Miami's Main Competition for #1 Overall Pick | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami's Main Competition for #1 Overall Pick

Jags are too good to be in the conversation, even with Minschew.

Darnold and Gase will want to prove to everyone they don’t suck, which will mean wins on the back half of the season. I think the Giants start to win at year’s end too to try to get momentum behind their young core.

Redskins and Bengals are wildcards. Both could easily slide into tanking mode. Haskins likely starts for the Skins later this year and we have to hope he isn’t horrendous. If Dalton gets hurt Bengals are immediate threats for the tank and our biggest adversary.

Wow I can’t believe there is actual competition here but as much as we are rooting against the Steelers and Texans we need to be rooting FOR these teams.

If we don't get the first overall pick the team that does may trade the pick to a QB hungry team for a Kings ransomed.Screwing us in the process.

Considering Miami's draft capital, there is no team that could outbid the Dolphins for #1 overall. Unless its the Jets sitting at #1, Miami will deal for #1 overall pick if the team is willing to trade down.

I didn't read through all 3 pages of the thread so far, so it's possible someone else mentioned this .. BUT, of the 8 other teams that are 0-2 right now, the Dolphins play half of them. PITT, CINN, NYG, and NYJ.

Assuming the Dolphins lose to all 4 of those teams (and NYJ twice), that more than likely narrows it down to MIA, JAX, WASH, DEN and CAR.

JAX nearly won last week with a 2 pt attempt. Their defense is good enough that they should win a few games.
DEN also came within a horrible roughing penalty away from beating CHI. Like JAX, their defense is good enough, along with their vet QB, to win a few games.

To me, WASH and CAR would seem to be the most viable candidates to challenge MIA for the top pick.

Something seems to be wrong with Cam Newton and if that drags on or if he misses extended time, they may lose many games. Though they do have a pretty decent defense.
WASH just drafted what they hope to be their franchise QB so I'm not sure how motivated they are lose all their games.

I told ya before the season started don’t finish below cincinatti. Nothing’s changed.

The jets will get darnold back. That will help them. Poor leveon bell in the meantime though.

We could use a Washington win at home next Monday night. But we really need to lose that home off the bye week contest vs them. If you even want to call it that.

I didn't read through all 3 pages of the thread so far, so it's possible someone else mentioned this .. BUT, of the 8 other teams that are 0-2 right now, the Dolphins play half of them. PITT, CINN, NYG, and NYJ.

Assuming the Dolphins lose to all 4 of those teams (and NYJ twice), that more than likely narrows it down to MIA, JAX, WASH, DEN and CAR.

JAX nearly won last week with a 2 pt attempt. Their defense is good enough that they should win a few games.
DEN also came within a horrible roughing penalty away from beating CHI. Like JAX, their defense is good enough, along with their vet QB, to win a few games.

To me, WASH and CAR would seem to be the most viable candidates to challenge MIA for the top pick.

Something seems to be wrong with Cam Newton and if that drags on or if he misses extended time, they may lose many games. Though they do have a pretty decent defense.
WASH just drafted what they hope to be their franchise QB so I'm not sure how motivated they are lose all their games.
I'm not sure the Panthers can get the first pick. they still have enough talent around the team to pull of a few wins. Cam has that bad shoulder that required surgery it may be the end of him. Kyle Allen has shown promos though so we will see.

The two I have my eye on are was/Cindy. Bad franchises from the top down that have created issues that trickle down to the players

We own Pittsburgh's 1st rounder...they can tank...please.

Arizona is not a threat. They've been in both games and already have a tie (so they can't go 5-11).

Cincy is a threat. We play them for what could be the 1st pick.

Jags also a threat. You would have to think if they only have one or two wins in week 11 when Foles is eligible to come back they may just keep him on IR and play out the season for the highest pick possible.

Washington and the Giants may split but any tie we end up in could be bad news due to SOS.

Tampa Bay is not a threat...especially with Brees hurt when they face NO. They could win 5 or 6 this year. Arians is a good coach.

Jets are a threat but I think Gase will want his revenge...like he did last year against Denver when he was coaching us. I think they sweep us.
Dalton will Be motivated against Us - he will not want to lose to us for fear they will select his replacement

Cinci dline should destroy our Oline and Cinci should be able to run straight at us

Jets will win 4-5+ once Darnold returns. Their defense is too good, the DC is too good, and having a RB like Bell will win them those types of defensive battles.

