Mike Gesicki Vs Mike Evans......... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Gesicki Vs Mike Evans.........

Ryan Tannehill oftentimes will have to just trust that Gesicki will come down with contested passes. Building that type of trust is going to be key. As mentioned before, he plays above the rim and can more likely out jump everyone on the field.

Let’s compare Gesicki to Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Evans.

Gesicki is 16 pounds heavier than Evans, and Evans barely beats Gesicki in the 40-yard dash with a 4.53-second run to Gesicki’s 4.54-second run. However, Gesicki puts up a 41-1/2” vertical jump to Evans’ 37” vertical. Also, Gesicki beats Evans in the 3-cone (6.76 seconds to Evans’ 7.08 seconds), in the 20-yard shuttle (4.10 seconds to Evans’ 4.26 seconds), and in the 60-yard shuttle (11.33 seconds to Evans’ 11.58 seconds). Gesicki tests as a much better athlete than Evans.

I can’t think of an NFL team that has had a poorer history of Tight Ends than the Miami Dolphins. One scrub after another. It’s strange that when you repeatedly get beat year after year by Gronk and the Patriots, that an organization would continually neglect this position, but maybe Gesicki will turn into a great one? Other than a few decent years from Mandich, McMichael and Keith Jackson, the Dolphins haven’t had nothing but runny poop at the position.

Athletically, the real comparison is Jimmy Graham. Gesicki is just a tad more athletic than Graham in every drill. I've thought for years that Graham was the guy that most of our Dolphins offenses have been missing. I'll be elated if Gesicki lives up to his athletic gifts like Graham has.

Indeed...I just found the comparison to Mike Evans interesting...as he is top paid receiver, and many seem obsessed with knocking Gesicki as not being a tradional tight end who blocks well....while I see him as a big, athletic, red zone and seam nightmare matchup for opponents that we badly need.

Indeed...I just found the comparison to Mike Evans interesting...as he is top paid receiver, and many seem obsessed with knocking Gesicki as not being a tradional tight end who blocks well....while I see him as a big, athletic, red zone and seam nightmare matchup for opponents that we badly need.
Great point. I would also argue that his bulk not only provides power, but makes it significantly easier to shield the reception from DB's who physically have difficulty getting around him to even challenge the catch. It would be similar in basketball to having Kobe Bryant box you out compared to having Shaq box you out. Kobe is one heck of a player, but it's simply harder to get around Shaq to even challenge the pass.

https://overthecap.com/position/tight-end/

Hmmm, it will be interesting to see if Gesicki becomes a top tier TE. Just looking aside of what it brings to an teams offense, the value is incredible. Would you take Mike evens at 16 mil a year or any of the top TE's at around 9-10 mil? Graham, Kelce, Gronk........... I'd take the TE!

Last edited:
Your post does bring up an interesting concept. What if we had a 4 WR formation with him out wide? That sounds like a CB/Safety nightmare with the right route tree.

I'm telling you, we have another Jimmy Graham on our hands. Isn't that what the Saints did with him when he was in New Orleans? I remember he played most of his snaps out wide.

I'm telling you, we have another Jimmy Graham on our hands. Isn't that what the Saints did with him when he was in New Orleans? I remember he played most of his snaps out wide.

Me and my best friend had a Nintendo day Saturday, working on his truck, drinking beer, playing rampage, talking football. we were talking draft, him a panthers fan, and was asking me about ours, Gesicki is the first one I mentioned, how he was supposed to be jimmy grahamish, but everyone was comlaining about his blocking, even though I think 90% of the time I don't think he was even in a 3 point stance (I don't know numbers, just know everything I ever saw with him was he was a WR), and that todays TE were really just bulkier WR that they want to call TE's so they can save money.

Going back to what you said Chuck, this was a huge deal with Graham playing most of his snaps out wide. he brought the % of the snaps he lined up out wide to league offices or what not because he felt his franchise tag should be that of a WR rather than a TE. I don't remember whatever came about that, but even though I guess he claimed to be a TE, whenever it was time for the money to come around he had no problems whatsoever saying that he was used as WR more than a TE and that's how he valued himself. but rightfully so

Me and my best friend had a Nintendo day Saturday, working on his truck, drinking beer, playing rampage, talking football. we were talking draft, him a panthers fan, and was asking me about ours, Gesicki is the first one I mentioned, how he was supposed to be jimmy grahamish, but everyone was comlaining about his blocking, even though I think 90% of the time I don't think he was even in a 3 point stance (I don't know numbers, just know everything I ever saw with him was he was a WR), and that todays TE were really just bulkier WR that they want to call TE's so they can save money.

