Most underrated/overrated players on team and league | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most underrated/overrated players on team and league

There are only so many ways I can vehemently object to your analysis of Dan Marino. I will try to educate you as much as I can...

ricky williams said:
i think marino deserves to be in the hall of fame and that he is a great quarterback in his own right. but i think stats aren't always a measuring stick of your greatness either.

Stats do not mean everything but when you hold EVERY MAJOR Q.B. record known to man they do say something about the quality of the man and the player. You talk about the man like he was a scrub.

ricky williams said:
everyone says you can't judge marino because he never had talent around him.

He DID never have talent around him. Lets review this alledged "talent".

The "prime" of Dan's career was 1983 - 1995. During this time:

The most yards rushing a player had was 915 by Mark Higgs in 1992. During a 13 year span they had ZERO 1,000 yard rushers.

The average ranking of the Dolphins rushing offense during this span of time was 21st out of 28 teams.

On defense the average ranking of the team was 17th.

In the same 13 year span the Dolphins had a total of 13 Pro Bowl appearences by defensive players. An average of 1 per season.

By way of comparison the Tampa Bay Bucs during the same span of time (13 years) averaged a ranking of 17th in total defense...they averaged 5 wins a season during that 13 years.

I tend to argue that WITHOUT Dan and the Mark's Brothers we would have been closer to the Tampa's of the world rather then being a potential playoff team every year.

ricky williams said:
we were preseason picks to go to the superbowl many of years and we had lines that gave outstanding pretection but we never did.

We were preseason favorites? I agree we were preseason favorites a few times '84 (we went to the Super Bowl), '85 (lost the AFC title game), '93 (Dan got hurt) and '95 (the team imploded with selfishness).

Saying we were "perennial" favorites is laughable. For about 8 years of Dan's career the Bills were the team to beat in the AFC. During that time the Dolphins had NOTHING on defense and no running game to speak of.

I'll say it for the 340530th time....a team with no defense and no running game has no chance.

As far as that "outstanding" protection, that is more of a mirage then anything. Dan's quick release probably avoided about 20 sacks a season.

If our O-line's were so good then why did the Dolphins rank an average of 21st in the league rushing the football?

ricky williams said:
he was great but it never seemed like it was great at the critical times of playoffs or late in the season.

Was'nt great in critical times or in the 4th quarter?

[size=-1]In his 17 years he brought the team back from a fourth quarter deficit a total of 37 times, with 21 fourth quarter triumphs at home and 16 on the road. Included were three playoff games in which Marino led Miami back in the fourth quarter.

If you include 13 fourth-quarter situations in which the game was tied and Dan lead them to a win, then Marino led the Dolphins on a total of 50 game-winning drives.

Marino ranks second in 4th quarter comeback victories behind Elway's 43. 2nd all time...what was your point again?

In Marino’s 37 career fourth quarter comebacks, he completed 63.5% of his passes for 3,710 yards with 29 touchdowns and eight INTs with a 4th quarter Q.B.rating of 104.

[/size]
ricky williams said:
i personally like the qb who in the 4th quater w/ 2:00 left in superbowl has the best performance of his life.

There have been a grand total of 2 of your example situations (Elway and Montana). Saying that guy is not clutch because he has'nt done something that has been done twice in the history of the sport is an absurd level to hold someone to.

ricky williams said:
until dan can do that w/ he can't, then he ranks farther down the line in terms of best qb's of all time. top 20 but not top 5.

You have the right to your opinion. You bring specualtion and "what if's" and I brought FACTS.

To say that Dan was "overrated" and "not clutch" is false...but you have the right to your opinion...even if it is DEAD WRONG.

To say that he is "Top 20 and not Top 5" is absurd. Give me a list of who ranks ahead of him historically.

unifiedtheory said:
There are only so many ways I can vehemently object to your analysis of Dan Marino. I will try to educate you as much as I can...

Stats do not mean everything but when you hold EVERY MAJOR Q.B. record known to man they do say something about the quality of the man and the player. You talk about the man like he was a scrub.

He DID never have talent around him. Lets review this alledged "talent".

The "prime" of Dan's career was 1983 - 1995. During this time:

The most yards rushing a player had was 915 by Mark Higgs in 1992. During a 13 year span they had ZERO 1,000 yard rushers.

The average ranking of the Dolphins rushing offense during this span of time was 21st out of 28 teams.

On defense the average ranking of the team was 17th.

In the same 13 year span the Dolphins had a total of 13 Pro Bowl appearences by defensive players. An average of 1 per season.

By way of comparison the Tampa Bay Bucs during the same span of time (13 years) averaged a ranking of 17th in total defense...they averaged 5 wins a season during that 13 years.

I tend to argue that WITHOUT Dan and the Mark's Brothers we would have been closer to the Tampa's of the world rather then being a potential playoff team every year.

