Most underrated/overrated Dolphins of all time? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most underrated/overrated Dolphins of all time?

Under rated

Bill Stanfill
Vern den Herder
Larry Seiple
Bob Brudzinski
Larry Gordon
Tony Nathan
Don McNeal (in coverage, when healthy)
Ed Newman
Joe Rose
Jeff Cross
Terry Kirby
Tim Bowens
Brock Marion
Trace Armstrong
Mark Dixon
Honestly, Bob Griese

Overrated

Chris Chambers
Mark Ingram
Jarvis Williams
Jay Fiedler

Ryan Fitzpatrick was definitely under appreciated his short time here, he was really the best play making QB we've had since Marino.

Underrated:

Zach Thomas - for not being in the HOF

Ryan Fitzpatrick - his leadership of taking a team that was gutted and turning them into winners is way underrated by Dolphin fans.

Rishard Matthews - his final year in Miami, Tannehill has a 137 QB rating throwing to Matthews and around an 80 QB rating throwing to everyone else. Miami could have resigned him for $5 mil per year and chose to let him walk and spent a 3rd, 4th and 6th round pick to draft Carroo the next draft as his replacement.

Overrated:

Chris Chambers - his ability to adjust to the ball in the air is the worst I’ve seen. Similar to Preston Williams had an ugly habit of trying to jump basket catch the ball. Drops galore. In his career, QBs only completed 48.7% of their passes thrown to him.

Rashad Jones - could make the spectacular play, but the price to pay was burnt toast way too many times.

Dante Culpepper - not the injured version, the healthy version. When Miami signed him, I did a piece showing Dante’s numbers when Moss was on the field and when he wasn’t. A healthy Culpepper was garbage when he didn’t have Moss to throw to. Clearly a case where a WR made a QB look so much better than he ever was.
Actually I’d like to revisit that piece because Culpeppers best season came in Mosses most injury riddled where he only contributed 49 catches and about 750 yards. Did have lots of TD’s though.

Under rated

Bill Stanfill
Vern den Herder
Larry Seiple
Bob Brudzinski
Larry Gordon
Tony Nathan
Don McNeal (in coverage, when healthy)
Ed Newman
Joe Rose
Jeff Cross
Terry Kirby
Tim Bowens
Brock Marion
Trace Armstrong
Mark Dixon
Honestly, Bob Griese
That's a truly great underrated list. I would put Griese on top with Stanfill. It's very easy and frankly understandable for younger fans to look at stats and underrate great quarterbacks from that era. There's no way to fully appreciate how differently the game was played and officiated. The 1978 rules changes were the clear cut dividing line between passing games that were suffocated and ones that were freed up. Then nearly an equal boost from 2004 forth.

Stanfill wasn't notably underrated at the time. But somehow his stature never transferred over the decades.

That's a really great call on Don McNeal. He was picked a full round ahead of Dwight Stephenson and it was not debated. Superb coverage skills and instincts when healthy.

Several glory year defenders are underrated today, like Tim Foley and Curtis Johnson and Mike Kolen and Doug Swift. Before the Isaac Curtis Rule I used to laugh like heck when Johnson and Foley would immediately chop the wide receiver at the line of scrimmage, sprawled on the Poly Turf and leaving the poor quarterback without a target.

I'll solo Reshad Jones as most overrated

Underrated:
Adewale “Wale” Ogunleye - had 9.5 sacks in 2002 and followed up with 15 sacks in 2003. Was a good run defender and nice bookend for Jason Taylor.

Lamar Smith - his vision to find little creases in the line and hit the hole was amazing. Just a good solid running back with a once in a lifetime playoff performance to beat the Colts, 40 carries for 209 yards. Too bad Wannstedt had run him ragged and we got blanked by the Raiders.

Overrated:
Jeff Cross - Never seen a player more epitomize “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.” No football awareness, and could never get to the quarterback.

Jamar Fletcher - He was a marked man when we took him in round 1 instead of Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, oh, and some guy named DREW BREES. I will never forgive Wannstedt for that.
I don’t if Fletcher was overrated - everyone could see he was terrible from day 1 and he remained terrible until he was out of the league.

Cross had a decent amount of sacks for his career but during that era our d-line didn’t have any studs on it TJ Turner, Chuck Klingbeil, George Little, Brian Sochia etc - was an undersized line that got pushed around.

Underated - Agree with you guys that said Yeremiah Bell and Brian Hartline. Hartline had an incredible ability to tap his toes on sideline catches and he was all heart.

Overated - Surprised nobody has said Suh. Or maybe he was just overpaid. I'll throw in Channing Crowder and Bobby McCain. Neither were useless by any means. But both held onto starting jobs for a little too long simply because we had nothing better.
Hartline was a very good find but the problem was he was the best we had at the time and was actually our number 1 even though he wasn’t considered a 1, when he’s really a very good 3 or nice 2
Don’t think Suh was under but the problem was he was being paid QB money and a DT would never live up to that kind of money

Last edited:
Sam Madison-Overrated
Olindo Mare-Overrated
Sean Smith-Overrated
DeVante Parker-Overrated
Mike Pouncey-Overrated

Yeremiah Bell-Underrated
Paul Soliai- Underrated
Brandon Fields-Underrated
Lou Polite-Underrated
Brian Hartline-Underrated
Sam Madison??? That's straight up nonsense. Can't believe to read this of all places, a Dolphins forum.

Sam Madison was Xavien Howard way before Xavien Howard. Him and Surtain we're twin lock downs.

Underrated- John Offerdahl He was an all pro level MLB when he was able to play but unfortunately his body just couldn’t withstand the punishment of playing in the NFL.

Overrated- I have seen many overrated players on the Dolphins since 1966. Yet based on where he was drafted and what the Dolphins gave up to move up to the 3rd position in the draft to select him. Dion Jordan was the most overrated player in Dolphin history.

Back
Top Bottom