Cincinnati is our main competition if Dalton gets hurt/shut down at some point. But if they stay healthy they're better than us. As is Washington.

We are historically bad. Our offense is going to struggle to get first downs much less get into the endzone. I don't see a team in the NFL that isn't two touchdowns better than this football team tbh.

Darnold should be back by the time they play the Dolphins. They don't play them until November 3rd.
The turnover machine should be able to score 14 to 17 pts on us if Bell hasn’t been run into a wall by then - because they will wear him out eventually

i don’t think any team will have any issues beating up on the fins except the redskins. they are just as bad. i think the bungles mixon will run through the swiss cheese d that put out on the field so will barkley. redskins are the only team i see that the fins could possibly beat.

I have absolutely no doubt we get the #1 pick, because even if we somehow managed to tie another team with an 0-16 record, our point differentials are already so insane, we'd get the edge for the first pick.

That said, if by some crazy circumstance we don't manage to secure the #1 pick by going 0-16 (which is what I expect us to do, unless we tie Cincinnati with a score of 0-0 when we play them), than I don't want us trading up for Tua. Save all the ammo and go after Lawrence in2021, because truthfully he's who I'd rather have of the two anyway. But if we have the first pick this year, we'd be crazy not to take Tua.

Miami may end up with the worst season in NFL history, securing the number one overall pick. But who are the other contenders. Here's a short list.....

New York Jets
Watching them on Monday night, the defense was pretty good. The offensive, Adam Gase's specialty, looked terrible. The offensive line is really a mess. Obviously, they were without Darnold. But this looks like a team that could be in the 2-4 win range.

Arizona Cardinals
The Cardinals played competitively against Baltimore and Kyler Murray has played well. That division is tough, though, with four games against Seattle and Los Angeles. Plus SF is off to a fast start. I could see 5-11.

New York Giants
They've already pulled Eli Manning. The Giants can run the ball so they could be in a lot of games. Tough division with Dallas and Philadelphia.

Cincinnati
This could actually be Miami's biggest contender. Wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals went 0-6 in their division.

Tampa Bay
Their talent level is better than some of these teams on the list, but I'm not sold on Winston at qb.

Others???

The Steelers could fall on their face. ;)

I have absolutely no doubt we get the #1 pick, because even if we somehow managed to tie another team with an 0-16 record, our point differentials are already so insane, we'd get the edge for the first pick.

That said, if by some crazy circumstance we don't manage to secure the #1 pick by going 0-16 (which is what I expect us to do, unless we tie Cincinnati with a score of 0-0 when we play them), than I don't want us trading up for Tua. Save all the ammo and go after Lawrence in2021, because truthfully he's who I'd rather have of the two anyway. But if we have the first pick this year, we'd be crazy not to take Tua.
Strength of schedule is the first tie breaker for draft position I believe

Strength of schedule is the first tie breaker for draft position I believe

According to a Newsweek article I found:

• Oakland Raiders—0.539
  • Denver Broncos—0.537
  • Jacksonville Jaguars—0.531
  • Houston Texans—0.527
  • Chicago Bears, Kansas City Chiefs—0.520
  • Atlanta Falcons, Indianapolis Colts—0.518
  • Tennessee Titans—0.514
  • Minnesota Vikings—0.512
  • San Francisco 49ers—0.510
  • Arizona Cardinals, Tampa Bay Buccaneers—0.508
  • Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers—0.504
  • Los Angeles Chargers, Carolina Panthers—0.502
  • Miami Dolphins—0.500
  • Pittsburgh Steelers, Detroit Lions, Baltimore Ravens—0.496
  • New Orleans Saints—0.488
  • Cleveland Browns—0.484
  • Buffalo Bills—0.480
  • Seattle Seahawks—0.479
  • Philadelphia Eagles—0.477
  • New England Patriots, Los Angeles Rams, New York Giants, New York Jets, Cincinnati Bengals—0.473
  • Washington Redskins—0.469

14 teams below our Dolphins, including 4 teams they're most likely to be competing with.

Back
Top Bottom