We were preseason favorites? I agree we were preseason favorites a few times '84 (we went to the Super Bowl), '85 (lost the AFC title game), '93 (Dan got hurt) and '95 (the team imploded with selfishness).

Saying we were "perennial" favorites is laughable. For about 8 years of Dan's career the Bills were the team to beat in the AFC. During that time the Dolphins had NOTHING on defense and no running game to speak of.

I'll say it for the 340530th time....a team with no defense and no running game has no chance.

As far as that "outstanding" protection, that is more of a mirage then anything. Dan's quick release probably avoided about 20 sacks a season.

If our O-line's were so good then why did the Dolphins rank an average of 21st in the league rushing the football?

Was'nt great in critical times or in the 4th quarter?

[size=-1]In his 17 years he brought the team back from a fourth quarter deficit a total of 37 times, with 21 fourth quarter triumphs at home and 16 on the road. Included were three playoff games in which Marino led Miami back in the fourth quarter.

If you include 13 fourth-quarter situations in which the game was tied and Dan lead them to a win, then Marino led the Dolphins on a total of 50 game-winning drives.

Marino ranks second in 4th quarter comeback victories behind Elway's 43. 2nd all time...what was your point again?

In Marino’s 37 career fourth quarter comebacks, he completed 63.5% of his passes for 3,710 yards with 29 touchdowns and eight INTs with a 4th quarter Q.B.rating of 104.

[/size]

There have been a grand total of 2 of your example situations (Elway and Montana). Saying that guy is not clutch because he has'nt done something that has been done twice in the history of the sport is an absurd level to hold someone to.

You have the right to your opinion. You bring specualtion and "what if's" and I brought FACTS.

To say that Dan was "overrated" and "not clutch" is false...but you have the right to your opinion...even if it is DEAD WRONG.

To say that he is "Top 20 and not Top 5" is absurd. Give me a list of who ranks ahead of him historically.

POST....OF....THE.....YEAR!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

Raekwon The Che said:
Overrated - Michael Vick
Underrated - Phillip Rivers

yeah, I guy who has never played is underrated. :rolleyes:

...Tell me again, what was the Falcon's record when Vick was out for the year?

ricky williams said:
davey has done nothing. i just think that people don't see how good he is because he is stuck behind brady.

?? if u want to know why i think marino is overated i wrote something about it about 3 post ago. look at my post history.
when you make such a ridiculous statement (marino over-rated), why would anyone have any interest in your past posts?

unifiedtheory just
owned-1.gif
ricky williams

DolphinDevil28 said:
yeah, I guy who has never played is underrated. :rolleyes:

...Tell me again, what was the Falcon's record when Vick was out for the year?
That arguement is no longer a valid one. That year the Falcon defense was horrible and if I can remember correctly was ranked last in the league? However they improve the defense and all of sudden they are a playoff team and Vick did help no doubt about that, but he is as much of a curse as he is a blessing for that team.

#1 all time in 4th quarter game winning drives
#2 all time in 4th quarter comebacks

I think he knows how to win in the 4th quarter.

unifiedtheory said:
Thanks Dev, the guy made me so upset I did research.:lol:

Your right though, he had no RB's or great talent around him.

Man, Looking back at Miami's drafts, they have to be the worst judge of RB talent in the history of the NFL.

I feel bad for Ronnie Brown already.

Raekwon The Che said:
That arguement is no longer a valid one. That year the Falcon defense was horrible and if I can remember correctly was ranked last in the league? However they improve the defense and all of sudden they are a playoff team and Vick did help no doubt about that, but he is as much of a curse as he is a blessing for that team.

You ever think that maybe that's not a coincidence?

When Mike Vick went out, the Falcons offense couldn't do JACK SQUAT!!
clear.gif

That means, the Falcons defense had to be on the field more and come save the day.

Well, being that the Falcons D has a few good-to-great players and not much else, they couldn't hold their own.

Mike Vick scares D coordinators. That makes them want to contain the perimeter more, which means more running room in the middle for Warrick Dun and TJ Duckett.

Not to mention those 3rd and 9's when your average passing QB struggles against a zone, cover 2, Mike Vick just runs past everyone and keeps the chains moving with a first down.

You think Doug Johnson could do that?? HELL NO.

So Mike Vick doesn't pass for 4,000 yards a season. Who cares? He rushed for more yards by himself last year than did the whole Miami Dolphins team. (and a few others.)

...Not to mention he was still only in his second year of learning the west coast offense. Once he totally learns the system he'll be damn near unstoppable.

Who cares if the Falcons made it to NFC championship? This is the most overrated thing about them. Who did they have to beat to get there? That's right, the lowly 8-8 Vikings. They had the only positive record in their division. The Falcons as a team, and Vick as a quarterback are OVERRATED!

Back
Top Bottom