Mock Draft Game: Rounds 1-3 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mock Draft Game: Rounds 1-3

With the 13th pick in the 2nd Round, the Chicago Bears select:
Chad Henne, QB University of Michigan
clear.gif

Chicago needs a player who can truly lead the offense, a player who can step in almost immediately. A four-year starter in the Big Ten, Chad Henne is seemingly one of the most "battle-ready" quarterbacks in this draft. He can throw the deep ball, played against top competition, and, though it may seem trivial, is used to the cold, terrible weather that comes with the harsh Chicago winter. As with any prospect, there are concerns (with durability probably being the largest), but part of that may be due to his four years starting, which put him under the microscope for far longer than any other quarterback here. With Henne under center and Otah at LT, Chicago's offensive prowess can hopefully begin to match that of the team's renowned defense.

With the 14th pick of the 2nd round, the Lions are delighted to select the highest player remaining from our board....

Branden Albert, OG, Virginia.

Branden is far and away the best interior linemen prospect in this draft, and is so talented, he may be capable of sliding out to a tackle position. A simply mammoth of a man at 6-7, 315 lbs, Branden will anchor our line for years to come, and help open holes for our new RB Jonathan Stewart.

With the 15th pick in the 2nd round, the Bengals select OLB Ali Highsmith from LSU. With so many gaps on the defensive side of the ball, Highsmith represented the best value at a position of need.

The Minnesota Vikings 2nd Round Selection is….

Defensive End Lawrence Jackson Southern California

clear.gif

Name: Lawrence Jackson
Born: August 30, 1985

Hometown: Inglewood, CA
Height: 6-5
Weight: 265 lbs

Pos: DE
Class: Junior
40 yard dash: 4.83

60 Tackles, 17 TOL, 10.5 Sacks

Now that you’ve met Lawrence, here’s why the Vikings decided to go with the lightning fast speed rusher from Southern California.

Pass rush has been a problem for the Vikings the past couple of years and we feel if we get pressure on the QB, we’ll have the NFL’s best defense. The decision also became easier in the wake of the news that Kenechi Udeze was diagnosed with leukemia.

Lawrence is capable of taking over a football game all by himself on any given Sunday. In the Rose Bowl, he singled handedly disrupted the Illinois offense and it was that performance that changed Lawrence’s decision to go to the NFL. With Pat and Kevin Williams working inside and taking on double teams, we are confident that Jackson will get to the quarterback frequently.

Other options:

This was really our one and only choice. After our Kelly pick, we were praying that Jackson would fall into our laps with this pick and we got our wish. Receiver and defensive end are our biggest needs and we feel like we got the best player available while filling our needs with both picks.

If we were to go another direction, it would’ve been either quarterback or cornerback. Joe Flacco and Chad Henne were the QB’s we had our eye on but with them off the board, no QB gives us proper value here.

The other option was cornerback but we still feel with the depth of this cornerback class, we can land a blue chip prospect later in the draft.

With the 17 Pick in the 2nd Round the Atlanta Falcons Select Chris Johnson RB ECU Pirates

clear.gif

With Warrick Dunn at the end of his career and Norwood having durability issues the Falcons needed a back who can come in and contribute. Johnson showed that he has all the tools to be a solid NFL back and has the speed to go the distance ever time he touches the ball. With Matt Ryan and Anthony Collins already in the fold the Falcons have to players to be very good on offense for years to come.

With the 18th pick in the 2nd round the Philadelphia Eagles select,

c59775fc2c6b4566b667fefek2-1.jpg

CHARLES GODFREY CB, Iowa
Height: 6-1
Weight: 208
40 Time: 4.40

With this pick the Philadelphia Eagles look to add depth to their cornerback position. Charles Godfrey will be a great addition to the already stellar duo of Sheldon Brown and Lito Shepard.

with the 18th pick in the 2nd round of the 2008 NFL Draft the Arizona Cardinals select.....

CB Antoine Cason 6'0 - 185 lbs
hu_071206ncf_thorpe1v-1.jpg

Wow we were shocked to see the Jim Thorpe winner was still around. We felt he was a Top 4 CB coming out and are very pleased to pick the hometown boy to play for us.
We feel Antoine is an agressive defensive playmaker and a great man to man corner who will soon be a top shut-down corner in this league.

