Most underrated/overrated Dolphins of all time? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most underrated/overrated Dolphins of all time?

Underrated:
Jim Jenson
Oronde Gadsen
Tim Bowens
Jay Fiedler
Aaron Craver
Gadsden is one of my all time favorite dolphins players. He made so many crazy catches. Injuries killed his career. Also came in on 98 after a few years bouncing around on other teams PS

Maybe. Our D stunk the five good years he was healthy and we missed the playoffs in four of those years. He got plenty of props/awards (deservedly so) when he was healthy. Idt, that constitutes him bring underrated. I was a big fan of his, injuries just cut his career short. People know how good he was.
Yeah he wasn’t underrated. He was a bonafide stud.

Maybe. Our D stunk the five good years he was healthy and we missed the playoffs in four of those years. He got plenty of props/awards (deservedly so) when he was healthy. Idt, that constitutes him bring underrated. I was a big fan of his, injuries just cut his career short. People know how good he was.

He's probably underrated now though because I don't think many non Dolphin fans know or care how good he was.

after leaving Miami......Exactly, This is why he was over rated as a Dolphin.
He was good here too. Used to DOMINATE Stevie Johnson from Buffalo and was the only dolphin I saw blow up that stupid Wes Welker bubble screen that was an automatic 10-15 yards for NE on more than 1 occasion. He also got a couple of picks going man up on Moss. Davis was a good player who used to report out of shape and take some weeks to get going. He was more consistent with his conditioning when he left. I hated to see him go and he later became a pro bowler not that I put much stock in who gets selected to that flag football game/

Gadsden is one of my all time favorite dolphins players. He made so many crazy catches. Injuries killed his career. Also came in on 98 after a few years bouncing around on other teams PS
I remember watching a preseason game the year he tried out for us. It was the 4th quarter and all scabs were in, including our QB. They went on a drive where if I’m not mistaken, every play was a pass to Gadsden - like 7 or 8 plays and 80 yards for a TD w every play going to him. It looked so easy and I said to myself, “this guy looks like he’s playing against high schoolers - no way he doesn’t make the team”. It’s rare when you see that late in a PS game but it was obvious. Years later was it Victor Cruz who roasted the Jets with ease in PS as well and it was obvious he would make the team? Gadsden was a heck of a player.

He was good here too. Used to DOMINATE Stevie Johnson from Buffalo and was the only dolphin I saw blow up that stupid Wes Welker bubble screen that was an automatic 10-15 yards for NE on more than 1 occasion. He also got a couple of picks going man up on Moss. Davis was a good player who used to report out of shape and take some weeks to get going. He was more consistent with his conditioning when he left. I hated to see him go and he later became a pro bowler not that I put much stock in who gets selected to that flag football game/

Your first Pro Bowl selection usually means something. After that? Not so much.

Exactly. Everyone forgets he led us in takeaways during his 3 years here. He had 2, 4 INT seasons and was on the cusp of “pro bowl” recognition. I didn’t understand why Philbin traded him and I still don’t. Sean Smith would have been the guy to trade.

Exactly. Everyone forgets he led us in takeaways during his 3 years here. He had 2, 4 INT seasons and was on the cusp of “pro bowl” recognition. I didn’t understand why Philbin traded him and I still don’t. Sean Smith would have been the guy to trade.
Smith was overrated, that I agree with.

Underrated:

Rob Konrad - poor guy took so much flack from fans and the media for being overdrafted that it was easy to overlook the fact that he was a good fullback
Randy McMichael - just missed the TE revolution by about 5 years. If he had come into a league where TEs were being moved all over the place and acting like WRs half the time he would have put up some crazy numbers
Lousaka Polite - I loved Polite....I'd roll with McDaniel if only to see a revival of the FB position in Miami. It was a beautiful thing watching Ricky run behind a good fullback.
Ronnie Brown - another player that was unfairly judged based on his draft position. If he was a second rounder instead of the #2 overall we'd see him differently.
Karlos Dansby - for the life of me I'll never understand why they let this man walk away. What a stud.
Randy Starks - another guy judged more often by the size of his contract instead of the production on the field. He was overpaid but he was also very good.

Overrated:

Jay Fielder - all heart, no talent. A fun guy to root for but he really held those teams back.
Chris Chambers - Not a bad player...just not what fans thought he'd be when he exploded onto the scene his rookie year
John Beck - we might laugh about it now but there was a time with Beck was going to be the franchise savior.
Matt Moore - decent guy and a solid backup. Not the starter many fans seemed to think he could be.
Reshad Jones - went from underrated to overrated real quick and then faded into nothing.

Yup, Csonka had some big holes to run through. That offensive line was the real deal. Csonka was very good, but he is looked at as great. He is nothing compared to Jim Brown.

Clayton and Duper were good, but Marino made them stars. People don’t understand how great Dan Marino was.
Ok, I get what you're saying, but I don't think ANYONE would ever compare Csonka to Jim Brown. Jim Brown is widely touted as the greatest player of all time, regardless of position.

Yes, the Marks Bros. wouldn't have had the careers they had without Marino, but you can also argue that the other way. You think Marino puts up HOF numbers throwing to Tony Martin, Randall Hill, or Scott Schwedes (no disrespect to Schwedes, he got the most out of his talent)?

Back
Top Bottom