard of a GM picking the coaching staff UNLESS the HC was also the GM.

Every candidate will bring a big arse book with them outlining what their plan is as a head coach. A long list of coordinators and position coaches and then they will talk about who they think they can get to come here. They will also talk about philosophy and which schemes they will run.

Rizzi has only been in the pros in Miami so his contacts may not be all that great. He has coached under Tony Sparano so he may have some guys from that tree....Mike Nolan, Kacy Rodgers, Todd Bowles, Dan Campbell, etc.

He was also on the kick-off safety rules committee so he may have made some good contacts there.

If Rizzi doesn’t get the gig he may bail for an opportunity elsewhere.

I think this is very likely but it will depend on the HC that ultimately gets the job. Maybe he will stay if he likes the guy. Why move from the place you have been for 9 years if it is just to take another ST coordinator role?

Option 1.....Kris Richard
Option 2....Rizzi

That's how I feel. And if you don't get Richard and don't think Rizzi is ready, tell him you want him to stay as ST coach and also be assistant head coach. Yes, it may pizz off the new head coach, but if your not getting Richard, I don't care, tell them to deal with it.

No one else mentioned so far deserves the keys to the kingdom all by his lonesome. And Richard only because he's the top candidate this year.

Wait a minute.

So...you're suggesting that the formula that has pretty much been used successfully across the NFL shouldn't be used in this case...just because of Matt Burke?
I'm suggesting that, not being privy to what all other franchises do, that there is probably precedence for this structure.

I'm not saying its the right, or best way. I'm just calling it as I see it going down. Everything isn't an argument pro or con. I know it seems that way sometimes.

Just because I see things a certain way, doesn't, necessarily, mean I approve.

Option 1.....Kris Richard
Option 2....Rizzi

That's how I feel. And if you don't get Richard and don't think Rizzi is ready, tell him you want him to stay as ST coach and also be assistant head coach. Yes, it may pizz off the new head coach, but if your not getting Richard, I don't care, tell them to deal with it.

No one else mentioned so far deserves the keys to the kingdom all by his lonesome. And Richard only because he's the top candidate this year.
I would think that those things are defined to the perspective hire, during the interview process. There should be no surprises.

Back
Top Bottom