Mock Draft Game: Rounds 1-3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mock Draft Game: Rounds 1-3

Majpain

Giants GM
Reaction score
WARNING: DO NOT POST HERE UNLESS YOU ARE SELECTING YOUR PLAYER.

Yay we finally filled up the list.

Rules
Be realistic. Draft based of needs.
Give reason to your pick
No trades
Only Picks go in this thread. There will be a Draft discussion thread.

Links to help you
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2008&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=45
http://hailredskins.com/MockDraft.htm
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/rankings.html

I will be sending out PM's for those who are up to picking. The first pick gets 3 days while every other pick has a full 24 hours to make a selection. Fail to to respond to the PM's will be replaced. If you plan on going away for a week Please let me know and The draft Committee will select a player for you.

Draft Committee
Majpain
GIK34
TractorTraylor
Adamprez2003
Stitches
Aqua4ever

Reserves
VMF
JT-forpresident
Current roster is

AFC North
Baltimore Ravens--Straztheman
Cleveland Browns--Believeland
Pittsburgh Steelers--Finfan09
Cincinnati Bengals--TractorTraylor

AFC South
Houston Texans--next-year
Indianapolis Colts--JT-forpresident
Jacksonville Jaguars--Buff
Tennessee Titans--C-Hucks

AFC East
Miami Dolphins--Jwong
New England Patriots--SprayMucus
New York Jets--Dolphinsfan69
Buffalo Bills--Sec.142

AFC West
Oakland Raiders--Paul13
San Diego Chargers--Regan21286
Kansas City Chiefs--NMPhinsfan
Denver Broncos--Zach8111

NFC North
Green Bay Packers--DenverDolFan
Minnesota Vikings--Aqua4ever04
Chicago Bears--flyer22
Detroit Lions--Stitches

NFC south
Tampa Bay Buccaneers--PublixSubsRule
New Orleans Saints--GridIronKing34
Carolina Panthers--Adamprez2003
Atlanta Falcons--biggtyme13

NFC East
Dallas Cowboys--banzaitrey
Philadelphia Eagles--Houtz
Washington Redskins--BigWalt18
New York Giants--phinsfan1221

NFC West

Seattle Seahawks--Pigskinguy
San Fransisco 49ers--Majpain
St Louis Rams--MrTree
Arizona Cardinals--VMF

Round 1
With the 1st pick the Miami Dolphins select CHRIS LONG, DE, VIRGINA
With the 2nd pick the St Louis Rams select GLENN DORSEY, DT, LSU
With the 3rd pick the Kansas City Chiefs select JAKE LONG, OT, MICHIGAN
With the 4th pick the Atlanta Falcons select MATT RYAN, QB, BOSTON COLLEGE

With the 5th pick the Oakland Raiders select SEDRICK ELLIS, DT, USC
With the 6th pick the New York Jets select DARREN MCFADDEN, RB, ARKANSAS
With the 7th pick the New England Patriots select VERNON GHOLSTON, DE, OHIO ST
With the 8th pick the Baltimore Ravens select BRIAN BROHM, QB, LOUISVILLE
With the 9th pick the Cincinnati Bengals select RYAN CLADY, OT, BOISE ST
With the 10th pick the New Orleans Saints select KENNY PHILLIPS, S, MIAMI
With the 11th pick the Buffalo Bills select AQIB TALIB, CB, KANSAS
With the 12th pick the Denver Broncos select KEITH RIVERS, LB, USC
With the 13th pick the Carolina Panthers select RASHARD MENDENHALL, RB, ILLINOIS
With the 14th pick the Chicago Bears select JEFF OTAH, OT, PITTSBURGH
With the 15th pick the Detroit Lions select JONATHAN STEWART, RB, OREGON
With the 16th pick the Arizona Cardinals select DERRICK HARVEY, DE, FLORIDA
With the 17th pick the Minnesota Vikings select MALCOLM KELLY, WR, OKLAHOMA
With the 18th pick the Houston Texans select RAY RICE, RB, RUTGERS
With the 19th pick the Philadelphia Eagles select DESEAN JACKSON, WR, CALIFORNIA
With the 20th pick the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select LEODIS McKELVIN, CB, TROY
With the 21st pick the Washington Redskins select CALAIS CAMPBELL, DE, MIAMI
With the 22nd pick the Dallas Cowboys select MIKE JENKINS, CB, SOUTH FLORIDA
With the 23rd pick the Pittsburgh Steelers select DOMNIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE, CB, TENNESSEE ST.
With the 24th pick the Tennessee Titans select LIMAS SWEED, WR, TEXAS
With the 25th pick the Seattle Seahawks select CHRIS WILLIAMS, OT, VANDERBILT
With the 26th pick the Jacksonville Jaguars select JAMES HARDY, WR, INDIANA
With the 27th pick the San Diego Chargers select GOSDER CHERILUS, OT, BOSTON COLLEGE
With the 28th pick the Dallas Cowboys select FELIX JONES, RB, ARKANSAS
With the 29th pick the San Fransisco 49ers select QUENTIN GROVES, DE/OLB, AUBURN
With the 30th pick the Green Bay Packers select REGGIE SMITH, CB, OKLAHOMA
With the 31st pick the New England Patriots select...No selection because of cheating.
With the 32nd pick the New York Giants select DAN CONNOR, LB, PENN STATE

Round 2
With the 1st pick in the 2nd round the Miami Dolphins select FRED DAVIS, TE, USC
With the 2nd pick in the 2nd round the St Louis Rams select SAM BAKER, OT, USC
With the 3rd pick in the 2nd round the Oakland Raiders select MARIO MANNINGHAM, WR, MICHIGAN
With the 4th pick in the 2nd round the Kansas City Chiefs select ANDRE WOODSON, QB, KENTUCKY
With the 5th pick in the 2nd round the Atlanta Falcons select ANTHONY COLLINS, OT, KANSAS
With the 6th pick in the 2nd round the New York Jets select PHILLIP MERLING, DE, CLEMSON
With the 7th pick in the 2nd round the Baltimore Ravens select PATRICK LEE, CB, AUBURN
With the 8th pick in the 2nd round the San Francisco 49ers select
EARLY DOUCET, WR, LSU
With the 9th pick in the 2nd round the New Orleans Saints select CURTIS LOFTON, MLB, OKLAHOMA
With the 10th pick in the 2nd round the the Buffalo Bills select PAT SIMS, DT, AUBURN
With the 11th pick in the 2nd round the Denver Broncos select KENTWAN BALMER, DT, NORTH CAROLINA
With the 12th pick in the 2nd round the Carolina Panthers select JOE FLACCO, QB, DELAWARE
With the 13th pick in the 2nd round the Chicago Bears select CHAD HENNE, QB, MICHIGAN
With the 14th pick in the 2nd round the Detroit Lions select BRANDEN ALBERT, OG, VIRGINIA
With the 15th pick in the 2nd round the Cincinnati Bengals select ALI HIGHSMITH, LB, LSU
With the 16th pick in the 2nd round the Minnesota Vikings select LAWRENCE JACKSON, DE, USC
With the 17th pick in the 2nd round the Atlanta Falcons select CHRIS JOHNSON, RB, ECU
With the 18th pick in the 2nd round the Philadelphia Eagles select CHARLES GODFREY, CB, IOWA
With the 19th pick in the 2nd round the Arizona Cardinals select ANTOINE CASON, CB, ARIZONA
With the 20th pick the Washington Redskins select DEVIN THOMAS, WR, MICHIGAN STATE
With the 21st pick in the 2nd round the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select JOHN CARLSON, TE, NOTRE DAME
With the 22nd pick in the 2nd round the Pittsburgh Steelers select CHILO RACHAL, OG, USC
With the 23rd pick in the 2nd round the Tennessee Titans select MARTELLUS BENNETT, TE, TEXAS A&M
With the 24th pick in the 2nd round the Seattle Seahawks select SIMEON CASTILLE, S, ALABAMA
With the 25th pick in the 2nd round the Cleveland Browns select JEROD MAYO, LB, TENNESSEE
With the 26th pick in the 2nd round the Miami Dolphins select CARL NICKS, OT, NEBRASKA
With the 27th pick in the 2nd round the Jacksonville Jaguars select CHRIS ELLIS, DE, VIRGINIA TECH
With the 28th pick in the 2nd round the Indianapolis Colts select RED BRYANT, DT, TEXAS A&M
With the 29th pick in the 2nd round the Green Bay Packers select PHILLIP WHEELER, LB, GEORIGA TECH
With the 30th pick in the 2nd round the Dallas Cowboys select DaJuan Morgan, S, North Carolina State
With the 31st pick in the 2nd round the New England Patriots select BRANDON FLOWERS, CB, VTECH
With the 32nd pick in the 2nd round the New York Giants select TRACEY PORTER. CB, INDIANA

Round 3
With the 1st pick in the 3rd round the Miami Dolphins select TERREL THOMAS, CB, USC
With the 2nd pick in the 3rd round the St Louis Rams select ROY SCHUENING, G, OREGON ST
With the 3rd pick in the 3rd round the Atlanta Falcons select TREVOR LAWS, DT, NOTRE DAME
With the 4th pick in the 3rd round the New England Patriots select JONATHAN GOFF, LB, VANDERBILT
With the 5th pick in the 3rd round the Kansas City Chiefs select...
With the 6th pick in the 3rd round the New York Jets select...
With the 7th pick in the 3rd round the San Francisco 49ers select...
With the 8th pick in the 3rd round the the Buffalo Bills select...
With the 9th pick in the 3rd round the the Buffalo Bills select...
With the 10th pick in the 3rd round the Minnesota Vikings select...
With the 11th pick in the 3rd round the Carolina Panthers select...
With the 12th pick in the 3rd round the Chicago Bears select...
With the 13th pick in the 3rd round the Detroit Lions select...
With the 14th pick in the 3rd round the Cincinnati Bengals select...
With the 15th pick in the 3rd round the New Orleans Saints select...
With the 16th pick in the 3rd round the Houston Texans select...
With the 17th pick in the 3rd round the Philadelphia Eagles select...
With the 18th pick in the 3rd round the Arizona Cardinals select...
With the 19th pick in the 3rd round the Minnesota Vikings select...
With the 20th pick in the 3rd round the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...
With the 21st pick in the 3rd round Washington Redskins select...
With the 22nd pick in the 3rd round the Tennessee Titans select...
With the 23rd pick in the 3rd round the Seattle Seahawks select...
With the 24th pick in the 3rd round the Cleveland Browns select...
With the 25th pick in the 3rd round the Pittsburgh Steelers select...
With the 26th pick in the 3rd round the Jacksonville Jaguars select...
With the 27th pick in the 3rd round the Chicago Bears select...
With the 28th pick in the 3rd round the Green Bay Packers select...
With the 29th pick in the 3rd round the Dallas Cowboys select...
With the 30th pick in the 3rd round the Indianapolis Colts select...
With the 31st pick in the 3rd round the New England Patriots select...
With the 32nd pick in the 3rd round the New York Giants select...

Trading down would be my first option but since there are no trades, the multi million dollar question is Glenn Dorsey or Chris Long? In my opinion there is no wrong answer(I’d be happy with either one) for this question, although it is a difficult one for me. But right now I have to go with Chris Long. I am drafting C. Long as an OLB to go in a 3 -4 defense( CK made a post in the VIP forum stating that we hired 2 LB coaches, one to coach OLB’s and one for ILB’s which would seem that we are gearing up for a 3-4 defense.) In a 3-4 alignment: Long and JT would be our OLB’s and I would assume that J. Peazy would move inside which I think would be a good thing being that we are uncertain about Zach, and Channing can opt out of his contract this off season. So just imagine a LB core of JT, Long, Porter and Crowder?/Zach?/ a rookie?

