Most underrated/overrated Dolphins of all time? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most underrated/overrated Dolphins of all time?

Underrated
Howard Twilley
Mercury Morris
Jake Scott
Nat Moore
Zach Thomas
John Offerdahl

Overrated
Larry Csonka
Jim Kiick
Garo Yepremiam
Nick Buonticotti
Mark Clayton
Mark Duper
You either never saw the players you listed as overrated actually play or you are just making fun of this thread.

Other than Yepremian and possibly Kiick, the other 4 on your list are all in the top 15 players ever to put on a Dolphin uniform.

I don’t if Fletcher was overrated - everyone could see he was terrible from day 1 and he remained terrible until he was out of the league.

Cross had a decent amount of sacks for his career but during that era our d-line didn’t have any studs on it TJ Turner, Chuck Klingbeil, George Little, Brian Sochia etc - was an undersized line that got pushed

Underrated- John Offerdahl He was an all pro level MLB when he was able to play but unfortunately his body just couldn’t withstand the punishment of playing in the NFL.
How was he underrated? He was Rookie of the Year, 5-time Pro Bowler, 2-time All-Pro. Yeah, all within his first five years, but he was injured his last three years. Would've been nice to get more than five quality years out of him, but he definitely got recognition when he was healthy. Nobody underrated him then.

Last edited:
Fletcher - he wasn’t even rated he was that bad so he can’t be overrated. Cross - was underrated, good, tough, reliable player, not all that talented, but easily their best all around d-lineman from 89-93. Cox was more a of a linebacker so not counting him as a d-end in that period. Tony Paige - underrated - I actually liked him as much or more than Keith Byars. Plan B free agent turned into Marino’s safety valve. Louis Oliver -overrated - big hitter, nose for the ball, but can’t get over too many big games against Buffalo seeing him smoked by Andre Reed over the top or twisted like a pretzel on a Thurman Thomas screen. Underrated - Mark Dixon and Kevin Donnelly - versatile, tough, smart, linemen, provided so much stability 1999-2002. Wish we had guards that could even sniff that level of consistency. Overrated - Chris Chambers -beautiful circus catches, unstoppable in spurts, but couldn’t dive for a catch in the turf or even catch a ball thrown below his knees.

How was he underrated? He was Rookie of the Year, 5-time Pro Bowler, 2-time All-Pro. Yeah, all within his first five years, but he was injured his last three years. Would've been nice to get more than five quality years out of him, but he definitely got recognition when he was healthy. Nobody underrated him then.
He was a sure fire HOFer had he not gotten hurt.

Fletcher - he wasn’t even rated he was that bad so he can’t be overrated. Cross - was underrated, good, tough, reliable player, not all that talented, but easily their best all around d-lineman from 89-93. Cox was more a of a linebacker so not counting him as a d-end in that period. Tony Paige - underrated - I actually liked him as much or more than Keith Byars. Plan B free agent turned into Marino’s safety valve. Louis Oliver -overrated - big hitter, nose for the ball, but can’t get over too many big games against Buffalo seeing him smoked by Andre Reed over the top or twisted like a pretzel on a Thurman Thomas screen. Underrated - Mark Dixon and Kevin Donnelly - versatile, tough, smart, linemen, provided so much stability 1999-2002. Wish we had guards that could even sniff that level of consistency. Overrated - Chris Chambers -beautiful circus catches, unstoppable in spurts, but couldn’t dive for a catch in the turf or even catch a ball thrown below his knees.
Agree w all of this except Oliver. He was a play maker. Those Bills teams were just too good for us.

Underrated: Jeff Cross and Trace Armstrong
Overrated: Tim Ruddy
Trace was appreciated as both a Bear and a Dolphin. I don’t think he was underrated. Ruddy wasn’t good. Definitely overrated.

You either never saw the players you listed as overrated actually play or you are just making fun of this thread.

Other than Yepremian and possibly Kiick, the other 4 on your list are all in the top 15 players ever to put on a Dolphin uniform.
He must be goofing.

Actually I’d like to revisit that piece because Culpeppers best season came in Mosses most injury riddled where he only contributed 49 catches and about 750 yards. Did have lots of TD’s though.
That would be 2004, the year the refs were told to strictly enforce the no contact with WRs beyond 5 yards. That led to a passing explosion in which Peyton broke Marino’s TD passes record with 49.

