Most underrated/overrated Dolphins of all time? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most underrated/overrated Dolphins of all time?

Interestingly, if someone is constantly offered as underrated, then they probably weren't/ aren't actually. So I'll pick someone no one mentions ( I think) and no one agrees with (LOL) as truly underrated:

The most underrated Dolphin of the last 10 to 20 years is 2014 Offensive coordinator Bill Lazor. He has 1 year to judge him on - 2014, as he stopped being the OC early in 2015, going down with the Philbin ship. 2014's offense was the best of the last decade -easily. 7th DVOA, 10th scoring, top 10-15 by a variety of metrics. (yes it's sad, but that's the best offense we've had). The offense was innovative for it's time, and I think exciting and imaginative. FWIW national power rankings, on average, were the highest of the decade for the Dolphins for much of the year ( not the beginning or the end). The talent, while not terrible, was nothing special, and not much different than most of the last 10-15 years. ( I don't see anyone praising Jeff Ireland's amazing personel moves and drafts of the early 2010's)

So Lazor is either forgotten or considered bad to terrible, but he schemed the best offense in a decade or more for us, even if he wasn't great by any means. That's the stone cold definition of "underrated".

Jason Taylor was the most over rated imho! got most of his sacks when we were already beat! very few if any game changing plays

Jason Taylor was the most over rated imho! got most of his sacks when we were already beat! very few if any game changing plays
I disagree. He was great.

Besides, how many guys get into the HoF on a team that never did anything? Guys like Namath and Swann are guys that are overrated and get in because their team won a SB(s)

How was he underrated? He was Rookie of the Year, 5-time Pro Bowler, 2-time All-Pro. Yeah, all within his first five years, but he was injured his last three years. Would've been nice to get more than five quality years out of him, but he definitely got recognition when he was healthy. Nobody underrated him then.
He was one of my favorites

I suspect that if this were a poll that at almost any given point in time whomever is the current Dolphins QB would win both categories. That goes for Josh Rosen, Ryan Tannehill, Tua, John Beck, Chad Henne .... perhaps almost all of our QB's since Marino.

97-04 defense, most overrated
Ronnie Brown, overrated
The JJ-Wanny defense is a great answer, as is Ronnie Brown-- good job.

I'll add the last ten seasons of the Shula regime (1986-1995): missed the playoffs 60% of the time in that stretch, including 4 years in a row with prime Marino. And even when they did get in, they'd quickly flame out after the wildcard round (with the exception of 1992 which didn't end well in any case).

Most underrated: Ray Finkle. He made some good kicks for us, he shouldn't be defined by just one kick.

Just been sitting here thinking about Dolphins teams of the past and which players from those teams were underrated and overrated by the fans and the league in general. Just thought it would be interesting to see who ya'll thought in this regard? I am just going with the Dolphins I have seen play, but feel free to talk about Dolphins players overall even if never seen them play.

My pick for underrated:

Tim Ruddy-Center

Most O-lineman are unsung heroes and Ruddy is a prime example of that. Barely missed any games over his career, and was the leader of our O line under Shula, and then Jimmy J, and then Wannstedt. Loved watching him play, and he made me want to be a center when I was playing football myself.

Overrated:

Might be too obvious, but have to go with Joey Porter. Not just for the money we gave him, but just his play in general. Yes, he had a good 2008 season but rest of his time here was a vast disappointment.

As others have done I'm going coach...

Overrated

Nick Saban

Underrated

Tannehill...kid got a raw go

How dare you he got that pick 6 in NY off Favre that knocked the Jets out...I was at that game and it was awesome

In 117 wins Taylor had 86 sacks, 6 INT, 53 PD, 26 FF, and 18 FR, 3 safeties, and 8 TDs
In 116 losses Taylor had 53.5 sacks, 2 INT, 34 PD, 16 FF, 11 FR, and 1 TDs

You couldn't be more wrong.

Back
Top Bottom