I was able to catch 3 Virginia games this year and was overly impressed, this guy is a football player who seems to do everything well. High football IQ, relentless, high motor all come to mind when describing Long. Look at what he did in the 2008 Gator Bowl....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UC0guzCtZ7U

OK so the Rams seriously explore the possibility of trading down here....but since they can't they choose Glenn Dorsey.

The Rams seriously needed to upgrade their o-line, but the best two talents were at running back and DT. Since the Rams clearly do not need McFadden with Steven Jackson on the roster they chose the best DT in the draft. With Dorsey the Rams can move Adam Carriker back out to end and have the foundation for a dominant defensive line for the next decade.

With the 3rd pick, the Kansas City Chiefs select OT Jake Long.

They have many holes to fill but the biggest one is obviously offensive line. With a running back like Larry Johnson there is no reason why they should be one of the worst rushing teams in the league. I know he wasn't healthy all of last year but even in the games he did play in they were still not very impressive at running the ball. With Long they get a stud that Larry Johnson can run behind who can play either LT or RT and a guy who can give Croyle some time in the pocket as he is an excellent pass blocker as well. A very nice building block for the Chiefs offense to go along with LJ and Bowe.

With the 4th Pick in the NFL Draft the Atlanta Falcons Select Matt Ryan, QB Boston College

The Falcons have many needs but it all starts at the quarterback and the three headed monster of Leftwich, Harrington, Redman are not going to get it done. Matt Ryan is Big and strong and can make all the NFL throws. With Roddy White emerging as a go to receiver and Michael Jenkins and Alge Crumpler Ryan has decent weapons in the passing game. Its not enuff to get the Falcons to the Playoffs but it is a start.

In making this selection for the Oakland Raiders, there are clearly two different directions we could go with this pick. On the one hand you have Darren McFadden, the highest rated offensive player in the entire draft. With our current running back depth chart as Justin Fargas, Lamont Jordan, and Dominic Rhodes, one could argue just where is Darren going to fit in? Yes, Justin Fargas is an unrestricted free agent, coming off a thousand yard season. But he's also coming severe knee injury that will restrict how well he could do on the open market. I suspect he'll re-sign and all three backs will compete for the starting spot. Still though, McFadden gives you something that neither of these three backs gives you, an every down playmaker who can take it to the house any time he touches the ball....

The other direction we can go with this pick is Sedrick Ellis, the monstrous DT from USC. With Lane Kiffin having ties to the Trojans, the foundation is already there for this player to join the Raiders. Ellis instantly would improve a porous run defense that ranked 31st (behind only Miami) and dead last in Rushing Average (4.8!!!) and Rushing TD's allowed (24!!!!!!!!!!) Our starters at DT last year were Gerard Warren and Warren Sapp (who is likely to retire, if he hasn't already). Behind them are Tyler Brayton (280 pounds), Terdell Sands (Terdell? ), and former Dolphin great Josh Shaw.

After much debate with the jumpsuited one, he wanted to take a wide receiver... the pick is...... SEDRICK ELLIS, DT USC.

With the 6th pick in the NFL Draft the New York Jets select.... Darren McFadden, running back out of Arkansas.

Best player available... possibly best player in the draft. Barring a career-ending injury, DMC has a chance to be one of the best ever, imo. Other consideration was Vernen Gholston. With the Jets switching to the 3-4, they need a bonafide young pass rusher. Gholston would probably be the smarter pick with the needs the Jets have, but in the top 10, it's best to take the BPA, and McFadden would improve the Jets dramatically because Thomas Jones is a nice "move the chains back" but isn't a guy who can break off big plays.

With the 7th overall pick the New England Patriots select....

Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio State
OhioState_logo-1.gif

352082-1.jpg

Vernon Gholston
# 50
Defensive Lineman - DL
Height: 6' 4" Weight: 264
Junior
Previous Affiliations
High School: Cass Technical

Hometown: Detroit, Mich.

With the anticipating retirement of Jr. Seau and Teddy Bruschi, not many needs on the offensive side of the ball the pratiots only weakness (if we have one) is improving our defense. Vernon can be a pass rusher, run stoper, and play both DE or OLB, and fits quite nicely in the 3-4 defense.

With the 8th pick in the N.F.L. Draft the Ravens Select.......

Brian Brohm QB, Lousiville

With McNair being an aging Qb, and Kyle Boller not being the answear, Brohm could be the answear to the Ravens QB question. Who better to mentor a young QB than an expierienced Steve McNair? With Brohm still on the board we had to snatch his up.

With the 9th Pick in the draft, the Bengals select Ryan Clady, OT From Boise State.

A large reason that the offense struggled at times last year was because of the inconsistent play from the o-line. Although they were dominant for close to a decade, Levi Jones and Willie Anderson are getting old and oft-injured. Clady will be able to step in immediately and his versatility allows him to fill either tackle spot.

With the 10th selection in the NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select...

Kenny Phillips, S, Miami.

clear.gif

The New Orleans Saints were known as the team to pass on. They were among the worst in the league in pass defense, although their rush defense stood in the middle of the pack. They gave up the second most 20-plus yard plays at 54 and gave up the most amount of 40-plus yard plays at 14. The Saints need an identity in the secondary, being that the draft is very deep in the cornerback position, that could hold off until later in the draft.

Kenny Phillips is an outstanding safety that will provide instant credibility with his smooth athletic ability and run support. Phillips would likely play as a strong safety in New Orleans 4-3 defense and would start instantly. A defense needs an identity, when looking at the top defenses, they all have a top safety. Pittsburgh with Troy Polamalu; Tampa Bay with Jermaine Phillips; Indianapolis with Bob Sanders; New England with Rodney Harrison. The list goes on and on...

With Ellis off the board, as well as Jenkins and Rivers both not being worthy of a top ten selection, Kenny Phillips was the best player available and provided help for the Saints pitiful pass defense. Phillips is rated the 8th best player in the NFL Draft by Scott Wright and is the best safety in the NFL Draft, hands down. Although this selection may be controversial to some, it was the right selection in the eyes of the Saints GM.

Quite a few options left on the board for the Bills at #11.

In discussing this pick on various Bill's forums, I've learned that their biggest concern is pressuring the QB. With Ellis off the board, I see four d-linemen that can be considered this early. Kentwan Balmer DT North Carolina, Derrick Harvey DE Florida, Philip Merling DE Clemson and Calais Campbell DE Miami. All solid players, but IMO all four would be reaches at this point. Just for the record, if I had to choose one I would go with Merling. But I don't, so I won't.

WR is also a position of need. Sure Malcolm Kelly could team up with Lee Evans to form a solid tandem, but IMO they can snag a WR in the second or with one of their two 3rds and possibly end up with a more talented WR than Kelly or DeSean Jackson. Who, BTW, McShay has them taking in his mock. Also, their run game was ranked 15th overall, so at least they can move the ball, somewhat.

LB, according to some, is the direction they should go. I don't see it. John DiGiorgio filled in admirably for the injured Paul Posluszny who will be back this season, and Angelo Crowell is a keeper. Do they need to replace Keith Ellison? Yes, but not by drafting Keith Rivers or Dan Connor with their first pick. IMO, that would be a reach. As with WR, I believe they can find a solid LB later in the draft. One who may be equally or even better suited to play in the cover 2.

