Mike Gesicki Vs Mike Evans......... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Gesicki Vs Mike Evans.........

All these creative formations and mismatches sound great, but we still gotta block it up front so Tannehill has time to throw it.

One thing is certain, Gase wants to be able to utilize tight ends in the receiving game more often. You could tell he was trying to force feed Julius Thomas the ball at times last year to open up a wrinkle for the offense, but it just didn’t happen.

But Gesicki is a damn good athlete, something we didn’t have at the TE position last year, and Gase will make sure he gets plenty of touches. Gase didn’t get him to block, he got him to score touchdowns and win red zone jump balls. Aside from Tannehill I think Gesicki will have the biggest say in whether our offense is potent or not in 2018. If we struck out on this pick heads will roll, but I have a good feeling about this kid.

We know he’s going to be a weapon on jump balls and the red zone. Split wide on one side with triplets on the other side. He will be a beast in that package.

But, will he relish contact? It’s 3rd and eight, he sits ten yards out between the hash marks. Can he get open and then stretch out and take the hit from the LB or SS? Let’s hope so. Getting yourself open, not having alligator arms, and absorbing the hit - Gronkowski can do it all day. Let’s hope Gesicki can too.

Compare against OJ Howard (Gesicki in parenthesis):
6'6 251 (6'6 247)

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.51 SEC (4.54)
  • BENCH PRESS: 22 REPS (22)
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 30.0 INCH (41.5)
  • BROAD JUMP: 121.0 INCH (129)
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 6.85 SEC (6.76)
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.16 SEC (4.1)
  • 60 YARD SHUTTLE: 11.46 SEC (11.33)
26 rec/ 432 yards/ 16.6 avg/ 6 tds

Compare against David Njoku (Gesicki in parenthesis):
6'4 246 (6'6 247)
  • 40 YARD DASH: 4.64 SEC (4.54)
  • BENCH PRESS: 21 REPS (22)
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 37.5 INCH (41.5)
  • BROAD JUMP: 133.0 INCH (129)
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 6.97 SEC (6.76)
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.34 SEC (4.1)
32 rec/ 386 yards/ 12.1 avg/ 4 tds

One thing is certain, Gase wants to be able to utilize tight ends in the receiving game more often. You could tell he was trying to force feed Julius Thomas the ball at times last year to open up a wrinkle for the offense, but it just didn’t happen.
And then he tried to force it to AJ Derby late in the year and that failed, too. Dude got pushed around by a cornerback.

i think gesicki's weakness is that he is such a long strider. lets be honest, the kid doesnt play at a 4.5. he doesnt do much after the catch like evans can. he is great at contested balls, and runs good routes, but his long stride hurts him in alot of situations.

dont get me wrong i love the pick. but these are things you have to consider when comparing them.

Smythe is going to be very good for us as well. with both of them the sky is the limit. the compliment each other so well

I've heard this before, but I think if the long strides were such a weakness, there's no way he'd be posting such amazing numbers in cone drills and shuttles. The agility is clearly there as well.
Thats a great point. i just dont see that when i watch him play

Compare against OJ Howard (Gesicki in parenthesis):
6'6 251 (6'6 247)

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.51 SEC (4.54)
  • BENCH PRESS: 22 REPS (22)
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 30.0 INCH (41.5)
  • BROAD JUMP: 121.0 INCH (129)
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 6.85 SEC (6.76)
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.16 SEC (4.1)
  • 60 YARD SHUTTLE: 11.46 SEC (11.33)
26 rec/ 432 yards/ 16.6 avg/ 6 tds

Compare against David Njoku (Gesicki in parenthesis):
6'4 246 (6'6 247)
  • 40 YARD DASH: 4.64 SEC (4.54)
  • BENCH PRESS: 21 REPS (22)
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 37.5 INCH (41.5)
  • BROAD JUMP: 133.0 INCH (129)
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 6.97 SEC (6.76)
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.34 SEC (4.1)
32 rec/ 386 yards/ 12.1 avg/ 4 tds

He beat both in most categories....Howard only edges him out slightly in the 40....Gesicki’s vertical is 11.5 inches higher than Howard....wow!

We know he’s going to be a weapon on jump balls and the red zone. Split wide on one side with triplets on the other side. He will be a beast in that package.

But, will he relish contact? It’s 3rd and eight, he sits ten yards out between the hash marks. Can he get open and then stretch out and take the hit from the LB or SS? Let’s hope so. Getting yourself open, not having alligator arms, and absorbing the hit - Gronkowski can do it all day. Let’s hope Gesicki can too.
Actualy Gesicki excelled at contested catches and does very well when there is contact. Contact when catching the ball is not one of his issues. Contact while blocking ... that may be.

But, I have a good feeling about this kid. He has good hands because he worked at it. He had a case of the dropsies his freshman year at Penn State. But, he worked hard at it and became a surehanded guy. I get the impression he will put that same work ethic into blocking once he gets the playbook and chemistry with Tannehill down.

On the long-strider thing, here's the deal. Yes, he looks less explosive because of it. But watch the ESPN triple-cam of him, Antonio Brown and McCaffrey. Even though you're watching Gesicki pull away from both, he _still_ looks slow ... because of those long strides. So, when you think he looks slow in pads, just realize that it is the long strides that are deceiving you. He is still pulling away from LB's. And, good luck for a DB to go up against the 6'6 Gesicki + long arms + a 41.5" vertical + skill at high pointing the ball. That throw is there all day. Third and goal from the 2 ... its there. Fourth and 18 at the end of the game ... it's there. As long as the OL gives Tannehill time to throw, Gesicki can climb the ladder and dictate down and distance.

Kind of a Scandinavian Brian Bosworth from Jersey Shore...

Well.I hope they use Smyth in the passing game early this year along with Gesicki. At the end of last year we finally started to use Fasano catching the ball, moved the chains and had sucess. Why it took so long for that to happen was a disappointment. Tannahill is going to need some saftey blankets to get rolling early this year to be sucessful. IMO. These tightends are probably our best opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom