Most underrated/overrated Dolphins of all time? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most underrated/overrated Dolphins of all time?

Underrated:
Adewale “Wale” Ogunleye - had 9.5 sacks in 2002 and followed up with 15 sacks in 2003. Was a good run defender and nice bookend for Jason Taylor.

Lamar Smith - his vision to find little creases in the line and hit the hole was amazing. Just a good solid running back with a once in a lifetime playoff performance to beat the Colts, 40 carries for 209 yards. Too bad Wannstedt had run him ragged and we got blanked by the Raiders.

Overrated:
Jeff Cross - Never seen a player more epitomize “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.” No football awareness, and could never get to the quarterback.

Jamar Fletcher - He was a marked man when we took him in round 1 instead of Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, oh, and some guy named DREW BREES. I will never forgive Wannstedt for that.
That said, Jeff Cross was a 12th round draft choice and parlayed it into an eight year, 59.5 sack career.

This is right on the money as far as the consensus at the time. He had a few impressive big games with Chambers and nice grit etc, but always we were thinking "if only we had a good QB". Wasn't AJ Feeley one of the first attempts to upgrade lol, or Griese? Memory does not serve me well.
Both were attempts.

Under-rated

C - Tim Ruddy (durable look at his games played) in his final 4 years the penalties dropped off considerably

Over-rated

TE - Mike “Mr. Mis-Match” Geisicki

Under-appreciated

Tua

Honourable mention under-rated

DE Jeff Cross

Last edited:
How about Ronnie Brown as overrated. Good player but #2 overall pick? Always suffered an injury when it seemed like he was really going to have a great season.
I liked him as an all around back but for a big man he danced at the line too much.

Underrated:
Tim Bowens, Terrell Buckley, Randy Starks

Overrated: Mike Pouncey, Yeremiah Bell
Good list. Starks didn’t get a ton of flash plays but when he did they were at clutch moments. Good player. T-Buck was a big play guy his entire career. Bowens was a monster- his rookie year was awesome knocking the Jets center over on 3 straight plays - all causing fumbles and like a 4th and 40 by the time they kicked it (which we muffed by the way). The fake spike game.

Just been sitting here thinking about Dolphins teams of the past and which players from those teams were underrated and overrated by the fans and the league in general. Just thought it would be interesting to see who ya'll thought in this regard? I am just going with the Dolphins I have seen play, but feel free to talk about Dolphins players overall even if never seen them play.

My pick for underrated:

Tim Ruddy-Center

Most O-lineman are unsung heroes and Ruddy is a prime example of that. Barely missed any games over his career, and was the leader of our O line under Shula, and then Jimmy J, and then Wannstedt. Loved watching him play, and he made me want to be a center when I was playing football myself.

Overrated:

Might be too obvious, but have to go with Joey Porter. Not just for the money we gave him, but just his play in general. Yes, he had a good 2008 season but rest of his time here was a vast disappointment.
You know, I was never a Ruddy fan. He was ok IMO but I felt he got pushed around by bigger, tougher DTs. In hindsight he’s been better than every center since him except possibly Pouncey.

You're right my friend. I did look back at Cross' numbers and he had some 10 sack seasons sprinkled in there.
Jeff Cross' issue was that most of his sacks were in the first half of season. Not sure if he wore down, or something else. Good player, just always better in the first half of the season.

Delvin Williams had a great year in 1978 with us over 1200 rushing yards 4.6 yards a carry and a pro bowl

Dan Marino as underrated. That is simple. Awesome, but sucks is we stick Barry Sanders in the mix for what could have been our Dolphins story. Modern era football team pre that. We tried. Overrated? Our hope every year. I came out the womb a Dolphins fan, but truth. You hear where my hope was.

Back
Top Bottom