Miami needs to go all out and get Eric Berry! Plain and Simple | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami needs to go all out and get Eric Berry! Plain and Simple

We already have one of the highest paid DT's in the league, now you want to add a player aiming to be the highest paid safety? :bobdole:

Scheme change and draft dedication would make a much bigger difference than trying to consistently add high-priced talent.

Berry said he will sit out the season if KC tries that. He wants to be paid as the best at his position, not the average of.

He would effectively be at the top of his position, with a 20% increase, if he got franchised again.

lol if he sits out on that.

I would rather give the big extension to our own safety. He's earned it, he's our guy, and it would be a step towards us keeping and rewarding our own players rather then always chasing other teams cast-aways.

[video=youtube;jTRgoRxiQBw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTRgoRxiQBw[/video]

I'm praying this happens. I realize we'll have like $25 million tied up in the safety position which is absurd, but I think it will be worth it. Elite players like Berry shouldn't be available, much like Suh. You go get those guys at all cost.

Yeah... except I would lose that Suh contract in a heartbeat if allowed a do-over. There is literally no position in the NFL where paying TWICE AS MUCH as the 2nd best player at the same position is a good play. I'll pass on Berry if it means making him the highest paid safety in the NFL considering we already have the 4th/5th highest paid on our roster.

That'd be just fine with me.

AFTER we snag a couple guards, LBs, a DE, a DT, and maybe a 3rd LB or another CB.

The same needs the last 15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 AM ----------

I'm praying this happens. I realize we'll have like $25 million tied up in the safety position which is absurd, but I think it will be worth it. Elite players like Berry shouldn't be available, much like Suh. You go get those guys at all cost.

Lol I like the attitude but man that Sug contract is depressing to look at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i want baccari Rambo out the building more than anyone but this makes no sense

Hoops, obviously you see the benefit in having TWO elite play makers at the S position. Both can play up or down allowing for that scheme flexibility DC's love. Disguising coverage, 8 in the box with either one. Imagine the platform it qould give our CBs as well?

Hoops, obviously you see the benefit in having TWO elite play makers at the S position. Both can play up or down allowing for that scheme flexibility DC's love. Disguising coverage, 8 in the box with either one. Imagine the platform it qould give our CBs as well?

R. Jones is not a FS (then again neither is Quddus). Hopefully Burke knows that better than Joseph.

I really like Quddus's movement skills,. I think he would be a good slot corner, especially in run support. McCain was decent in coverage last year, just O.K. but he was bad in run support. Bottom of the league in run support according to PFF.

I totally agree about scheme but that just makes my point; having elite safeties just gives us all the more opportunity to challenge our front 7 with hybrid sets and complicated blitz packages. We just need a couple of a smart LB's.

What was the consensus on trading for Mychal Kendricks? I missed that thread.

Zach Cunningham is football smart and book smart. I think he had like a 3.7 or something.

We need four smart, very smart LB's with good instincts because we can't count on these guys staying healthy.

I really like Quddus's movement skills,. I think he would be a good slot corner, especially in run support. McCain was decent in coverage last year, just O.K. but he was bad in run support. Bottom of the league in run support according to PFF.

I totally agree about scheme but that just makes my point; having elite safeties just gives us all the more opportunity to challenge our front 7 with hybrid sets and complicated blitz packages. We just need a couple of a smart LB's.

What was the consensus on trading for Mychal Kendricks? I missed that thread.

Zach Cunningham is football smart and book smart. I think he had like a 3.7 or something.

We need four smart, very smart LB's with good instincts because we can't count on these guys staying healthy.

SS Quddus is competent at times vs TEs and as an 8th man in the box vs the run (but not recommended as it puts Jones as a single-high in coverage) but is a complete mismatch for any true slot receiver.

There is only so much you can do out of our 4-3 Over. "Hybrid" and "complicated" are not words any where near associated with it, either. Our scheme is as straight-forward as one can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm...LB x 2...DE that can pass-rush...Slot Corner...Guard x 2 (If/when Albert is officially traded/released). When Jones come back, Safety will not be close not be a weakness, I would love to have Berry next to Jones back there. but that is a luxury we can not afford with our holes.

he's a great player...Miami likes the interchangeable safeties so in that regard I can see it although his game is more strong than free...that said Miami has $5 mil in quddus for 2017 and you preferably pair a berry with a real rangy athletic type...that's not something we have in Miami...reshads a hell of a player but deep middle range and instincts aren't really part of what he is...also I don't know if it's still the case but prior to cancer berry was a very suspect red zone especially cover safety maybe he cleaned that up since he came back...entire game seems to have picked up a level...maybe he's just more dedicated

Yes! This IS....."exactly," where you want to spend your money.

He is a consummate leader. Something we desperately,yes desperately need, especially considering our inexperienced and unimpressive DC.

He is arguably the singular best free agent available, and there is a good chance that he will indeed be available considering how pissed off he was last year and this year has threatened not to play if franchised again. They may try to tag and trade him but the Chiefs are in some serious cap hell if they get stuck with paying him over 13 mil this year. Even if they cut Foles and Jamaal Charles, they have ten other free agents and a roster to fill and a rookie pool. KC has serious cap problems. Those are the only two guys who are even feasible to cut. Other guys getting paid would result in crushing amounts of dead cap.

By adding Berry you can then tender Michael Thomas and use him as trade bait in the late rounds or to recover the 2018 7th.

Acquiring Berry may also allow you to let Quddus compete at slot corner where he would be enormously better in run support than McCain.

Secondary depth is improved.

Elite character,strong work ethic,great locker room, high IQ,etc. Yes! This is exactly the kind of player to pay big money to. Eric Berry is the exact opposite of a Mike Wallace type guy. A player we gave 12 mil a year to.

Even if they tagged him I would still give up a mid-round pick for him. This is exactly the kind of player that will improve a team's record and show up big in the playoffs.

Huge Value!

You do realize that it wouldn't mean a mid-round pick, right?

Franchise tagged players = two first-round draft picks as compensation

You do realize that it wouldn't mean a mid-round pick, right?

Franchise tagged players = two first-round draft picks as compensation

You are wrong. The rules have never been enforced in the history of the NFL. Tagging and trading is supposed to be illegal but it has been done again and again. The league would have to prove intent beyond a doubt, and it just doesn't happen.

If you are suggesting that I meant we should make Berry an offer and give up the league mandated compensation, that just isn't wasn't I posted. That would be ludicrous.

I didn't say that in my post and you have no right to insinuate that I did.

I would rather give the big extension to our own safety. He's earned it, he's our guy, and it would be a step towards us keeping and rewarding our own players rather then always chasing other teams cast-aways.

Eric Berry is a far superior player to Jones. Sign Berry and let Jones walk.

Back
Top Bottom