Mort Reports on Ricky | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mort Reports on Ricky

Well, the O-line's job is done once he passes through the hole.

The rest is all Rick (and the WR and peeps downfield trying to pick up blocks)..

I'll make the argument that Ricky's vision makes the Offensive Line seem great. But you do have to know your blockers in order to read the blocks. It is a team game.

Guess Ice Storm didn't watch any Saints games in 1999 and 2000....

At the pro level, there isn`t a huge difference in O linemen, imo. They`re all + or - 300 lbs. Some have a little better technic and attitude than others but the difference at that level is minimul. Well, this should start some ****. I`m going to bed. lol

Ricky made a line, that was considered around the league to be unable to run block, seem like all-stars. RBs make OLs look great, more than great OLs make RBs look great....especially in this situ.

Stronger, faster and more endurance? Are you kidding? If he stays healthy the next 3-4 years, he will be considered one of the all-time greats. His power is excellent but his breakaways are unbelievable given his size. Virtually every long run he made last year left me in awe. It just stuns you to see a guy with that ability.

by your post i dont know what you were trying to say. it sounded like to me, you took what should have been positive news about a player getting into better shape than he was last yr, to take a shot at the oline then preceeded to say that players nothing .try to cover up that gaff with the 4'11 105lbs deal, to prove your point . this line did good last yr and the rb did his job and then some.

rumor is henry has shed 10 pounds too and has his body fat down from 10% to 4%. running faster and stronger. travis seems to be using the mcgahee pick to light even more fire under him, even after his 1400+ yard season last year.

looks like him and ricky went to train at the same school of hard knocks this offseason.. they had some great head to head battles last year.. both did very well. ricky did better but henry went home a winner.

should be fun again this year.

word is martin is doing well too.

antwain smith came to minicamp fat and out of shape though :lol:

if i were a bills fan that would sound pos. to me. but why slap this guy in the face with that pick? is it the money issue when he comes up for fa? it always seems that teams do this so they wont have to pony up the higher salary when they become fa's but in they end up paying the next guy stepping in close to the same money there player was asking for. because they have no leverage once they let the proven guy go.
colts let faulk go and pay james the big bucks
bledso gets let go because of high salary to pay brady lg salary .
martin traded for that purpose and the pats are still looking for a rb
do you think the bills will pull the same thing with henry?

Its incredible that Ricky isn't getting comfortable and just sitting on his haunches after a season like that.

But he was 147 yards shy of a 2000 yard season. He wants that 2000 yard season I think. He wants to break the single season rushing record. He can do that in Miami in Norv Turner's offense he knows that because he knows they will give him the ball. In fact if anything there were times we didnt give him the ball ENOUGH, in some games his 2nd half touches were nowhere what they should have been.

But Ricky will have to be even better than last year just to reproduce the success. The division has gotten heftier on D, with Takeo Spikes, Rosevelt Colvin, Sam Adams, Ty Warren, and Dwayne Robertson being added to the division. I doubt he'll be able to get 200+ yards on Buffalo again like that.

Everyone knows about Ricky now, and they SHOULD know he can bust out the huge runs but somethin tells me they'll go on doubting, until he does it to them AGAIN, so I'm thinkin he'll bust some more bigguns

BTW yes a RB can make an OL but only with the help of a great play-calling OC like Norv Turner. Turner made that line as much as Ricky, the play-calling, keeping a D guessing, cant stress how much that helps. Ask Mark Dixon.

Originally posted by Va.fin fan
1. if i were a bills fan that would sound pos. to me. but why slap this guy in the face with that pick?

2. do you think the bills will pull the same thing with henry?

1. i dont think it is a slap in the face.. the bottom line is, you can NEVER have too many good running backs.. as long as henry is playing well, he has nothing to worry about... and he has taken that attitude by having his best offseason to date.

2. henry is signed for 3 more years.. he just signed a 1 year extension through 2005. he is dirt cheap. the most he will make is 1.5 mill in 2005. i think personally that they will both be there for a while.

this is not something new to football.. teams try to load up on RBs all the time.. the best man wins.. denver drafted portis in the 2nd with all the talent they had.. the giants drafted dayne while tiki was doing fine (turns out dayne sucks).. the jets drafted Jordan while having martin there.. hell.. in emmits prime, the drafted that kid from alabama.. sherman williams i think his name was.. with a first round pick.. and emmit just kept running..

i think henry has settled down.. he had a typical reaction like anyone would.. but they are working together fine now.. and WM is months away from even setting foot on the field. gary poses a bigger threat right now..

and no matter what.. we are set in case of injuries..

the thought of WM playing in december is exciting though.. if he is able to recover like they say he is.. pound them with TH for half the game.. then watch them try to catch WM.. sounds good in theory at least.

i didnt know henry still had 3 yrs on his contract, i agree that you cant have enuff back ups.
i dont think henry has to worry to much about gary tho.
to me henry's a more complete back than gary he has alot of upside.
but you notice dallas paid emmit and didn't let him go.
i guess i combined two topics and confused things. lets put it like this say henry continues to improve beyond expectations runs for 1600 this yr with 800yds rec and holds out to redo his contract, do you let him go or trade him and wind up paying an unproven player about the same doe cause once they let him go it always seems like the next guy threatens to holdout for more coin . i guess thats what i was realy shooting for. or do you reward him and keep him like dallas did with emmit ?

Originally posted by Muck
Mort just said on ESPN that Ricky Williams is in even better shape than last season......and that the coaches say there is a noticable difference in his speed, strength, and endurance from last season....where he gained 1,853 yards.

Oh man. Does that spell trouble for the rest of the league. LOOK OUT!! :yell:

WHOA ...this guy is scary good. :eek: the only thing that worried me about this guy was that he could've easily rested on his laurels after proving the cynics wrong. geez, we only got this guy for two #1's...previous miami #1 draft picks:

john bosa
eric kumerow
john avery
billy milner
yatil green

and saving the best for last

**drumroll**

sammie "i generally cough up the ball anywhere on the field, but my favorite spot is on the 1 yard line with the game on the line" smith

Re: Re: Mort Reports on Ricky

Originally posted by Fiedler for MVP
sammie "i generally cough up the ball anywhere on the field, but my favorite spot is on the 1 yard line with the game on the line" smith

You know how to make a guy really hurt don't you?

Back
Top Bottom