Going back to what you said Chuck, this was a huge deal with Graham playing most of his snaps out wide. he brought the % of the snaps he lined up out wide to league offices or what not because he felt his franchise tag should be that of a WR rather than a TE. I don't remember whatever came about that, but even though I guess he claimed to be a TE, whenever it was time for the money to come around he had no problems whatsoever saying that he was used as WR more than a TE and that's how he valued himself. but rightfully so

I remember that. If I recall correctly, they eventually met him in the middle on a contract but then traded him like the next offseason.

https://overthecap.com/position/tight-end/

Hmmm, it will be interesting to see if Gesicki becomes a top tier TE. Just looking aside of what it brings to an teams offense, the value is incredible. Would you take Mike evens at 16 mil a year or any of the top TE's at around 9-10 mil? Graham, Kelce, Gronk........... I'd take the TE!
Fantastic point theOutback!

This is precisely why Jimmy Graham (my most similar Gesicki comparable) wanted to be classified as a Wide Receiver at New Orleans, so he could command a salary far in excess of the limited range given to TE's. And he makes a valid point ... he _is_ a WR and should command that kind of money. And if you look at his number of catches, his yards per catch, and the fact he was rarely asked to block, it was the correct comparison. But, he was not viewed as a WR, but rather a pass catching TE. So financially, it's better to have a star TE, as you correctly point out!

Unfortunately, with Jimmy Graham the result was tragic. He left the pass catching role in a pass-happy offense led by a Hall of Fame QB (Drew Brees) and a passing mastermind coach (Sean Payton) because of that very greed. He ended up going to a great team (Seattle) with a good QB (Russell Wilson) in a run-first offense where he was not targeted with nearly as many passes, did not generate nearly the stats, struggled to stay healthy in the cold weather, and was asked to block more. When he left New Orleans, he was talked about in the same breath as Gronkowski, despite Graham not being nearly the complete TE that Gronkowski is, simply because Graham was such a phenomenal mismatch as a receiver. Outside of that perfect New Orleans situation, he has struggled to flash even when he has been healthy. His career suffered mightily from moving to Seattle, despite it being a superior team.

Here in Miami, Gesicki looks to be in a perfect system for him, arriving at a perfect time, with a coach (Adam Gase) who features athletic seam threat TE's and runs the same routes Gesicki excelled at in college. He has a fearless and talented QB (Ryan Tannehill) who will stand in the pocket and take a shot to deliver Gesicki the ball. The OL was just overhauled to give that QB time to throw those deeper routes that suit Gesicki. This looks like an ideal situation for him to join. In essence, this situation is similar to the one Jimmy Graham entered at New Orleans. While the New Orleans personnel might have been better, Gesicki will be given first shot at filling the targets lost when Jarvis Landry left. If Gesicki wants it and puts his nose to the grindstone, the chessboard is set for him to be an impact rookie and make a run at AFC Offensive Rookie of the Year.

And like you said, locking him up long term is not going to cost us $16M a year.

I remember that. If I recall correctly, they eventually met him in the middle on a contract but then traded him like the next offseason.

you are correct on both fronts... per wiki .....
negotiations between Graham and the Saints were complicated by disagreement as to whether Graham should be treated for bargaining purposes as a tight end (his official position) or as a wide receiver (where he often lines up during games), since the difference in applicable compensation under the franchise tag is more than $5 million for the year. On July 2, 2014, an arbitrator ruled that Graham was indeed a tight end for franchise tag purposes.[23][24]

Graham appealed the arbitrator's ruling to preserve his position while negotiations continued. On July 15, the last day for a new multiyear contract to be negotiated under league rules, the Saints and Graham agreed on a new 4-year deal with $21 million guaranteed and a total value of $40 million over 4 years, making Graham the highest-paid tight end in the league at the time.[25]

10 million a year 4 years ago. sheesh if Gesicki matches Grahams production we gonna be giving him Landry type money.

Back
Top Bottom