The number of QBs throwing 27 or more TDs went from 2 to 9. The number of QBs throwing 3,800+ yards went from 5 to 9. The number of QBs completing 64%+ of passes went from 3 to 9.

The first 5 games before Moss was hurt, Culpepper was on pace to throw 58 TDs and had three 5 TD games. Culpepper averaged 2.72 TD passes when Moss played and 1.8 when he didn’t.

The one game Culpepper did excel in without Moss was against GB throwing 4 TDs in a 34-31 loss.

Last edited:
That's a truly great underrated list. I would put Griese on top with Stanfill. It's very easy and frankly understandable for younger fans to look at stats and underrate great quarterbacks from that era. There's no way to fully appreciate how differently the game was played and officiated. The 1978 rules changes were the clear cut dividing line between passing games that were suffocated and ones that were freed up. Then nearly an equal boost from 2004 forth.

Stanfill wasn't notably underrated at the time. But somehow his stature never transferred over the decades.

That's a really great call on Don McNeal. He was picked a full round ahead of Dwight Stephenson and it was not debated. Superb coverage skills and instincts when healthy.

Several glory year defenders are underrated today, like Tim Foley and Curtis Johnson and Mike Kolen and Doug Swift. Before the Isaac Curtis Rule I used to laugh like heck when Johnson and Foley would immediately chop the wide receiver at the line of scrimmage, sprawled on the Poly Turf and leaving the poor quarterback without a target.

I'll solo Reshad Jones as most overrated
Preach re Bob Griese. He was a great QB - not a good one. He called his own plays. He was clutch. He was a field general. He knew how to manage the game like Joe Montana and Tom Brady after him, and Bart Starr before him. He won. And he could beat you with his arm when needed as he led the NFL in passing in ‘77.

People who say all he did was hand off are not from that era. They don’t have the context of the times. Griese is in the HOF and yet we feel he was underrated.

He was not underrated in the ‘70s when most felt the best QBs in the league were Staubach, Bradshaw, Griese and Tarkington - possibly Stabler in there. Everyone else was next tier. For some reason Bradshaw and Staubach have transcended time while Griese has faded somewhat into oblivion - which is really sad as he was the “best” all around QB we ever had.

Love this, but I've been a fan since 1979, so I'm going back a bit for some folks:

Underrated
Bruce Hardy -- loved this guy. awesome TE
Tony Nathan -- Miami fans have respect for him, but man, he was a modern day running back who could run, catch and block.
Keith Byars -- Philly free agent, but he was so awesome and then he was great for NE when Jimmy let him go. Great FB/RB/TE
Tony McDaniel -- Only had him a short time, should not have let him go, he was damn fine DL
Wes Welker -- we let him go for 2nd rounder, we didn't appreciate him enough
Dwight Stevenson -- best C to ever play. well respected, but not enough because his career was cut short. but if he had remained at C, i think Dan wins a SB.
Trace Armstrong -- Bears FA, he was huge piece to Jimmy's early D. Made huge sack on Flutie in playoff win vs Buffalo. Helped JT become better player.
Paul Warfield -- in HOF, but man, this cat was ahead of his time as a speed receiver w/good hands. he could still be great player in today's game. lots of love, but too often a forgotten piece of our fabled history.
Blackwood bro's -- these guys could play and were damn good for several years.

Overrated
Sam Madison -- I loved Sam, but after a few years he lost speed and took too many chances and then Surtain passed him in ability. I just think he was overrated overall, even though he was awesome for a few years.
Randy McMichael -- good player, great as a rookie, but he dropped quite a few passes and was never a great blocker.
Tim Ruddy -- C, could pass block but not good at run blocking. i always wanted to replace him because he was a one trick pony.
Chris Chambers -- he was great as a rookie, but he dropped a lot of passes and was basically only very good at tough sideline catches.

He was a sure fire HOFer had he not gotten hurt.
Maybe. Our D stunk the five good years he was healthy and we missed the playoffs in four of those years. He got plenty of props/awards (deservedly so) when he was healthy. Idt, that constitutes him bring underrated. I was a big fan of his, injuries just cut his career short. People know how good he was.

Back
Top Bottom