Minkah Fitzpatrick Is The Hybrid Counter Your Nfl Team (probably) Needs...and The Dolphins Got!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BlueFin, May 9, 2018.

1. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/9/17085942/minkah-fitzpatrick-dolphins-scouting-report

This is the Best Dolphin 1st round draft pick since Marino...this team is finally making smart moves and beginning to put together a defense that could become special!

2. EJay

EJay Scout Team

I fully expect Minkah to be the positive play maker for the Dolphins that he was for the Crimson Tide. He just seems too smart, dedicated and talented for it not to happen. There are always talented players coming into the league. But what separates the good from the average is desire, discipline and the dedication to do whatever is needed to succeed. The Dolphins have a player on their roster than embodies that spirit. His name is Cameron Wake. They just haven't had enough of those types of players. IMO, Minkah Fitzpatrick is cut from the same cloth as Wake. We'll find out soon enough if that's true.

tay0365, joenhre and Ray R like this.
  3. lbmclean_nocal

lbmclean_nocal Active Member

don't tell our ****head owner

TannDaMan17 likes this.
  4. traptses

traptses Starter Finheaven VIP

Throughout the whole pre-draft process, I was lukewarm on Fitzpatrick. Then about 3 days before the draft, I came across the video about him dealing with the flood, and I realized just how much this guy LOVES football and wants to be the best. I was ecstatic to have gotten him

5. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

The great thing about the article is all the discussion of the impact of the TE. Miami got their impact TE also.

6. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy...and let it fly." Finheaven VIP Donator

I think Fitzpatrick is going to have a good NFL career....will he be a difference maker for Miami? He alone, isn't going to turn that Defense around.

Ray R likes this.
  7. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

You’re buying the reports from Boston about our Miami owner?

El Calebra likes this.
  8. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

We have a track record of getting killed on big plays by some specific opposing offensive players, be it TEs, WRs and RBs. Up until now we have not had a top class, physically powerful DB who can just shut down the opposing biggest weapon. I may be wrong but from what I have seen, Minkah Fitzpatrick is the player who can do it. He has great closing speed and his hands are so good that every QB who rolls the dice to take him on, runs a real risk of an interception. Minkah is smart and he does his homework to identify the flaws in his opponents. His consistent success in big games for Alabama wasn't just luck, he is really good and with surrounding players like Reshad jones, Xavien Howard, Bobby McCain, Cordrea Tankersley, Tony Lippert and co, we may have the talent and depth at DB that we haven't seen in Miami since the days of Pat Surtain and Sam Madison. I'm an optimist by nature but Micah looks really special.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  9. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

He's going to allow so many things to occur. The corners will be able to cheat a little more, working their receivers to the sidelines. The linebackers will be able to blitz more. And (hopefully) Burke will be able to have a field day disguising coverage and blitz packages, using Jones/McDonald/Fitz in hybrid/star roles.

The only things that concern me a little are 1) Whether or not using rotational DTs will be effective against the run, and 2) Using Kiko at SAM, then getting him the hell off the field on passing downs. That *seems* to be the most logical thing to do.

Also, the nickel corner can't suck if you leave Fitz at FS.

Ray R likes this.
  10. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

I like the Minkah pick but are we expecting him to stroll out onto the field and shut down Rob Gronkowski 2 times as a rookie? If so I think we are setting up the board for a meltdown. He'll be a valuable asset over time but let's not set the bar to it's highest point (Gronk) right out of the box.

Yessir likes this.
  11. DolfanISS

I don't know if they can do that with Kiko. He seems like a shoe in for the Nickel in 2018. I don't know if Baker would be ready and I think Raekwon is not good in coverage. Even if Baker is ready we are looking at Kiko/Baker, Kiko/McDonald or Kiko/Anthony I'm betting.

Yessir likes this.
  12. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

No single player can or will turn a team around, but let's look at his impact.

Minkah was the field general for the Alabama defense, one of the best and most complicated in college football. He was responsible for the players on the back end and making the calls. He is also the guy who is film obsessed (think Zach Thomas) who will study the other team and be able to anticipate.

