Minkah Fitzpatrick Is The Hybrid Counter Your Nfl Team (probably) Needs...and The Dolphins Got! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Minkah Fitzpatrick Is The Hybrid Counter Your Nfl Team (probably) Needs...and The Dolphins Got!

BlueFin

Seer of Visions
Club Member
Reaction score
I fully expect Minkah to be the positive play maker for the Dolphins that he was for the Crimson Tide. He just seems too smart, dedicated and talented for it not to happen. There are always talented players coming into the league. But what separates the good from the average is desire, discipline and the dedication to do whatever is needed to succeed. The Dolphins have a player on their roster than embodies that spirit. His name is Cameron Wake. They just haven't had enough of those types of players. IMO, Minkah Fitzpatrick is cut from the same cloth as Wake. We'll find out soon enough if that's true.

Throughout the whole pre-draft process, I was lukewarm on Fitzpatrick. Then about 3 days before the draft, I came across the video about him dealing with the flood, and I realized just how much this guy LOVES football and wants to be the best. I was ecstatic to have gotten him

We have a track record of getting killed on big plays by some specific opposing offensive players, be it TEs, WRs and RBs. Up until now we have not had a top class, physically powerful DB who can just shut down the opposing biggest weapon. I may be wrong but from what I have seen, Minkah Fitzpatrick is the player who can do it. He has great closing speed and his hands are so good that every QB who rolls the dice to take him on, runs a real risk of an interception. Minkah is smart and he does his homework to identify the flaws in his opponents. His consistent success in big games for Alabama wasn't just luck, he is really good and with surrounding players like Reshad jones, Xavien Howard, Bobby McCain, Cordrea Tankersley, Tony Lippert and co, we may have the talent and depth at DB that we haven't seen in Miami since the days of Pat Surtain and Sam Madison. I'm an optimist by nature but Micah looks really special.

Last edited:
He's going to allow so many things to occur. The corners will be able to cheat a little more, working their receivers to the sidelines. The linebackers will be able to blitz more. And (hopefully) Burke will be able to have a field day disguising coverage and blitz packages, using Jones/McDonald/Fitz in hybrid/star roles.

The only things that concern me a little are 1) Whether or not using rotational DTs will be effective against the run, and 2) Using Kiko at SAM, then getting him the hell off the field on passing downs. That *seems* to be the most logical thing to do.

Also, the nickel corner can't suck if you leave Fitz at FS.

I like the Minkah pick but are we expecting him to stroll out onto the field and shut down Rob Gronkowski 2 times as a rookie? If so I think we are setting up the board for a meltdown. He'll be a valuable asset over time but let's not set the bar to it's highest point (Gronk) right out of the box.

He's going to allow so many things to occur. The corners will be able to cheat a little more, working their receivers to the sidelines. The linebackers will be able to blitz more. And (hopefully) Burke will be able to have a field day disguising coverage and blitz packages, using Jones/McDonald/Fitz in hybrid/star roles.

The only things that concern me a little are 1) Whether or not using rotational DTs will be effective against the run, and 2) Using Kiko at SAM, then getting him the hell off the field on passing downs. That *seems* to be the most logical thing to do.

Also, the nickel corner can't suck if you leave Fitz at FS.

I don't know if they can do that with Kiko. He seems like a shoe in for the Nickel in 2018. I don't know if Baker would be ready and I think Raekwon is not good in coverage. Even if Baker is ready we are looking at Kiko/Baker, Kiko/McDonald or Kiko/Anthony I'm betting.

I think Fitzpatrick is going to have a good NFL career....will he be a difference maker for Miami? He alone, isn't going to turn that Defense around.

No single player can or will turn a team around, but let's look at his impact.

Minkah was the field general for the Alabama defense, one of the best and most complicated in college football. He was responsible for the players on the back end and making the calls. He is also the guy who is film obsessed (think Zach Thomas) who will study the other team and be able to anticipate.

What does he add to Miami? The first true FS we have had in some time. When the team had Louis on the back end of the defense, Jones experienced his best season as a defender, now you are adding a player who is more talented. Adding a Minkah also gives you a ton of flexibility in formations and what you can do with Jones and McDonald. He essentially frees up both players to do what they do best. The impact of Fitzpatrick goes beyond upgrading the FS position, it upgrades the entire safety unit and even helps the LBs. I keep thinking of those plays where you see a frustrated Jones looking at a player who is out of position, that will be cut down on. M. Fitzpatrick will make sure players are int he right spot and the right calls are made.

There were three players I thought could have the biggest possible impact on the Dolphins...Smith, James, and Fitzpatrick. Smith was gone and Fitzpatrick is a better fit for what the team needed. I just hope Burke allows him to be the man.

I like the Minkah pick but are we expecting him to stroll out onto the field and shut down Rob Gronkowski 2 times as a rookie? If so I think we are setting up the board for a meltdown. He'll be a valuable asset over time but let's not set the bar to it's highest point (Gronk) right out of the box.

He's going to get beat. It's going to happen. Even the best of the best veteran safeties get beat from time to time. Want to see a fun one? Go to the much-maligned Kenny Stills TD drop from the beginning of 2016. Earl Thomas got toasted on that play so badly it wasn't even funny...and he's one of the best ever.

I don't know if they can do that with Kiko. He seems like a shoe in for the Nickel in 2018. I don't know if Baker would be ready and I think Raekwon is not good in coverage. Even if Baker is ready we are looking at Kiko/Baker, Kiko/McDonald or Kiko/Anthony I'm betting.

Hard to say. If McMillan doesn't start the season at Mike, I'll be...disappointed. But yeah, it might be a little much to expect a lot from basically a rookie tandem at MLB and WLB. They've obviously already played a lot together, though. Hey, a guy can hope.

I just don't want to see Kiko at Will any more. I like my TV, and Kiko dropping into coverage makes me want to throw things at it.

Hard to say. If McMillan doesn't start the season at Mike, I'll be...disappointed. But yeah, it might be a little much to expect a lot from basically a rookie tandem at MLB and WLB. They've obviously already played a lot together, though. Hey, a guy can hope.

I just don't want to see Kiko at Will any more. I like my TV, and Kiko dropping into coverage makes me want to throw things at it.
Everything we've heard is that Raekwon's recovery is good and is ahead of schedule. There is an excellent chance that he's fully healthy and will be able to get his NFL career rolling. Let's see how he goes at Training Camp (and maybe they play it conservative and don't rush him to do too much), but I think the expectation remains that he starts as the MIKE Linebacker. If Jerome Baker quickly picks up his role in the NFL, I expect that he plays WILL right next to Raekwon like their days at Ohio State together. I expect that Kiko gets the initial opportunity at SAM.

Back
Top Bottom