Miami Keeping Joe Philbin Is Smart | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Keeping Joe Philbin Is Smart

Let me elaborate, because I don't want to appear to be mean. However, any statement that begins "The Dolphins have not achieved whatever in the last X years and therefore Philbin ______" is bad logic no matter how you fill in the blank. We haven't even reached football analysis, this is just basic logic. Therefore, all these fan fears that we are perpetually going to be an 8-8 team because we have some pirate gold from Isla de Muerte are just fan fears.

Looking at the football side, how many of us are aware of the direct correlation between schedule strength and win/loss record? Few, I bet, because most have chosen to gloss over this no matter how often it is stated. Since schedule strength tends to the mean, we will likely have an easier schedule and more wins next year. I haven't seen the numbers, but I bet Pythagorean wins say the same thing (maybe not, let's wait until after Sunday).

Another important fact, how many of us are aware of the studies that show that offense is more consistent from year to year than defense? I'd bet almost none. But it's true. And it's precisely on offense where we've taken strides. The zone-blocking scheme has been a wonderful fit. The passing game has taken a big step forward. We have the foundation of a very solid line. And what's more, plenty of young talent to go around. What this means is that it's easier and faster to go from bad to good on defense than on offense. Now that we have the offense, do you all really think it makes sense to blow up the system and "see what happens"? Because Marino didn't win a Super Bowl and Philbin took some timeouts which in the big picture mean little?

No matter what anyone says, I can't be convinced the fire Philbin knee-jerk movement is just knee-jerk.

I'm not being a smartass, but for those who think Philbin is an incompetent coach, how do you feel the talent on the 2014 Dolphins team ranks when compared to the rest of the NFL? Where do you think it ranks from 1-32? For the record I'm on the fence regarding him and his staff, though I think Lazor was good for the most part this year. I also realize the Philbin has a say in what players are on his 53, and therefore is complicit if there is a talent deficiency.

Thanks for making my point...Lewis has never won a post season game in 5 tries even though 2 of those seasons ended in the same 11 wins that Bruce Arians sat at home in a tougher division. Not a single front office or fanbase (including the Bengal from what I read on their forums) would take Lewis over Arians.

And as to him winning with 2 mediocre qbs.... then certainly Philbin should have won the last 2 seasons with a better one! Oh wait... if he was a better field coach he would have!

And you have proven my point. If, like Marvin Lewis, Bruce Ariens doesn't have any playoff victories to go by then how do people know he's a good coach at this moment?

Marvin Lewis is keeping that team relevant for a decade plus, and giving them decent shots at championships, despite only having average inconsistent QB play. He went 8-0 at home last season for Gods sake. Only Dolphin fans would snub their noses at that.

Keeping your team "bought in" year after year with Dalton at QB can't be an easy task, and for my money the fact that he hasn't lost the locker room in a decade plus with mediocre QB play might be one of the most impressive coaching achievements of all time. Most people are in agreement that the team has elite talent outside of the QB, well who in the fug do you think is responsible for that?!?

I'm kind of torn now, I'd love to root for the Bengals so that Lewis gets a little bit of the credit he deserves, but I also love rooting against choke artists like the Andy Dalton's and Melt Ryan's of the league. Always have.

Here is why Ross is an Idiot. Why make that declaration 2 games before the season ends? Now his hands are tied. What if someone better became available? Philbin is such a safe pick. No balls, read it off an Index card.........whatever.Hopefully we can get a good enough Team that we win despite him and his timeouts. Because he does not inspire lesser players to play better.

While I haven't liked Joe's coaching I do see progress! And firing Joe may kill any progress made regarding Tannehill! And I am no big fan of Harbaugh anymore! And Rex is more of a defensive coach! Not a head coach! So the best move probably is to keep what you have and keep building on it!

L O ****ing L! Anyone still think keeping Philbin is smart after this UTTERLY PITIFUL DISGRACE?! Hearing the J E T S chant in week 17 two years in a row. What a joke!

this thread title is going to give me laughs for many months to come

Philbin is lost out there as a HC... he needs to go NOW!

People see progress? Are you kidding me? This season ended almost as badly as the last. I am almost sure that this decision was only made after Stephen Ross reached out to and was shut down by Harbaugh. And that's no excuse. You don't settle for a coach who has proven that he is nothing more than bottom of the pack.

this thread title is going to give me laughs for many months to come

Philbin is lost out there as a HC... he needs to go NOW!

The guy is being out coached at home in the season finale by a coach who is going to be canned this week.

SoS...... Still think it's smart to keep Philbin? This game against the Jets is a disgrace.

Back
Top Bottom