Miami Dolphins Move Toward New Philosophy, And It Will Be Painful | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Move Toward New Philosophy, And It Will Be Painful

Ya LB another weak spot.
Sadly Kiko is best we got and getting rid of him an easy decision.
McMillan so far pretty disappointing IMO don't see anything special there.
Baker refreshing and showing potential in this his first year but still to be determined...

At 13 pk. probably no real QB option and we may pick up a Bridgewater, damn hes only what 26. So if Devon White is on the board I'm running up to the podium with bells on....

McMillan began to flash 2nd half season - thinking he finally got healthy.

image.jpg

In real estate developer Stephen Ross’s mind, the Miami Dolphins are about to embark on a building project for the football team that mirrors the one previously and successfully undertaken at his Hard Rock Stadium
You remember that stadium rebuild that started in 2015, right?
Ross had an old, nearly obsolete facility in 2015 when he began to refurbish it at a cost of more than $500 million. And the project was ugly and dusty and uncomfortable that first year, as seating capacity actually went down.
And it was ugly and dusty and uncomfortable the second year although much less so. And by the time the project was complete in 2017, Hard Rock Stadium was reborn as a beautiful facility worthy of hosting Super Bowls and other grand events again.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article223769965.html
Wow, I have to say that the video of Ross' announcement was inspiring. That is by far the best and most knowledgeable and correct presser I've seen out of Ross since he bought the team. This is impressive. He didn't try to pose like he understands football. He justified his reasons grounded in what he knows, operations and organizational behavior. He correctly assessed Chris Grier's situation. He didn't overpromise. He didn't set up some complex set of hurdles through which he was going to make candidates jump. He didn't act like it was easy or guaranteed. He spoke about what he knows about, and he gave reasons why he made the decisions he made. Maybe Stephen Ross is learning how to be an owner?

As for Armando's article … man during a time of huge change and lots of topics to write about, why did he write an entire article that can be summed up as … 'change is coming' … because he is saving all of the interesting stuff for another article maybe?

Yeah, we know the drill. New coach means new QB, huge roster turnover, culling of anyone loyal to the past regime, culling of anyone who doesn't fit the systems of the new coach, and a culling of old players. There's a lot to write about in there.

Dump all the salary decline all the vet options and trade players for draft assets if we are really in a full rebuild.

And of course you better hit on your qb draft pick whoever that is or your basically screwed.

Grier is front and center now its his head on the block.
Completely agree. But, most coaches are not going to take the risk of tanking their first year, which is what this approach embraces.

So if we get vic to be our coach everyone thinks our d will be trash and we only win 3 games? Our defense can be turned aroujd very easily with the right coach. A good defense will win you 6 games a year

So if we get vic to be our coach everyone thinks our d will be trash and we only win 3 games? Our defense can be turned aroujd very easily with the right coach. A good defense will win you 6 games a year
our defense and offense was trash and we was still in afc playoff hunt. that say a lot about team we have.

If im going 34 im dumping everything we have on the edge. I dont see a fit anywhere
But let's be honest, we have nothing on the edge. We have zero DE's upon which to build. Our entire LB corps is mediocre. Now is the perfect time to change up a defense. The only pieces we have that are worth preserving are Howard and Fitzpatrick. Literally everyone else is expendable on our defense.

It's also the perfect time to change the offense, as we have a mix of guys who could work in a ZBS or power scheme, and the only guaranteed keeper on the OL is Tunsil. We have Stills, Wilson, and Grant as a solid receiving corps with Drake and Grant providing options in the return game. Drake can pass protect and run. Mike Gesicki has taken a lot of heat this year, but IMHO, he's a fantastic TE prospect and I'm expecting a lot of improvement next year. TE's always struggle as rookies with few exceptions. But that kid is special. So if a new coach comes in and builds an OL this year and adds a QB next year, he can build a good offense quickly.

The key is to get the QB, and that's unlikely to happen this year. If we waste resources getting a stopgap like Foles or Bridgewater, then we continue to be fools. So the plan should be to rebuild in both trenches this year, with some mid and late round picks across the defense. Then assemble resources for the 2020 draft and get a franchise QB.

Grab some whiskey, 2019 is not likely to be pretty for the Dolphins.

We got everything my man. We need a coach. Belichick gets it done. Others get it done with lesser talent. We are not worse, we got players for everything.
We need bigger LBs that can hold up at the POA. A 34 exposes your LBs to the OL, where as, a 43 covers up the LBs and lets them fill holes while the DL occupies the OL. Much as we've seen with the wide 9 concept, we don't have a MLB that has the size and strength to take on the OL that he will be asked to deal with in a 34, much less two. Even the OLBs, in my opinion, need some added size and we clearly don't have that. Baker, while I like what I have seen from him this year, would not fit a 34 scheme, IMHO. It's not about having talented players, but the right talented players.

But let's be honest, we have nothing on the edge. We have zero DE's upon which to build. Our entire LB corps is mediocre. Now is the perfect time to change up a defense. The only pieces we have that are worth preserving are Howard and Fitzpatrick. Literally everyone else is expendable on our defense.

It's also the perfect time to change the offense, as we have a mix of guys who could work in a ZBS or power scheme, and the only guaranteed keeper on the OL is Tunsil. We have Stills, Wilson, and Grant as a solid receiving corps with Drake and Grant providing options in the return game. Drake can pass protect and run. Mike Gesicki has taken a lot of heat this year, but IMHO, he's a fantastic TE prospect and I'm expecting a lot of improvement next year. TE's always struggle as rookies with few exceptions. But that kid is special. So if a new coach comes in and builds an OL this year and adds a QB next year, he can build a good offense quickly.

