Mike Wallace vs Dwayne Bowe - Very possibly your starting Miami Dolphins 2013 #1 WR | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Wallace vs Dwayne Bowe - Very possibly your starting Miami Dolphins 2013 #1 WR

CANDolphan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
The stories with Dwayne Bowe have been covered to death, both on here and in the media, and it appears all but certain he is out of Kansas City next season. All indications point to him being a strong candidate for Miami, and the need is certainly there.

Now, word out of Pittsburgh seems to indicate that Wallace will likely suit up his final season in Black and Yellow.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...lock-wr-antonio-brown-5-year-425-million-deal

Antonio Brown was extended to a big dollar contract, while Wallace goes unsigned, and sitting out of camp, refusing to sign his free agent tender. The Steelers are a very no nonsense team, and are more than willing to move away from guys such as Wallace who want to command big dollars.

The question is - Who do you prefer, and why? Let's hear some thought out arguments for, and against, each player. Personally? I prefer Bowe. He's shown the ability to be a big time receiver without strong supporting play from his WR corps, while Wallace has not. Now, that opens the further question of "Does Miami have adequate support to bring in a guy like Wallace"? Or should they go for Bowe?

There is no way Miami could afford to sign both those players. I agree that either or perhaps both could be F/A targets next off season, but the finances will not be there after signing their own F/A's. Signing both could mean Miami loses Jake Long!!! Not sure I'd want that.

What part of my post made you think I said or even inferred they should sign both?

I would rather draft a WR in the first round next year. I would not want to spend that kind of money on Wallace. He doesn't really fit into the WCO that Miami is moving to. If Gates can learn to catch the ball, he has the potential to be a Wallace clone. If there are no top receivers left when we draft, I would prefer Bowe, at a reasonable price. Who knows, maybe we have a gem currently on our roster, and in that case, we wouldn't need either. Why not wait and see what 2012 brings before we worry about 2013.

Neither will be in a Fins uniform in 2013. West coast offense = developing receivers, not spending 60+ mil in free agency

Neither will be in a Fins uniform in 2013. West coast offense = developing receivers, not spending 60+ mil in free agency

This is a fallacy that seems to be repeated throughout Dolphins boards. It's genuinely start to get silly. You can't take a group of average WRs and make them productive simply by switching to the West Coast Offense. It simply doesn't work that way. I'm sorry to burst everyones bubble. You need top tier talent to run elite offenses in the NFL.

Wallace wants ridiculous money.

This thread is ridiculous.

If Miami pulled off signing either one, i wouldn't even be able to watch the Dolphins during the the 2013 season because my head would explode from excitement...

But having said that, i would give the slight edge to Mike Wallace because he would be more of what our team needs in terms of a guy who takes the top of a defense (assuming Clyde Gates shows us nothing this season). Also, Wallace has shown to the ability to be more impressive with his yards after catch ability, which is an important part of Philbin's west coast offense (Bowe averages 4.8 yac in his career, compared to Wallace's 5.9).

sidenote: Dwayne Bowe is a Miami native, and it's always great to have guys coming to play for their hometown team!

Wallace wants ridiculous money.

This thread is ridiculous.

Next thread idea I have I'll make sure to run the idea by you first, that way you won't be disturbed from reading your 5th "Ryan Tannehill should start" thread.

Next thread idea I have I'll make sure to run the idea by you first, that way you won't be disturbed from reading your 5th "Ryan Tannehill should start" thread.

My 5th? I don't start those things. People who only feel validated if they create their own thread about a subject that's already been discussed ad naseum do that kind of thing.

Let me ask you a question ..... Mike Wallace feels he deserves Top WR money (think Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson contracts). You actually in your right might believe we would offer that to him? Really?

This is a fallacy that seems to be repeated throughout Dolphins boards. It's genuinely start to get silly. You can't take a group of average WRs and make them productive simply by switching to the West Coast Offense. It simply doesn't work that way. I'm sorry to burst everyones bubble. You need top tier talent to run elite offenses in the NFL.
This is complete bs. I find it amusing that you would start at thread like this and take someones sensible opinion and claim it to be "silly." Please name one...just one high priced free agent Reciever that Mike Sherman or Pholnin brought in during their time in Green Bay. You can't name one because they didn't bring in anyone high priced, they developed their talent just like they developed their offensive game plan.

My 5th? I don't start those things. People who only feel validated if they create their own thread about a subject that's already been discussed ad naseum do that kind of thing.

Let me ask you a question ..... Mike Wallace feels he deserves Top WR money (think Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson contracts). You actually in your right might believe we would offer that to him? Really?

I never said you started those threads. You misunderstood.

It's a discussion. Bowe will clearly be the smaller priced player, as he seems to really want to come home. Wallace appears to have true elite ability. It's a discussion board.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

This is complete bs. I find it amusing that you would start at thread like this and take someones sensible opinion and claim it to be "silly." Please name one...just one high priced free agent Reciever that Mike Sherman or Pholnin brought in during their time in Green Bay. You can't name one because they didn't bring in anyone high priced, they developed their talent just like they developed their offensive game plan.

You're misunderstanding. They certainly "developed" their own talent, but they also give large contracts to players who are worthy. Jennings gets paid $8 million a year. Shouldn't they have just let him walk if it's so simple to develop true #1 WRs?

Did they sign someone to a huge "free agency" contract? No, no they didn't. But is there really a true difference between a free agency contract and a re-signing that is of equal dollar amount? You need talent. Tell me, who on our roster seems to scream talent and top flight capability? I know, I know, we all love Gates (we being Madden players) but there's very little ability flashed.

I completely agree that we have to see what is on our roster, but a very real possibility is that Miami goes after one of these two. They made a contract offer to Vincent Jackson. That alone kinda destroys your theory.

Bowe fits the West Coast prototype more, but seems like more of a headcase of the kind Philbin seems to disdain. Wallace is less of a fit, but seems like his head on at least relatively straight; he just wants to get paid in a manner that's difficult to achieve in Pittsburgh.

Does anyone have the drop stats on Wallace? Bowe is one of the more notorious pass droppers in the NFL, but I don't know where Wallace stands.

Anyway, if Gates can fulfill his potential, then Wallace becomes less necessary (though it never hurts to have multiple touchdown makers). But if it doesn't look like Gates is going to "get it," then a guy like Wallace is to me personally more valuable.

My guess, though, is that Philbin would prefer a Dwayne Bowe, or at least someone of the Bowe prototype.

Back
Top Bottom