So what position are we going to take? Cornerback. Why? The Bills ranked 29th against the pass(25th against the run) and as I stated before, I don't see a DL that represents any value with this pick. For me, this is where the decision gets tricky because all of the CBs are on the board and the combine would really simplify this decision. DRC, McKelvin, Jenkins and Talib. All good choices, so lets narrow it down. I love DRC, and my gut tells me he'll end up being the best corner in this draft. But how can I justify selecting him when I've only seen him play in one All-Star game, and don't have the luxury of knowing his combine numbers? He's off the list. McKelvin has the speed, is solid against the run but seems incapable of making the big play(see Will Allen). That's one point Bill's fans stressed to me. If they draft a corner he needs to be a play maker. McKelvin, gone! Mike Jenkins has good size, Gets his hands on the ball, good speed and at times can be very physical. He has no problem trying to take a wideout's head off, but where is that tenacity against the run? In my mind that shows a lack of "want to", and combined with his off the field issues makes picking him at 11 a risk. It wasn't an easy decision, but that leaves us with the Buffalo Bill's first pick in the 2008 draft:

Aqib Talib

At 6'2 202 Talib is, in the words of Todd McShay, a "versatile, fluid athlete with excellent size and ball skills". I believe that Talib will turn into a dynamic play maker in Buffalo's cover two scheme. Adding much needed length and solidifying a young Bill's secondary.

For those that think this pick is a reach, it may very well be. But as I said, It is tough to separate this cornerback class. Especially without the combine numbers. For whatever it's worth, Kiper has him going 7 to NE while McShay has him going 15 to Detroit.

clear.gif

The Denver Broncos need alot of help on defense. They were one of the worst run defenses last year. There number one choice would be a DT because Sam Adams and Alvin McKinley aren't cutting it, but since Sedrick Ellis is gone and the next best DT, either Pat Sims or Kentwan Balmer, being a major reach at the #12 pick in the first round. So, they have to look at another need. They could use FS, to replace aging 36 year old John Lynch, but the next best safety after Kenny Philips isn't even close to a first round talent. DE could be a possibility with Quentin Groves or Derrick Harvey but Denvers DE are good, but the do need some depth for a better rotation but you dont go after that in the first round. With Travis Henry's future up in the air a RB might be a possibility but with Selvin Young producing last year, i dont see them getting a RB until later in the draft. That leaves us with a BIG need for the Broncos. Linebackers. With Keith Rivers Being one of the best players available, Kieth Rivers, it is a no brainer pick.

So With the 12th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft the Denver Broncos select.....

USC OLB Keith Rivers
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AXYE-hXNN-c
clear.gif

clear.gif

Keith Rivers, USC

Height: 6-1. Weight: 236.
40 Time: 4.57.
Projected Round: Top 20 Pick.

Keith Rivers made a number of tremendous plays at Washington, including one tackle where he chased down Huskies quarterback Jake Locker from a few yards away and pulled him down before he had a chance of crossing the first-down line.

Career Stats at USC
year.gp.tkls.tfl.sack..int
total.48..235..18...5.5..2

Interesting choices left Carolina. Carolina Panthers after much deliberation takes Running Back Rashard Mendenhall from Illinois. This pick really came dow to Mendenhall and Stewart at RB and a receiver. We feel receivers will be available later so it simply came down to Stewart and Mendenhall. Its basically a toss up between the two but we like the pass catching ability of Mendenhall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27cxAs7mGSs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL1fQuscKYk

Personally we felt that Deangelo Williams an Deshaun Foster werent cutting it anymore and felt that one of them had to be replaced. We expect Mendenhall to be our feature back and take pressure off of Delhomme.

With the 14th pick in the Draft, the Chicago Bears select...
Jeff Otah, OT Pittsburgh

I think Quarterback is the biggest need for Chicago, but with Ryan and Brohm gone there isn't a QB of value here. Otah is huge (6-6, 340) and athletic. Chicago was 30th in rushing YPG last season, and the struggling QBs, while not exactly stellar on their own, certainly weren't helped by the miniscule amount of time they had in the pocket. WR and LB were also a consideration here, but in the end the pick goes to Otah, who will hopefully anchor a resurgent Chicago O-line for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom