Miami has a Josh Allen Problem | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami has a Josh Allen Problem

The Dolphins need an OL that can give whoever their QB is more than 2 seconds to throw, at least occasionally.

We'll never know what we have in any QB and how far the Dolphins can go until that happens.

When I see Mahomes, Jackson, and Allen sitting back there for 5, 6, or 7 seconds I'm so envious.

In the early 1990's, Marino was talking to Harvey Greene about the Bills and said "Look at their roster. Look at our roster." His frustration was apparent. Miami had the better QB but an overall weaker roster. And they were ousted from the playoffs year after year (by the Bills in 1990, 1992, and 1995). Fast forward to now. Buffalo has the better QB. Miami (on paper at least) has the better roster. Both teams are getting ousted from the playoffs, but the Bills are still beating us on the way and are a better team.

If Josh Allen keeps taking beatings like he does running the ball the problem will fix itself.
He needs to change his approach or he's going to hit a wall like Cam Newton did.
Dorsey tried to protect Allen by making him pass more and Brady took the leash off him while also running the ball more.

Yes, running QB's who get hit don't usually last long in the NFL.

Yes, running QB's who get hit don't usually last long in the NFL.

He doesn’t really take that many hits though. He runs a ton but no-one makes him pay. Like none of his running hits are any worse than a sack in the pocket.

Last season was Allen’s 6th in the NFL and had 40-some total TD’s.

By Cam’s 6th year in the NFL he was already toast and had about half of Allen’s TD’s.

I'm pretty sure Buffalo Bills fans don't take any more consolation in dominating us than making the big dance

He doesn’t really take that many hits though. He runs a ton but no-one makes him pay. Like none of his running hits are any worse than a sack in the pocket.

Last season was Allen’s 6th in the NFL and had 40-some total TD’s.

By Cam’s 6th year in the NFL he was already toast and had about half of Allen’s TD’s.

Why defensive players don't take cheap shots on all QBs who extend plays is beyond me.

There is no defense for a passing play where a (good) in-structure QB can also take off and run at will. This is literally how the Buffalo offense works. Josh Allen puts up a 92 passer rating all season and in the Playoffs when they need a drive, it's Josh Allen dropping back and running for 15-yds at a clip.

There must be a deterrent IMHO, even if it's seen as "cheap." The OC/QB must be made to believe that it's fundamentally dangerous for QBs to run.

I think what Gregg Williams and the Saints did was wrong because they aggressively targeted certain players and made attempts to injure them (not always QBs either). What I'm advocating is a certain type of "if you do X, we are going to tackle you as hard as we can" attitude that I think is far and away worth a couple 15-yd personal fouls early in the game to set the tone.

Reactions: BSQ
If Josh Allen keeps taking beatings like he does running the ball the problem will fix itself.
He needs to change his approach or he's going to hit a wall like Cam Newton did.
Dorsey tried to protect Allen by making him pass more and Brady took the leash off him while also running the ball more.
Maybe. Eventually. I seem to hear this every off season though and come the season he just whips us a couple more times. Hope he hits that proverbial wall soon.

The thing that stuck out to me when watching the AFC Championship game was just how good the tackling of the back 7 for both the Ravens and the Chiefs was,
I thought the same thing. Everything was closed down in a flash. Many times especially in the second half it looked like somebody could turn the corner but then a defender would fly into the screen and make a decisive tackle.

That's the reason I don't pay much attention to schemes with the Dolphins. The defensive players simply aren't good enough. Following the Canes is the ideal reference point. The defenders were great for 20 years, until they weren't. Once the talent level fell off it hasn't mattered a lick who the coordinator is.

The Amoeba covers up for some stuff but bottom line we need superior personnel evaluation.

Maybe. Eventually. I seem to hear this every off season though and come the season he just whips us a couple more times. Hope he hits that proverbial wall soon.

Yup. There is something different about JA. Yes, he is smart enough to know how to take hits, but there is something in his genes that seems to protect him from injury. Just as some players are injury-prone, it isn't unreasonable to think some players are injury-resistant.

I didn’t read every post but one thing we can do is do better on offense when we play Buffalo......run the ball better and get first downs and keep our defense off the field.

Yup. 14-24ppg won't get it. When ANY team is playing a high-scoring O, can't rely on the D to win it by themselves.

The Dolphins have more than just a Josh Allen problem during the Josh Allen era. They have a Buffalo Bills problem.

The Dolphins have scored only 20 points per game against Buffalo during that period, while surrendering 33 per game. They've been outscored by nearly two touchdowns on average against Buffalo during the Allen era.

I agree with this, although Long and Elliott were good in that regard. Most of the back seven was not.

The number of missed tackles for Miami down the stretch was really hard to watch. I know injuries were a factor, but that play in Baltimore stands out and maybe epitomizes why the Dolphins didn't go farther.

The Dolphins score on their first possession, get the Ravens in a 3rd and 16, and Jackson runs for the first down with Miami defenders missing three tackles on the play.
That wasn’t a Jackson run. It was a screen pass, which all manly Miami fans know should never be called.

Back
Top Bottom