The key is to get the QB, and that's unlikely to happen this year. If we waste resources getting a stopgap like Foles or Bridgewater, then we continue to be fools. So the plan should be to rebuild in both trenches this year, with some mid and late round picks across the defense. Then assemble resources for the 2020 draft and get a franchise QB.

Good write up. While i agree with you 2019 is going to be a tough one, at least there will be no facade with it. We've been sold the idea that this team is a contender for the last 6 seasons or so and the reality is they weren't. I think Ross is even fed up with it.

Embrace the rebuild. It doesn't have to be boring. If you're interested enough to sign up to this site and contribute, you can be interested in watching the process unfold. We know it's a QB league and you are irrelevant without an Ace. Let's get the elite quarterback and then be comfortable knowing we will be a factor year in, year out. Keep your eye on the big picture and it can be fun.

why do people on here and espn act like we finish dead last. with right coach and qb we could be right back in playoff next yr. we need find coach to take us to next level playoff. dolphins need be real on what they need. this is must next yr... 1 OG Starter, CB, starter add run stopping dt, DE and qb in draft or free agent. let all qb go except qb from wsu

And why do you think we can just easily get the right coach and QB.

We won't, and in 3 more years we'll be right in this same spot.

You make a lot of sense. Tunsil keeper and Sitton might not be around when we actually need him.

Only thing, I have not really disagreement with but concern is QB. If Bridgewater is good enough he's what 26 why see him as a stopgap ? Bring him in and develop him with the team and hopefully if he isn't killed the first year we may have our guy. Or at least someone capable of leading or guiding a new guy if that achievement is actually realized. I hear all this talk about ya we get our QB in a future draft when we are crappy and have THE right pick, as if thats an automatic. It ain't and maybe if Bridgewater is accessible is a gift that should be taken advantage of. Foles too but Foles is 30 and I'm in the younger be around longer category...
Now if Bridgewater is not gifted enough and is on that stopgap level of quality, what you say makes sense. But theres that old saying, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth "....if he does have that quality

You make a lot of sense. Tunsil keeper and Sitton might not be around when we actually need him.

Only thing, I have not really disagreement with but concern is QB. If Bridgewater is good enough he's what 26 why see him as a stopgap ? Bring him in and develop him with the team and hopefully if he isn't killed the first year we may have our guy. Or at least someone capable of leading or guiding a new guy if that achievement is actually realized. I hear all this talk about ya we get our QB in a future draft when we are crappy and have THE right pick, as if thats an automatic. It ain't and maybe if Bridgewater is accessible is a gift that should be taken advantage of. Foles too but Foles is 30 and I'm in the younger be around longer category...
Now if Bridgewater is not gifted enough and is on that stopgap level of quality, what you say makes sense. But theres that old saying, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth "....if he does have that quality
I liked Bridgewater coming out of college, but he had a long and hard road because of injuries. I'm no longer convinced he is good enough. Foles never struck me as good enough. I don't see Bridgewater as being the answer. It's not the age that is scaring me off as much as the time gone by without the chance to develop. Bridgewater was never the finished article, and always had footwork/accuracy issues he needed to hone. A new coach is going to want a QB who will grow and blossom into his linchpin. I don't have faith that Bridgewater can be that, even if he never has another injury. Just my $0.02 on his situation.

I liked Bridgewater coming out of college, but he had a long and hard road because of injuries. I'm no longer convinced he is good enough. Foles never struck me as good enough. I don't see Bridgewater as being the answer. It's not the age that is scaring me off as much as the time gone by without the chance to develop. Bridgewater was never the finished article, and always had footwork/accuracy issues he needed to hone. A new coach is going to want a QB who will grow and blossom into his linchpin. I don't have faith that Bridgewater can be that, even if he never has another injury. Just my $0.02 on his situation.

Dig..Find your opinion interesting and if you are correct in your judgement of Bridgewater of not meeting the quality level as sufficient I have to say I agree with you. I don't know a hell of a lot and have not seem much of him. Just usual reports in which though some conflicting most see him worth the risk. Now I say to myself hmmm what do we have to move on with Luke Falk or a free agent QB in which Bridgewater and Foles seem to be at the top from the overall consensus.

At a minimum would not be surprised by our new coach spending some thought on this possibility. Cause again it maybe a bit asking to much for all the things needed to fall into place to get that QB we dream about.. Be nice if Falk turned into a huge surprise...

Digital, I'm going to tell you why Armando hasn't had anything real, interesting, or substantive to say lately: Mike Tannenbaum fell out of favor.

I think we can safely confirm our running forums theory that Mike Tannenbaum was Armando's big inside team source.

Completely agree. But, most coaches are not going to take the risk of tanking their first year, which is what this approach embraces.
Nobody tanks on purpose, except for a team or two, like the famous Colts' Suck for Luck. You get rid of more expensive, veteran players and go with younger ones and naturally that often means you're not as talented and you're going to lose more.

But not here. Like post #2 well said, our talent lies with the younger players. Get rid of the veterans and we don't actually lose that much. Provided, as hoops said, we find a QB, our record probably won't even suffer.

If we are forced to go with an Osweiller/Sanchez/McCown kind of guy, on the other hand, then we will lose a lot. But that'll only happen if we can't draft the right QB.

Back
Top Bottom