With their second round pick, the Washington Redskins welcome...
Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State

medium_070901devinthomaspointsatsky-1.jpg

This 6'2" 220 lb. WR will perfectly complement Santana Moss and will help Antwan Randel El strive in the system. The Washington Redskins welcome this great player to their organization with open arms.

With the 21st pick in the second round the Tampa Bay Buc's select...
clear.gif

TE, John Carlson, Notre Dame

Basically, Carlson is the best player on the board. The Bucs really wanted to either pick up a solid WR or a DT, but no one warranted this pick. John Carlson would be an instant up-grade over Anthony Becht. Carlson would team up nicely with Alex Smith in the 2 TE set that the Bucs like to run.

Due to the fact that the Pittsburgh GM hasn't logged in for about 11 days (and only has 6 posts for that matter), I will make the selection for him instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt.

With their second round selection, the Pittsburgh Steelers selection...

Chilo Rachal, OG, USC

20061102_013106_15-1.jpg

With Al Faneca leaving via free agency, it leaves Pittsburgh with a huge hole to fill. Rachal will fill that void as he will likely take over for Faneca.

In a continued effort to bolster one of the worst passing games in the NFL, The Tennessee Titians select with their 2nd round selection:
MARTELLUS BENNETT, TE, TEXAS A&M

TXCOL101091600_1024x768-1.jpg

I feel in order to improve our passing game we need a big TE to throw the ball to , and Bennett seems like a perfect fit to work with Vince Young. When Young was at UT, he loved throwing to his TE David Thomas, who happens to hold the Longhorns career records for receptions for TE's. So this is just another weapon for Young to use to increase their offensive scoring next season.

Granted the Titians had other neds such as DL, OL, and CB, but those needs can be addressed later in the draft or through free agency but our #1 priority this offseason was to incease scoring for the offense that was why Bennett was the pick!

With the 24 pick in the 2nd rpind the Seattle Seahawks select: Simeon Castille S Alabama

A hard-hitting safety who can also play in the nickel corner spot. Castille (6'1 189lbs0, is very solid against the run and is a good tackler.
Castille has good bloodline, both his father, Jeremiah and his brother Tim played for the Crimson Tide and in the NFL.
He will bring a physical presence to the Seahawks secondary.

With the 25th pick in the 2nd round the Cleveland Browns select JEROD MAYO, LB, TENNESSEE.

jmayo7586150ih7-1.jpg

Name:Jerod Mayo
College:Tennessee
Height:6'2
Weight:235
Position:ILB

The Browns would benefit from Mayo. Mayo helped himself by kicking *** last 4 games of the season. He racked up big games between Kentucky and LSU. Browns would love to add much needed depth at the LB position. McGinest will be entering his 15th season and the Browns have seen injuries at LB.

With TE’s Matellus Bennett and John Carlson off the board I feel 100 times better about my pick of Fred Davis at 32(I thought those 3 guys were the top TE’s and I wanted to get one of them). With the 26th pick in round 2 I am very pleased to select Carl Nicks OT from Nebraska. He is a big Parcell’s type lineman standing at 6-5, 343 pounds who has good feet for his size and build. According to most all reports I read, Nicks was one of the standout performers all week at the Senior Bowl. This guy is a beast who will pair with Carey as our bookend OT’s of the future. Here is a small video of Carl Nicks from the senior bowl…

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bz9k1hE_-aQ

Pick 27 - Jacksonville Jaguars - Chris ELLIS - Viginia Tech - Defensive end.

ellis-1.jpg

This was tough. There were a few players that I was looking at. I believe that we are set at QB & RB, & WR was looked after with the 1st pick, so it left me with safety, CB or DE. The best player availabe for a defense that needed a spark & really needed a a rushing end is Chris Ellis. 1st round talent but with some baggage, 6'5, 260 lb end & a 4.75 40, 52 games, 22 sacks.

Overall, I think a solid pick for the jags.

Back
Top Bottom