What does he add to Miami? The first true FS we have had in some time. When the team had Louis on the back end of the defense, Jones experienced his best season as a defender, now you are adding a player who is more talented. Adding a Minkah also gives you a ton of flexibility in formations and what you can do with Jones and McDonald. He essentially frees up both players to do what they do best. The impact of Fitzpatrick goes beyond upgrading the FS position, it upgrades the entire safety unit and even helps the LBs. I keep thinking of those plays where you see a frustrated Jones looking at a player who is out of position, that will be cut down on. M. Fitzpatrick will make sure players are int he right spot and the right calls are made.

There were three players I thought could have the biggest possible impact on the Dolphins...Smith, James, and Fitzpatrick. Smith was gone and Fitzpatrick is a better fit for what the team needed. I just hope Burke allows him to be the man.

GUH-sick-EE, NBP81 and The Goat like this.
  13. The Goat

He's going to get beat. It's going to happen. Even the best of the best veteran safeties get beat from time to time. Want to see a fun one? Go to the much-maligned Kenny Stills TD drop from the beginning of 2016. Earl Thomas got toasted on that play so badly it wasn't even funny...and he's one of the best ever.

Fin Mex, BSQ, GUH-sick-EE and 2 others like this.
  14. The Goat

Hard to say. If McMillan doesn't start the season at Mike, I'll be...disappointed. But yeah, it might be a little much to expect a lot from basically a rookie tandem at MLB and WLB. They've obviously already played a lot together, though. Hey, a guy can hope.

I just don't want to see Kiko at Will any more. I like my TV, and Kiko dropping into coverage makes me want to throw things at it.

15. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Everything we've heard is that Raekwon's recovery is good and is ahead of schedule. There is an excellent chance that he's fully healthy and will be able to get his NFL career rolling. Let's see how he goes at Training Camp (and maybe they play it conservative and don't rush him to do too much), but I think the expectation remains that he starts as the MIKE Linebacker. If Jerome Baker quickly picks up his role in the NFL, I expect that he plays WILL right next to Raekwon like their days at Ohio State together. I expect that Kiko gets the initial opportunity at SAM.

16. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

[​IMG]

17. The Goat

This is exactly what I'm hoping for.

spiketex likes this.
  18. Aqua ‘N Orange

Aqua ‘N Orange Well-Known Member

The hype train has left the station a bit here. Hope for a Malcolm Jenkins like pro return.

As for lb Allen at sam in base Raekwon at mike and Kiko at weak.

Anthony is too easy to bait.

19. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I loved the Mikah pick. For those saying he can't turn the whole defense around....duh........not one player can do that but you need to start somewhere. I mean, would it be better not to have him just because he can't do it alone? The way to build a great defense is by adding great players to it. Real play makers at positions of impact like DE and FS. We'll need all 11 guys to contribute but FS is one less position to worry about.

20. Eesti

Eesti Rookie Finheaven VIP

One common trait found in almost all elite NFL players is " great work ethic". Combine that with top notch physical traits and you have yourself a great football player.

(3) traits that should be a prerequisite for all Miami draft picks should be work ethic, physical tools AND college production. This is Minkah.

Almost all of our draft picks meet this requirement.

Never again bet on boom or bust or players with "potential" and little college production or red flags about character. Not in the first 3 rounds anyway.

GUH-sick-EE and Ray R like this.
  21. The Goat

If this is so, let's hope for the pre-2017 Kiko. I think jared Cook just caught another pass against him. He was *that* bad.

22. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB Finheaven VIP

Gronk isn't the same Gronk he was two/three seasons ago. He's been injured a lot and it's questionable how much his heart is going to be in it with all the retirement talk. Fitz is faster than Gronk and can easily hang with him on his routes. I think he will be an asset against any TE right out of the gate.

23. Aqua ‘N Orange

That wasn’t vs base but root problem too much air space.

Kiko compete with Anthony, Raekwon, Baker, and possibly TJ McDonald in nickel.

Baker subpackage and possible dime lb. Possible dime lb for Kiko and tj McDonald also.

Yessir likes this.
  24. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

Kiko Alonso? At SAM? On what planet can he handle the point of attack and gap fill assignments of a SAM linebacker in this defensive scheme? Nope.

Phinatic8u likes this.
  25. Aqua ‘N Orange

Jerome Baker can’t handle the poa and gap fill ask either at this stage. Which is why he’s destined for subpackage and dime lb run. And possibly some package safety play.

