Most underrated/overrated Dolphins of all time? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most underrated/overrated Dolphins of all time?

Underated - Agree with you guys that said Yeremiah Bell and Brian Hartline. Hartline had an incredible ability to tap his toes on sideline catches and he was all heart.

Overated - Surprised nobody has said Suh. Or maybe he was just overpaid. I'll throw in Channing Crowder and Bobby McCain. Neither were useless by any means. But both held onto starting jobs for a little too long simply because we had nothing better.
When I think overrated Dolphins players, I think of players that fans gave too much credit to and when their careers were over you look back like they really weren’t as good as everyone thought they were. Pouncey is a good example of that, He got a lot of those pro bowls on name alone.

When I think overrated Dolphins players, I think of players that fans gave too much credit to and when their careers were over you look back like they really weren’t as good as everyone thought they were. Pouncey is a good example of that, He got a lot of those pro bowls on name alone.
Yeah I agree on Pouncey. He never really seemed to make a massive difference to the OL either when he did or didn't play.

Really? You think Clayton and Csonka are overrated?
Yup, Csonka had some big holes to run through. That offensive line was the real deal. Csonka was very good, but he is looked at as great. He is nothing compared to Jim Brown.

Clayton and Duper were good, but Marino made them stars. People don’t understand how great Dan Marino was.

I think Wes Welker was also "Highly unproductive '' while in a Dolphin jersey . 46 games with ONE receiving td, averaging 2 receptions for 26 yards a game. He stunk as a Dolphin then with the Pats, had 5 seasons of 1100+ yards and 5 pro bowl seasons. Going from the toilet bowl to the pro bowl is the epitome of underrated.

I think Wes Welker was also "Highly unproductive '' while in a Dolphin jersey . 46 games with ONE receiving td, averaging 2 receptions for 26 yards a game. He stunk as a Dolphin then with the Pats, had 5 seasons of 1100+ yards and 5 pro bowl seasons. Going from the toilet bowl to the pro bowl is the epitome of underrated.
Opportunity though. We only played him significantly at WR in his last season here. I think he led the team in receptions despite playing with Booker and Chambers.

Yup, Csonka had some big holes to run through. That offensive line was the real deal. Csonka was very good, but he is looked at as great. He is nothing compared to Jim Brown.

Clayton and Duper were good, but Marino made them stars. People don’t understand how great Dan Marino was.
I don’t know about that Clayton and Duper take. I see lots of highlights where those guys were wiiiiiiidddeeeee open. I was a kid in that era so can’t really recall real time.

While I understand the sentiment - no one is (or at least should be) putting Csonka and Jim Brown in the same sentence - let alone comparing them. Well that is outside of a listing of awesome RB's that came from Syracuse Univ:)

Chuck Klingbiel and Larry Chester were 2 DL, I thought were underrated. Chester and Bowens formed an immovable duo at DT, during the Wanny era. Klingbiel, was a steady force at NT during, the later part of the Shula era. Good unheralded players.

a few underrated that come to my mind are Keith Jackson, Chris Chambers, and Trace Armstrong - don't think I've seen his name - he was a stud...

overrated - Brandon Marshall as a Fin.

Overrated : Ronnie Brown, he had no business being drafted 2nd overall, who was our QB at the time and what QB was available for us to draft? But Saban chose to reach for a RB who was mediocre in college and was in a time share. The only RBs I can justify being drafted that high are guys who were legit difference makers in college, like Reggie Bush, Cmac, Barkley, Zeke, Fournette, Gurley. Ronnie Brown had barely broke 1k yard season, it was the Wildcat year, otherwise he definitely was just ok and certainly didn't live up to being worthy of the 2nd overall pick.

Underrated: Trace Armstrong

Overrated - Bobby Humphrey. I was happy when we got him from Denver for Sammie Smith. For some reason he was never used as the feature back here and instead was our third down back (which he excelled at). He'd had two 1,000 yd rushing seasons in Denver. He must not have impressed Shula. Off the field issues didn't help. Two years in Miami and he was done.

Underrated - Vern Den Herder. Him and Bill Stanfill both should be in Canton. Stanfill at least made a bunch of Pro Bowls and All-Pros. Den Herder has the fourth most sacks in Dolphins history. He had a five sack game and two four sack games. Yet, you never hear anything about him outside of Dolphins circles. A shame because he was really good and I'm glad I grew up to watch him play his whole career. Shula on Den Herder: "one of the most dependable players I've ever coached."

Last edited:
Overrated : Ronnie Brown, he had no business being drafted 2nd overall, who was our QB at the time and what QB was available for us to draft? But Saban chose to reach for a RB who was mediocre in college and was in a time share. The only RBs I can justify being drafted that high are guys who were legit difference makers in college, like Reggie Bush, Cmac, Barkley, Zeke, Fournette, Gurley. Ronnie Brown had barely broke 1k yard season, it was the Wildcat year, otherwise he definitely was just ok and certainly didn't live up to being worthy of the 2nd overall pick.

Underrated: Trace Armstrong
[/QUOTE]
Some QB called Aaron Rodgers was available.....

Underrated:

Zach Thomas - for not being in the HOF

Ryan Fitzpatrick - his leadership of taking a team that was gutted and turning them into winners is way underrated by Dolphin fans.

Rishard Matthews - his final year in Miami, Tannehill had a 137 QB rating throwing to Matthews and around an 80 QB rating throwing to everyone else. Miami could have resigned him for $5 mil per year and chose to let him walk and spent a 3rd, 4th and 6th round pick to draft Carroo the next draft as his replacement.

Overrated:

Chris Chambers - his ability to adjust to the ball in the air is the worst I’ve seen. Similar to Preston Williams had an ugly habit of trying to jump basket catch the ball. Drops galore. In his career, QBs only completed 48.7% of their passes thrown to him.

Rashad Jones - could make an impact play, but the price to pay was burnt toast way too many times.

Dante Culpepper - not the injured version, the healthy version. When Miami signed him, I did a piece showing Dante’s numbers when Moss was on the field and when he wasn’t. A healthy Culpepper was garbage when he didn’t have Moss to throw to. Clearly a case where a WR made a QB look so much better than he ever was.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom