Mort Reports on Ricky | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mort Reports on Ricky

Originally posted by T-ROCK

Me, too... with one exception... no games with 40, 50 , or even 60 yards...

228 against the Bills was great, but we lost...

ricky will only get 1500 yds this year. but thats a good thing. ill leave that to all of you to figure out.

Originally posted by NYRicky34
First of all, last year PROVED once and for all that a great running back makes the offensive line, not vice versa. Ricky was running absolutely WILD behind last year's OL, which happens to be this year's OL just with more young talent.

My young grasshopper, I disagree with you.

Here is why. Give Ricky the ball with a O line that consists of merely 4'11 105lbs guys. How far will Ricky get when the opposing team steps over those small guys? Not far at all. You see, you need a good line to help block for you and to open holes in the defensive line. A RB will not make the Oline any better then what they are. He simply shows the results of their efforts by yardage gained due to their abilities.

Originally posted by IceStorm

My young grasshopper, I disagree with you.

Here is why. Give Ricky the ball with a O line that consists of merely 4'11 105lbs guys. How far will Ricky get when the opposing team steps over those small guys? Not far at all. You see, you need a good line to help block for you and to open holes in the defensive line. A RB will not make the Oline any better then what they are. He simply shows the results of their efforts by yardage gained due to their abilities.

You have to have some blocking, but a running back does make the offensive line look good or bad. Last year, Ricky made them look a lot better than what they really are.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
You have to have some blocking, but a running back does make the offensive line look good or bad. Last year, Ricky made them look a lot better than what they really are.

Correct he makes them look good because he's gaining yardage. But he's only gaining yardage because of the good job they're doing up front. And vice versa.

Like I said, the RB performance is directly proportionate to that of how good/bad a O line you have. Kind of like a team effort. One doesn't fair too well without the other.

But if our O line isn't up to snuff on run blocking, I don't see Ricky getting anywhere near 1500 next season.

There were numerou times last year when Ricky was stuffe din the backfield and was able to push ahead and break tackles for positive yards. I am not saying you have to have no talents hacks on the line, but plus thre makes the line look a lot better then negative 2 on yards gained. I think it is safe to say that you need a quality offensive line that can look good to great, if you have a great runningback.

4'11 105 lbs absurd analogy. seems to me we have the same line intact from last yr, pending nails recovery. are you trying to say if rickey's healthy 16 games he wont average little over 93 yds a game. behind our current line? guess he wont he's a nobody(absurd) the only way he doesn't reach it ,would be if we passed for 350 yds a gm.

I`ll keep this short....I sure enjoyed watching that kid run with the football last year.

Originally posted by Va.fin fan
4'11 105 lbs absurd analogy.

Then you missed the part where someone stated that the RB is what makes the O line good. By using that analogy, you can have a line of 4'11 players and if your RB is good, he'll make them look good. Right? Nope. Thats why I disagreed with that statement.

My statement is that the O line isn't good because of the RB, but that the RB makes them look good by achieving positive yardage. His gain proves they are doing a good job.

What..

..what are you saying? The RB you have in the backfield makes a HUGE difference. Or do you think Lamar Smith would have gotten anywhere near the same yardage as Ricky last year? What a damper you are trying to throw on our enthusiasm for Ricky. We bring this guy, we lead the league in rushing after Lamar didn't crack 1000 the year before. Now you say he's nothing without the O-line? I don't know how to even begin explaining this to someone who thinks so little of our running back. But I'll try:
Ricky Williams + our O-line last year = League's Leading Rusher
Me(Tara) + our O-line last year = woman lying dead in the backfield.

Originally posted by IceStorm
Ricky being bigger and stronger really won't mean a thing. You see, Ricky won't get a yard if our O Line isn't up to snuff. So lets see how well they do before we get all giddy about Ricky. Remember, Ricky's a nobody without his blocking force.

DEAD WRONG....a good oline helps but to say that ricky is nothing w/o his oline is unffair the guy oozes iwth talent and is blessed with physical skills i think that was an unjust comment

ricky makes an average line look good, a good line look great and a great line look legendary...its the same thing emmit did in dallas...when they had a great line it went down as legendary when it was decent he still made it look good and when the line was getting older (and more drugged up) he still made them look like one of the best in the league...dont get me wrong not all running backs can do this but some like ricky and emmit and the other elite can do it

PS-none of them could do anything wit h4'11 105 its just not possible

Hate to admit it, but this guy is head and shoulders above any RB in this league IMO. Did I just say that?

It's funny.... what was meant to be a complement about Ricky, has turned into a debate. :D

I'll just say that I enjoy watching Ricky run and can't unitil this season!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by jasmine34
It's funny.... what was meant to be a comment about Ricky, has turned into a debate. :D

I'll just say that I enjoy watching Ricky run and can't unitil this season!!

No kidding, is it August yet???

Re: What..

Originally posted by erralyn

Ricky Williams + our O-line last year = League's Leading Rusher
Me(Tara) + our O-line last year = woman lying dead in the backfield. [/B]

:lol: :lol: I could just see myself now lying there knocked out and the ambulance on the field putting me in the back of the truck and all the football players standing around with that sorrowful look on their faces.

Back
Top Bottom