Miami Dolphins Move Toward New Philosophy, And It Will Be Painful | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Move Toward New Philosophy, And It Will Be Painful

Coaches rarely tank. Owners tank all the time, they just can't admit to doing it. Players give up on seasons and give up on coaches, it happens every year. It happened with the Dolphins at the end of this past year. The Raiders are doing it now. Gruden has a 10 year contract, he's tanking hard to get good draft picks and totally rebuild. He may tank next year as well. He knows he gets a new lease on life once he gets to Las Vegas, so the lame duck year(s) are the perfect time to tank so he can build a consistent winner. That's why he traded Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper. He is tanking. But most coaches get fired if they tank, so they rarely do it. Guys like Bowles in New York. The owners wanted to tank, Bowles didn't. Rarely do coaches have the confidence in their position like Jimmy Johnson did when he tanked with the Cowboys his first year with his buddy who threw out Tom Landry and installed Johnson as coach, or Gruden does with the Raiders and an insane 10 year contract and two lame duck years in Oakland.

I think Ross is listening to someone on the outside. Those voices are probably telling him its time to blow it up, tank, and get a new QB next season. If that is true, he will subtly tell his next coach that he is not concerned with the first year's record, because he wants to lay the foundations for a consistently winning team. Owner's say things like that when they want to tank, and listening to Ross's presser with Grier, I kinda got the feeling that was the sort of thing he was suggesting. Who knows, maybe he's not tanking, but I kinda think Ross is.

The Gruden tank job is hilarious. He was hold back from laughing at questions about Mack lol! I wouldn’t be surprised if he has or will shop Carr and try to get a top 5 pick in 2020 for the QB that he wants. Gruden has the mega contract and it is going to allow him to build the Raiders in his vision. I think that they will be a dominant team in 3 years.

Won't be painful at all. The only way it's painful is if we suck and our young guys show little to nothing. As long as there's growth I'm good.

I fully support tanking. Tua is worth it just like Luck was when we ****ed that up to "be competitive"

I agree with your first statement and I am looking for some solid growth.
I disagree with tanking on purpose for any reason.

Good point, I think Jackson tried to tank as well, but his team got too used to losing and couldn't come out of the funk. By the time he got his QB, it was too late. He couldn't turn that team around instantly, too many people expecting to lose and unwilling to work to change it. Then he made an enemy of Mayfield, so when Mayfield finally got his chance, it was too late for Jackson.

But teams wax and wane. Gruden can build a team by the time they get to Las Vegas. It's a tough division, but every year 40% of the playoff teams change, so I don't think he's too worried at the moment. He is trying to build a team that can challenge for the Super Bowl, so he can't really be too worried about tough competition.
I don't think Gruden is that good of coach. He was at right place at right time to win SB. Plus k.c is going be good for while w that qb.

The Gruden tank job is hilarious. He was hold back from laughing at questions about Mack lol! I wouldn’t be surprised if he has or will shop Carr and try to get a top 5 pick in 2020 for the QB that he wants. Gruden has the mega contract and it is going to allow him to build the Raiders in his vision. I think that they will be a dominant team in 3 years.
Derek Carr is the only QB who might be available this offseason that I'd go after. Carr is extremely talented, and Gruden seems to be poisoning the water.

Look playing to tank is bs. You get the right coach and thats not needed. Getting the right QB this year outside of possibly Carr looks like a longshot. Imo I build that oline this year with the focus on a running game that takes the pressure off my QB. We have a decent stable of running backs. If I can't get the QB I want then I consider Ryann T for another year. In tems of the defense scrap the wide 9 of course keep the 4 3 scheme next year but add a young Hayes to the bunch. Its all about winning now while building for the future. Loosing for the future is contagious.

After watching that presser I'm even more happy I was praying for us to get slaughtered by the Bills. "All of you guys were wrong, I didn't make a decision on Gase until last night after thinking about the game"- Ross.

Back
Top Bottom