Miami Keeping Joe Philbin Is Smart | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Keeping Joe Philbin Is Smart

SOS is a steadfast homer. It's odd though, I've seen him jump off the Philbin wagon at least twice this year, and in one instance he reversed course on Philbin on the same day.

If Philbin were fired, he would probably be rightly blasting Philbin, but since he was retained the true homer in him forces an illogical defense mechanism to defend Philbin at all costs

SoS...... Now the players are complaining about Philbin. Please tell me you don't really think it's a good idea to keep him. That you're just kidding around with everyone.

SOS is a steadfast homer. It's odd though, I've seen him jump off the Philbin wagon at least twice this year, and in one instance he reversed course ok Philbin on the same day.

If Philbin were fired, he would probably be rightly blasting Philbin, but since he was retained the true homer and jim forces an illogical defense mechanism to defend Philbin at all costs

Thing is people have misunderstood my support of keeping the staff together (Hickey, Lazor, AND Philbin) for an irrational individual support of Philbin. People are angry and need a scapegoat; here I am.

Thing is people have misunderstood my support of keeping the staff together (Hickey, Lazor, AND Philbin) for an irrational individual support of Philbin. People are angry and need a scapegoat; here I am.

I agree with you. It is not about supporting Philbin.

Ross made the best decision for the organization, and it is an obvious decision if you analyze the overall picture. If Ross had fired Philbin, there would be six teams competing for the available coaches. There is a very limited amount of coaches that have a high chance of being better than Philbin. For once, Ross was a realist. He has a bad reputation after the Harbaugh debacle. Chances are every other vacancy is filled by better candidates. What is the chance that the 6th best candidate is measurably better than Philbin. Not high in my opinion.

When you consider the potential impact to Tannehill's development of switching coaches, the opportunity cost is too high given the chnce of landing a better candidate.

Ross made the best decision for the organization, and it is an obvious decision if you analyze the overall picture. If Ross had fired Philbin, there would be six teams competing for the available coaches. There is a very limited amount of coaches that have a high chance of being better than Philbin. For once, Ross was a realist. He has a bad reputation after the Harbaugh debacle. Chances are every other vacancy is filled by better candidates. What is the chance that the 6th best candidate is measurably better than Philbin. Not high in my opinion.

When you consider the potential impact to Tannehill's development of switching coaches, the opportunity cost is too high given the chnce of landing a better candidate.

You are telling me that the Dolphins would only be able to land the 6th best candidate? I have no idea where you are coming from with that. Miami is a highly coveted spot for a variety of reasons, including no income tax, weather/lifestyle, owner with deep pockets, and a solid team with a young good QB. If the Miami job were available, it would be one of the most sought after jobs outside of SF.

Oakland, Jets and Bears are all worse jobs.

In any case, just about any candidate would be an improvement over Philbin.

You are telling me that the Dolphins would only be able to land the 6th best candidate? I have no idea where you are coming from with that. Miami is a highly coveted spot for a variety of reasons, including no income tax, weather/lifestyle, owner with deep pockets, and a solid team with a young good QB. If the Miami job were available, it would be one of the most sought after jobs outside of SF.

Don't you think most of the top candidates would want to come in with their own coaching staff? Would you be ok with cleaning the slate? Or do you believe a top candidate would be willing to work with all the other pieces already in place?

Don't you think most of the top candidates would want to come in with their own coaching staff? Would you be ok with cleaning the slate? Or do you believe a top candidate would be willing to work with all the other pieces already in place?

I wouldn't demand that the new coach retain the current staff, but I could see the dolt Ross making such a demand. However, if they brought in a defensive guy I could see them keeping Lazor and Benton on board. Those are the only coaches on staff worth a damn anyway.

giphy-14.gif

I wouldn't demand that the new coach retain the current staff, but I could see the dolt Ross making such a demand. However, if they brought in a defensive guy I could see them keeping Lazor and Benton on board. Those are the only coaches on staff worth a damn anyway.
True about Ross and his demands. That's what I feel will defer the top candidates to look elsewhere.

The Bears will always be a prime destination for historical reasons if for no other. The Jets have the foundation for a good defense and a great cap situation. Further, it is New York. As much as I love the Dolphins, Miami does not have that draw. You have a point with the Raiders. Ok, the fifth best coach maybe. I imagine candidates 5 through 9 pass on working for Ross, so I really should have mentioned the 10th best coach available,

I am not happy with Philbin's tenure, but your statement is ludicrous.

Couldn't agree more, everyone's a damned expert sitting in their couch watching from afar...but seriously I've seeing this team progress most importantly, Tannehill progress, and I think with some better injury luck and savvy gm moves this offseason we are setup for true contention. Philbin at least deserves the last year of his contract to put it all together.

"Progress" is usually defined as something that become increasingly better over time. While Tannehill has progressed (and by extension the offense also) nothing else on the team has improved. Ultimately, the HC is responsible for wins and losses and he performance of the whole team. Under his watch the defense has regressed and the wins and losses haven't improved.

7-9 to 8-8 to 8-8 is NOT progress, it's stagnation.

The Bears will always be a prime destination for historical reasons if for no other. The Jets have the foundation for a good defense and a great cap situation. Further, it is New York. As much as I love the Dolphins, Miami does not have that draw. You have a point with the Raiders. Ok, the fifth best coach maybe. I imagine candidates 5 through 9 pass on working for Ross, so I really should have mentioned the 10th best coach available,

I am not happy with Philbin's tenure, but your statement is ludicrous.

You are delusional man, history means jack to a candidate who needs to win in 2 years or get tossed. The Bears are an awful situation, hamstring by a disastrous contract for a **** QB and a horrid defense. The Jets are an equally awful situation for a coaching candidate with a roster mostly bereft of talent and the worst QB situation in the league.

There is no doubt in my mind that if the Miami job were available, it would be the second most attractive spot for most candidates. Only the SF job would be more attractive.

Back
Top Bottom