****Mock Draft Super Thread**** | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

****Mock Draft Super Thread****

Actually if we lost the last 2 games we would be drafting 4th instead of 5th. Not quite the big payoff you were hoping for?

Really I was under the understanding that it went by wins and loses first
We'd be 3-13
Detriot 3-12 and 1
Giants 4-12
Washington 3-13 but with a tie we'd be ahead...

Puts us at the 2nd pk.

Bengals #1 at 2-14

Last edited:
Actually if we lost the last 2 games we would be drafting 4th instead of 5th. Not quite the big payoff you were hoping for?

No if they would have lost the last two games I believe they would be drafting 2nd overall at worst and maybe got the 1st pick since the Bengals won their final game against the Browns.

OH excuse me, 5-11 . Now there's a season to be glue to the TV.....

3-13 wow, thats just so much worse than 5-11.

Truthfully if my Dolphins were winning and in the SB hunt I couldn't care less what some of the bottom feeders were doing. Its kind of like we were this year so, you want to watch year after year of a total failure ? Thats better ?

Lose the last two game and we are in a significantly better situation to get better. And thats what its all about IMO.

"Failure" ,, been there and did that more than my share

It's not just about watching football during our bad seasons. It's about the integrity of the game. If poor teams lose on purpose, that effects the top teams. If the Dolphins lost to the Pats in week 17, the Pats get the bye, the Chiefs don't. Maybe the Chiefs get knocked out in round 1, or maybe they suffer an injury they otherwise wouldn't have and lose later. Maybe the Pats are the Superbowl champs this year with that bye. Teams like the '07 Giants maybe don't make the playoffs if a bad team loses to the team competing with those Giants for the last playoff spot.

It's also about being able to enjoy each and every game when your team is good. Wins against non-playoff contending teams would have no meaning if they are losing on purpose. If the Dolphins were a top team (in a league where the bottom teams lose on purpose) why would I care to watch any Dolphin game against a non-playoff contending team? I know it's going to be a win, there's no point to even watching.

Last edited:
I don’t think the Dolphins will move up because I think the Lions will draft Tua at three and the Redskins will stay at 2 and draft Young.
I think the Dolphins will likely end up drafting Herbert with the fifth pick in the draft.

Stafford just turned 32 last week. Given that the Lions decided to keep their coaching staff and GM I see a zero percent chance they use the 3rd overall pick on a QB. When you are drafting with your job on the line you don’t take a QB when you have a top 15 starting caliber QB already. I get that Stafford has had injury issues in his career, but he is certainly not the reason the Lions haven’t been successful. Failing to build a team around him has always been their issue.

No if they would have lost the last two games I believe they would be drafting 2nd overall at worst and maybe got the 1st pick since the Bengals won their final game against the Browns.

The Redskins (3-13) and Lions (3-12-1) had weaker strength of schedules than us, so if we finished 3-13 we would pick after them. Losing the final two games would leave us picking 4th and the Giants 5th. We had to go 2-14 with our strength of schedule this year to have a chance to pick 1st or 2nd.

Really I was under the understanding that it went by wins and loses first
We'd be 3-13
Detriot 3-12 and 1
Giants 4-12
Washington 3-13 but with a tie we'd be ahead...

Puts us at the 2nd pk.

Bengals #1 at 2-14

As I stated in an above post, draft order goes by wins and strength of schedule. The easier your schedule the earlier you pick compared to other teams with the same amount of wins. The idea is that if 3 teams won 3 games the team with the weakest strength of schedule is the “worst” team and they pick first. As Miami had a higher strength of schedule than the Redskins and Lions we would pick 4th in any scenario where we won 3 games. The amount of losses (and ties) a team ends up with has nothing to do with draft order. Nor does beating, or losing to, a team with the same amount of wins.

I don’t think the Dolphins will move up because I think the Lions will draft Tua at three and the Redskins will stay at 2 and draft Young.
I think the Dolphins will likely end up drafting Herbert with the fifth pick in the draft.

That would be brutal.

Moving up is going to cost us. This is why many of us were against meaningless wins.
Ya, but on the flip side of this, I think it will help us in FA as the team showed promise with good coaching and the draft picks we have. If we would have only won a game or two, a lot of FA's may not have even been looking to come here unless they just wanted money.

If Tua is Miami's choice. I feel confident they can make a trade with Washington to move up.

As the successful teams have proven, all other positions are moving parts with the salary cap.

The Redskins (3-13) and Lions (3-12-1) had weaker strength of schedules than us, so if we finished 3-13 we would pick after them. Losing the final two games would leave us picking 4th and the Giants 5th. We had to go 2-14 with our strength of schedule this year to have a chance to pick 1st or 2nd.

3-12-1 is a better record than 3-13. The Dolphins would have been picking ahead of the Lions.

It's not just about watching football during our bad seasons. It's about the integrity of the game. If poor teams lose on purpose, that effects the top teams. If the Dolphins lost to the Pats in week 17, the Pats get the bye, the Chiefs don't. Maybe the Chiefs get knocked out in round 1, or maybe they suffer an injury they otherwise wouldn't have and lose later. Maybe the Pats are the Superbowl champs this year with that bye. Teams like the '07 Giants maybe don't make the playoffs if a bad team loses to the team competing with those Giants for the last playoff spot.

It's also about being able to enjoy each and every game when your team is good. Wins against non-playoff contending teams would have no meaning if they are losing on purpose. If the Dolphins were a top team (in a league where the bottom teams lose on purpose) why would I care to watch any Dolphin game against a non-playoff contending team? I know it's going to be a win, there's no point to even watching.

Fair point and I'm not in the persuasion to put down integrity.

For me the whole year was setup to a degree of breaking down for the purpose of rebuilding a much better and highly more talented team ( is that losing on purpose, getting rid of quality players making your team weaker the up coming season, additional holes to fill. ? , yes but ? ). Rebuilding usually comes with the understanding of not being real competitive for that time period and not a on going predicament. Right or wrong it is and always has been an aspect of the game.

What 1-13 with 2 games left. We desperately need a QB and Tua's there... I mean lets not be stupid. Loss to the Bengals and with the Pats we'd have been #1( imagine were sitting here today with the #1 pick ). So after this debacle of a season we have the potential of actually in the words of Marlon Brando, " We could have been a contender "... Still might but we made it a bit more complicated than it had to be if we just lost those 2 games most of us have already forgot about. Hey JMO

Hey but I do understand and respect your view, just feel that its OK to play within the rules if applicable...

If my sense is gauging this FO and Coaching staff accurately after a year+ of close observation, one thing they WILL NOT DO is reach. Now, it's possible they will have conviction about a player and do what it takes to get him. That's an entirely different thing, and won't be reaching in their minds.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure they won't give a hoot about applying misguided hindsight to this franchise's history of apparently missing on players (Brees, for example). They will do what they think is best for THIS team. Why the hell would they let past iterations of Dolphins FO failures or miscues influence their thinking at all? They have no reason to, whatsoever. They will apply self-interest and what's good for the future of the team in their view. That is exactly what they are PAID to do. Most of those issues were from before Ross was the owner, anyway.

For now, whatever they end up doing, I'm on board with it.

Last edited:
How does fans being excited or not over "meaningless wins" have anything to do with what IDFinFan said?

I guess unless you feel the fans rooting for wins have some magical ability to will their team to victories from the couch....
It's like some people think it's our fault for enjoying the wins. I say it's their fault because they didn't bemoan the wins hard enough. :chuckle:

Back
Top Bottom