Mort Reports on Ricky | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mort Reports on Ricky

Originally posted by Va.fin fan
i didnt know henry still had 3 yrs on his contract, i agree that you cant have enuff back ups.
i dont think henry has to worry to much about gary tho.
to me henry's a more complete back than gary he has alot of upside.
but you notice dallas paid emmit and didn't let him go.
i guess i combined two topics and confused things. lets put it like this say henry continues to improve beyond expectations runs for 1600 this yr with 800yds rec and holds out to redo his contract, do you let him go or trade him and wind up paying an unproven player about the same doe cause once they let him go it always seems like the next guy threatens to holdout for more coin . i guess thats what i was realy shooting for. or do you reward him and keep him like dallas did with emmit ?

i would say that if henry puts up those numbers and stops fumbling, they keep him.. and he wont hold out.. because if he did, the bills have the upperhand.. they would let him sit for 2 more years..

but just for arguements sake.. lets say that we are talking about 2004.. so henry only has the final year on his deal, and wants a raise.. and that mcgahee has really turned it on and performed well..

the bills would trade the worse back.. and keep the best one.. but hopefully, we have a superbowl run within the next 2 years (which is the time line that donahoe was working on).. then all this may change too... say the bills win the SB in 2004.. are still in extremely good cap position like they are now, and that situation arises.. they may try to keep both if it just got them a superbowl win..

who knows..

i noticed your name too.. i am from richmond, va.. you?

CK stole my thunder. I had read this whole thread without seeing anyone mention Norv Turner. As much as Ricky did for that line, Norv Turner equaled it. It's so much fun to just sit there and look at replays over and over. Plays that show the blocking schemes Norv brings. There's so much misdirection. So much movement. And the pre-snap motion and alteration just compounds things. It's very confusing to a defense. And it's that much more dangerous because of Ricky's vision and patience in how he sets up these blocks and waits for his opening. He usually doesn't go for the biggest/most obvious hole. He'll cutback and find that little crease that nobody else is expecting to open and just bust upfield. This is so tough on a defense.

So to quickly sum up, the RB absolutely makes the OL. We had this discussion at length last summer. It's like Nate Newton said, "We weren't very good. But then we get this guy named Emmitt Smith, and we're a great line".

Norv Turner was the OC back then. (Tony Wise was the OL coach). And he had the line he wanted. Huge/strong guys who couldn't be pushed back. And Emmitt set them up to be great.

Originally posted by Fiedler for MVP

small world...i am also "a fish out of water" so to speak, here in chesterfield county, va...just south of richmond :cool:

im actually in midlothian. south of richmond.

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
Stronger, faster and more endurance? Are you kidding? If he stays healthy the next 3-4 years, he will be considered one of the all-time greats. His power is excellent but his breakaways are unbelievable given his size. Virtually every long run he made last year left me in awe. It just stuns you to see a guy with that ability.

I'm sorry but I just have to laugh when he breaks those long runs.

Of course it's great (I'm cheering at the same time)But, Ricky is a THICK dude and when I see him break long runs with those lil stubby legs a movin (they look like it from TV anyway) it just cracks me up. I love it.

It also doesn't even seem like he's going that fast from TV. We all know he is, but maybe it's just his style of running or something or that he doesn't take very long strides? YOu just see those feet kickin'! :lol:

Originally posted by Tatonka
rumor is henry has shed 10 pounds too and has his body fat down from 10% to 4%. running faster and stronger. travis seems to be using the mcgahee pick to light even more fire under him, even after his 1400+ yard season last year.

looks like him and ricky went to train at the same school of hard knocks this offseason.. they had some great head to head battles last year.. both did very well. ricky did better but henry went home a winner.

should be fun again this year.

word is martin is doing well too.

antwain smith came to minicamp fat and out of shape though :lol:

You ended up in 4th place. You're all losers ;).
Anyway, I heard Martin is still hurt and trying to treat that knee or ankle? I don't remember.
Let's hope Martin doesn't bounce back to full potential ;)

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Its incredible that Ricky isn't getting comfortable and just sitting on his haunches after a season like that.

But he was 147 yards shy of a 2000 yard season. He wants that 2000 yard season I think. He wants to break the single season rushing record. He can do that in Miami in Norv Turner's offense he knows that because he knows they will give him the ball. In fact if anything there were times we didnt give him the ball ENOUGH, in some games his 2nd half touches were nowhere what they should have been.

But Ricky will have to be even better than last year just to reproduce the success. The division has gotten heftier on D, with Takeo Spikes, Rosevelt Colvin, Sam Adams, Ty Warren, and Dwayne Robertson being added to the division. I doubt he'll be able to get 200+ yards on Buffalo again like that.

Everyone knows about Ricky now, and they SHOULD know he can bust out the huge runs but somethin tells me they'll go on doubting, until he does it to them AGAIN, so I'm thinkin he'll bust some more bigguns

BTW yes a RB can make an OL but only with the help of a great play-calling OC like Norv Turner. Turner made that line as much as Ricky, the play-calling, keeping a D guessing, cant stress how much that helps. Ask Mark Dixon.

I just don't wanna see Ricky in Terrel Davis shape in his 7th year.

What happened to that guy? I know he had GREAT seasons when healthy (2008 one season), but I don't follow him. Is it his knees? Also, hopefully the D in our division DON'T concentrate so much on Ricky which will make it even easier this year. I think they're all scared though ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
^^terrell davis was ALWAYS injury prone...even in college. the scouts didnt miss his talent, they just didnt get to see much of it at UGA. played behind garrison hearst in 1992, started 6 games in 1993, and missed most of his senior season with injuries. i think ricky's problem was playing 20 pounds over his normal playing weight at NO...and on turf.

Back
Top Bottom