Minka To Steelers Trade; all rumors & final trade (several threads merged) | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Minka To Steelers Trade; all rumors & final trade (several threads merged)

Which team trades for Minkah

• Washington

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • Dallas

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Kansas City

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Pittsburgh

Votes: 70 49.0%
  • Seattle

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Philadelphia

Votes: 10 7.0%

• Total voters
This is starting to feel like a total fiasco! Another wasted pick!

Grier has had 4 years and is one of the reason were in this position to begin with.

Ross let Grier pick Flores, these guys are in over their heads and this has the makings of a real bad ending.

As much as I appreciate the players’ point of view and concern for their future, this is getting ridiculous league wide.

His rights are under team control for FOUR MORE YEARS. Someone has to make a stand. The CBA negotiated for fair contracts based on draft selection (which Minkah greatly benefited from).

If he doesn’t want to play? Fine. Sit for 4 years, they have the cap space to spare. The NFL is going to become pro basketball Big 3, Golden State-esque super teams really quickly if 2nd year top 15 picks can just strong arm their drafting team into giving them away for peanuts so they can play on small contracts for powerhouses.

Yuck.

As much as I appreciate the players’ point of view and concern for their future, this is getting ridiculous league wide.

His rights are under team control for FOUR MORE YEARS. Someone has to make a stand. The CBA negotiated for fair contracts based on draft selection (which Minkah greatly benefited from).

If he doesn’t want to play? Fine. Sit for 4 years, they have the cap space to spare. The NFL is going to become pro basketball Big 3, Golden State-esque super teams really quickly if 2nd year top 15 picks can just strong arm their drafting team into giving them away for peanuts so they can play on small contracts for powerhouses.

Yuck.

In theory this sounds good but you don’t want a player to become a cancer. No coach wants a disgruntled player on the team.

In theory this sounds good but you don’t want a player to become a cancer. No coach wants a disgruntled player on the team.

I do agree with that thought, but if any team were in a position to die on a hill to curate a better future, it’s this one.

It’s like telling a terminal lung cancer patient to quit smoking.

The fact that a player has to play for the team that drafts him is only legal because of the fact that the league has been given an anti-trust exemption from the US Government... I'm not sure that the draft could withstand a legitimate court case.

This is a classic restraint of trade issue.

Now, that said... the reason I no longer watch baseball is because the team I rooted for as a child has ZERO chance of winning because it is a small market team in a sport with no salary cap...

So... I like the draft and the salary cap... I just dont think they are legally supportable...

...and I doubt if the NFL is ready to have a pissed off player sue them... so disgruntled players have leverage.

The fact that a player has to play for the team that drafts him is only legal because of the fact that the league has been given an anti-trust exemption from the US Government... I'm not sure that the draft could withstand a legitimate court case.

This is a classic restraint of trade issue.

Now, that said... the reason I no longer watch baseball is because the team I rooted for as a child has ZERO chance of winning because it is a small market team in a sport with no salary cap...

So... I like the draft and the salary cap... I just dont think they are legally supportable...

...and I doubt if the NFL is ready to have a pissed off player sue them... so disgruntled players have leverage.

I’m no lawyer, but how could you even bring a case against an employer when you joined a union that negotiated the contract you willingly signed with them?

The Supreme Court recently ruled against forced membership in Unions...
I'm no expert either.... but can you imagine what would happen if Tua and Herbert got a lawyer and said... we aren't joining or going to the team that drafts us...

Chaos.

Oddly enough... I think the NFL owners need the Players Association more than the players do.

MY concerns with the retention of Grier were always present considering he was part of the power structure for the last 20 years.

That being said, Fitzpatrick a safety @ 11 was an illogical act considering safeties are usually physically limited cornerbacks with some size and instincts and can be had much later in the draft.

Now since we have him, the question is what to do with him. It would seem that Saban (who is reasonably intelligent) can make the guy into a serious playmaker and we cannot at the coaching level does raise concerns. I am still confused about why he is not simply playing FS which would seem to be his more natural position.

Eh I wanted Derwin James anyway and Fitz will be wasted here if they dont let him settle at one position.

But all these picks are going to be wasted if we dont purge the front office

Last edited:
One of two things happens here... Minkah gets his trade or Flores has to back down and give Minkah the FS spot... which would make Flores look weak, further damaging his credibility.

As long as Minkah continues to show up... and continues to talk to the press... it festers and the 'phins cant discipline him, because he isnt missing practice.

Again... Minkah has all the leverage because we cant cut him.

Back
Top Bottom