Miami Dolphins vs AFC Elite teams | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins vs AFC Elite teams

Watson is Marino now? Dan played 17 seasons. Get back to me in 12 years if that’s the comparison you want to make.
Watson is Marino in the context you're placing him in because Dan was THEEE ELITE QB...who didn't win anything. Not winning anything doesn't take away from the fact that you very well may be elite.

How quickly people forget Houston was up 24-0 on the eventual Super Bowl champs last year until the defense threw up all over themselves and promptly gave up 51 points in 3 quarters.
No forgetting at all. We know football is a team sport so you need all three phases of the team to win. Marino never had a run game. Watson in that game? Defense as you say.

Watson is Marino in the context you're placing him in because Dan was THEEE ELITE QB...who didn't win anything. Not winning anything doesn't take away from the fact that you very well may be elite.
Don’t agree. Watson hasn’t been in the league long enough to compare to him Marino.

That’s also your opinion. Be critical of mine all you want, it doesn’t make it incorrect.

No forgetting at all. We know football is a team sport so you need all three phases of the team to win. Marino never had a run game. Watson in that game? Defense as you say.
You can't say that football is a team sport and then put the team's record on Watson as some indicator of his ability. That's hypocritical at best.

Marino won an AFC championship, got to two others, and rewrote the record books. Tarkenton and Kelly had multiple conference championships (and Tarkenton had all the records before Marino). Fouts is the only one on that list to have "not won anything." Take Fouts off the list if you want, but there's no question the other three were elite and have won more than Watson has (as of now).
Watson has been in the league 4 years ('17, '18, '19, & '20)...

Out of those four years, his team has won his division twice ('18 & '19)...

There's no way he should be compared to HOFers. At the same time, there's no way he should be compared to the best in the league right now.

I didn’t say anything about championships. At least get to a title game a few times.
In the case of Watson, I always thought O'Brien was a bad coach.

I do think he's a quarterback who lifts the talent around him.

Buy, yes winning has to be a factor.

and Dilfer, Rypien, Jim McMahon and Doug Williams all are superbowl champions..
with our defensive showing in week 17, i have NO confindence that we could beat any playoff team.
especially in the playoffs, defense and being able to run the ball Wins
as much as i loved Shula, the reason Marino never won a title is because he never had a defense (and i blame shula's loyalty to
tom olivadotti) and he never had a running game
Shula was too loyal, at times, to his coaching staff. Keeping Olivadotti (sp) was a huge setback.

Your list of quarterbacks shows that winning is about team. Obviously, the great quarterbacks can lift the talent around them.

If a QB throws up 70% completion, 4800 yards, 37 TDs...and his team has the 3rd draft pick (which they gave away), the QB is NOT the problem lol. Y'all keep using a team stat to define his level of play..."winning has to be a factor"...only a very small portion of it, especially when the team overall is THAT bad, and Houston was a dumpster fire this year.

In the case of Watson, I always thought O'Brien was a bad coach.

I do think he's a quarterback who lifts the talent around him.

Buy, yes winning has to be a factor.
I’d say he’s very good. I don’t see him as elite right now. I’d love him on the Dolphins but certainly not by giving up all the picks it may require.

You can't say that football is a team sport and then put the team's record on Watson as some indicator of his ability. That's hypocritical at best.
Perhaps. Eventually the excuses have to run dry though. Is it his fault they went 4-12 this year? No. Was it all his doing that they were 21-10 in the last two years he played? No.

I don’t think he’s been doing it long enough to be considered elite. Same for Josh Allen. Can they get there? Sure thing.

Perhaps. Eventually the excuses have to run dry though. Is it his fault they went 4-12 this year? No. Was it all his doing that they were 21-10 in the last two years he played? No.

I don’t think he’s been doing it long enough to be considered elite. Same for Josh Allen. Can they get there? Sure thing.
Eventually? Like you said, he was 21-10 the last 2 years. This year he just so happened to have an absolutely astoundingly bad defense. I mean, look at the last game of the season. He essentially wins them the game and their defense gives up a score to Tannehill before you could blink with almost no time on the clock. Such is life.

I’d say he’s very good. I don’t see him as elite right now. I’d love him on the Dolphins but certainly not by giving up all the picks it may require.
Agree. Depends on the compensation. I do have a gard time coming up with five quarterbacks I'd rather have, especially considering Watson's age.

Also have to factor in the value of that #3 overall pick. Miami has the chance to turn that into more high picks.

Might be able to get most of it.

Not sure there's a dominant pass rusher in this draft. That may have to wait, or you roll the dice on someone like Rousseau maybe at #18.

Or, maybe FA. Ogbah turned out well and didn't cost $100mm. Downside? Unlikely. Nonetheless, Miami will get FAs. Just don't know who yet. Even if not a pass rusher, some holes will be filled in FA

Agree. Depends on the compensation. I do have a gard time coming up with five quarterbacks I'd rather have, especially considering Watson's age.

Also have to factor in the value of that #3 overall pick. Miami has the chance to turn that into more high picks.
I’d despise giving up 4 picks for him.

Back
Top Bottom