Mike Gesicki | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Gesicki

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Mike comes in and he is having a tough time dealing with the heat and he can't block. Who was that guy, I think it was during the Philbin era and was a former baseball player, we bought in to play TE? He was catching everything and the heat wasn't affecting him, but like Gesicki he was whiffing on his blocks. He was cut pretty quickly and not even given a chance to work on his blocking. He wasn't even stashed on the PS. I just find it interesting that everyone quickly dismissed him, but they give Mike the benefit of the doubt and say we'll work with mike and his blocking will come in time.

Some coaches focus more on what you can't do than what you can do. I think it's best to let players do what they do best in at least small doses and work with them to improve weaker areas. Some coaches take a stance of "Until you can xxxxxx you won't see the field." The old "No block no rock" stance.

Think it will take 3 years to Gesicki to become a great baller. Just my opinion.

Well it should not be a surprise that MIke has to work on his blocking. That was in almost every scouting report that I read about him. I'm sure he is working diligently on that weakness to improve. The TE coach said in their presser that he is right on track as far as developing his blocking skills.

I think is safe to say he was drafted for his receiving ability. I don’t see him being a in-line blocker except in goalline and redzone. And when that happens the guy responsible for him has to worry about him going out for a pass.

He’ll be held against the Dallas Goedert standard if Goedert starts off stronger, whicich he most likely will. Goedert is the more NFL ready prospect. But it’s possible that Gesicki sheds the “project” label when he learns to block. I think he’ll flash in 2018, but 25 catches for 300 yards and a couple of TD’s seems reasonable.

Mike comes in and he is having a tough time dealing with the heat and he can't block. Who was that guy, I think it was during the Philbin era and was a former baseball player, we bought in to play TE? He was catching everything and the heat wasn't affecting him, but like Gesicki he was whiffing on his blocks. He was cut pretty quickly and not even given a chance to work on his blocking. He wasn't even stashed on the PS. I just find it interesting that everyone quickly dismissed him, but they give Mike the benefit of the doubt and say we'll work with mike and his blocking will come in time.
Not sure who you referring but I'm guessing bad blocking is where the similarities end

I posted this in another thread. It's what his coach thinks so far

Good interview, crazy how hung up some are about Mike's blocking. Like they're seeing film that no one else is. I'll take the coaches opinion on his progression over anyone else. Until I'm able to draw my own conclusions through what I see, I'm not going to guess, or take some tweets as gospel.

Michael Egnew? 3rd round pick

Back
Top Bottom