Yessir likes this.
  26. DolfanISS

Yup and earlier in the game old man Arian Foster faked out and speed bumped Earl thomas on a screen. It happens.

27. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

Exactly.

Kiko has no competition at Will in 2018. Which means we're going to have target practice in nickel again. And Baker is sub package at best for 2018.

We have Chase Allen and Stephone Anthony to work with at SAM. Yikes.

28. Aqua ‘N Orange

Run him underneath Gronk when possible like the Eagles did with Malcolm Jenkins in the Super Bowl.

Physically it’s no contest so over/under him.

29. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

I think you are to late.

Ray R likes this.
  30. josephreese

josephreese Since '76

What I love most about us drafting Minkah is not that he improves our play against TEs specifically, but that if he's everything advertised as a FS his play will have a ripple effect on the rest of the secondary. Reshad can be more aggressive. The CBs will be able to play more press. With better/tighter coverage over a larger area of the field, the D-line should have that all-important extra fraction of a second to reach the QB. Seems to me the big question/concern will be how we fare against the run on 1st-and-10 and 2nd-and-7ish. If we can force more 3rd-and-6ish downs the D will get off the field a lot more frequently than last year. The O will get more opportunities, and with better field position. It's a lot to hang on a rookie, and I expect a learning curve. I imagine we'll start seeing a big difference after the first quarter of the season.

Ray R and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  31. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Minkah is a blue chip defender, a quality person and someone who is always willing to go the extra mile to succeed. He will be our defensive coach on the field. Mike Mayock had him ranked #5 best player (James #6 and Edmunds #11) so he's an exceptional value and one of our best 1st round picks in recent memory.

There's no assurance he'll turn into the next coming of Ed Reed but an argument can be made that he's got the right stuff to develop into a game-changing center fielder. I dismiss all this poppy**** about him being the "safe pick" as just more whining. He's a great pick and has a good chance to develop into one of the Fins GOAT iconic players.

Ray R, miami365, Superself and 4 others like this.
  32. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

Only gap he can fill is when the TE burns him so bad he closes the gap on the play once Jones saved another touchdown.

33. Phinatic8u

I’ll never compare another safety to Ed Reed or Sean Taylor as a college prospect.

But the 2 guys coming out this year sure we’re ****ing close..

Ray R likes this.
  34. Finuk

Finuk FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Watched his highlight videos on youtube and loved them.
    Watched his interviews and LOVED them. The guy seems great.

What games is it worth trying to watch? I only watch one College game on live TV a week during the season, so my College football knowledge is severely lacking.

35. lbmclean_nocal

lbmclean_nocal Active Member

I thought there was another report. my bad

maralieus likes this.
  36. BlueFin

I disagree with those saying one person can’t make a huge difference...especially if he fills a glaring hole.

Sometimes a defense just has one hole or two that makes it appear awful...when in reality teams are just taking advantage of the hole over and over.

Close it and watch what happens.

GUH-sick-EE, Spiff and Ray R like this.
  37. BlueFin

Fitzpatrick is above James IMO...more proven intangibles over a longer period of time.

Neither Ed Reed nor Sean Taylor won both the Thorpe and Bendarik trophies the same year...like Fitzpatrick.

Only Charles Woodson and Patrick Peterson did.

So...obviously he has to prove it at this level...but my money would be on a kid that checks so many boxes.

More of a sure thing than James by far!

Bumpus and Ray R like this.
  38. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you. Finheaven VIP

Minkah may not shut down Gronkowski but he sure will annoy him and get in his head. Brady will whisper to the refs about Minkah and they will throw yellow flags for breathing next to Gronk.

Bottom line is this, Minkah will eventually become a leader on this team. He is a natural born leader of men. But he is also humble and knows he has to show and prove first. He will put in the work necessary to excel at an elite level.

He will have an impressive and visable impact on the Dolphins defense.

Ray R and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  39. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

If he was 3/4 if the player ed reed was he’d by HoF. That’s an exiting thought. I hated ed reed when we played him but god damn did I respect him! Two things he was amazing at... disguising where he was going and reading where the ball would be. Both of fitzs strengths from what I’ve seen.

Ray R and Phinatic8u like this.
  40. Phinatic8u

I just can’t compare any college guy to those two men. Flat out superstar from day one. If Minkah does that day one then we’ll be talking about that.