My First Half-Round Mock Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My First Half-Round Mock Draft

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to go overboard making a whole lot of these, and this only covers half of the first round because we're so far out from the draft that resolution gets a whole lot hazier at the bottom half of the first. I won't do anything comprehensive until the eve of the draft...and will probably only come up with one more mock sometime between now and then.

1. Vince Young to the Texans
There will be far too much pressure from the fans to keep their hero in town…a la Jake Plummer in Arizona. At one point in Arizona they estimated that 20% of fan attendance was linked with Plummer's presence on the Cardinals. That percentage could go even higher in Houston for Young, where the Texans have yet to repay fan loyalty with anything resembling quality football.

2. Matt Leinart to the Saints
Unless he pulls an Eli, this appears to be his destination.

3. Reggie Bush to the Titans
Norm Chow will be all too happy to be reunited with his favorite offensive weapon. Chow likes Leinart, but deep down I think he likes Bush more.

4. D’Brickashaw Ferguson to the Jets
Whoever they get or put out there at QB, they need to protect him. The Jets were one of the most-sacked teams, and it has been apparent for a while that Jason Fabini is about done. If Mangini becomes the coach, he could show favoritism towards the D, but I think they grab the next Walter Jones when they get the chance.

5. LenDale White to the Packers
New rumors have them enamored with White, and his Rose Bowl performance helped his stock considerably. The rumors make sense. Ahman Green is gone after this year, and the team needs to build around Rodgers. Jim Bates will fight like heck for AJ Hawk, but in the end the offense wins out.

6. AJ Hawk to the Raiders
Very unfair for him to fall even this far. He is the best defensive player in the draft, and quite possibly the best player in the draft period. But, some teams really need offense.

7. Marcus McNeil to the 49ers
I see people keep predicting defense, but the team needs to build around the franchise QB. There are no world-beating receivers here. Time to start protecting Alex Smith. He took 29 sacks in only 8 games…and Nolan won’t let him become the new David Carr.

8. Haloti Ngata to the Bills
They need big uglies on both sides of the line and with McNeil gone, Ngata is the choice because Donahoe is not there to show favoratism toward Hurricanes players like Eric Winston.

9. Mario Williams to Detroit
Millen is a big proponent of drafting the best player available, which has led to drafting three straight receivers. Finally, it will lead to a franchise defensive end, instead. Mario Williams just grades higher than Jimmy Williams, who would be their next target here. And, Millen is not smart enough to draft Jay Cutler and give up on Harrington.

10. DeAngelo Williams to the Cardinals
He is the Arrington that Arrington turned out not to be. Denny Green could also go with Eric Winston or Jon Scott here, but he needs a runner bad and this year's tackle class is deep.

11. Mathias Kiwanuku to the Rams
Time to start building that defense the right way, from the pass rush out.

12. Chad Greenway to the Cleveland Browns
Nick Saban and Romeo Crennel would both have a knock-down drag-out fight over this kid if they could. Belichick would watch, and be jealous that he doesn’t pick higher than them. Greenway is just their kind of linebacker.

13. Jimmy Williams to the Baltimore Ravens
The Ravens defense needs to be kept fresh to keep winning games, and Williams is a perfect fit as a safety to replace free agent Demps. They could go with a tackle, but no other offensive player on the board makes sense.

14. Demeco Ryans to the Eagles
Fits in immediately as a play-making, blitzing, intercepting weak side backer that they haven’t had since William Thomas.

15. Michael Huff to the Falcons
They could use a corner or a safety, and Huff could be either. I won't even go into how good of a player Huff is, because I think most people know already. Drafting him will make the Falcons very happy.

16. Jay Cutler to the Dolphins
Vince Young coming out bumps Cutler down far enough for Miami to get him. The Phins do like him, but Nick Saban will be tearing his hair out as four higher-rated players in Greenway, Williams, Ryans, and Huff all get taken before #16. Cutler is a pretty good consolation prize, though, and he fits everything Scott Linehan would like to do at the position. I would have the team taking Laron Landry or Jon Scott here, but #16 might be a little too high for Landry (the dreaded reach) and I do not think Hudson Houck will sign off on drafting a lineman in the first round. It just isn't his style. He is good enough that he thinks he can find first round quality in the 4th or 5th round, once you shine them up a bit. A lot of the time he's even right.

I love your #5 pick. I just posted that about a second ago in another thread.

Where do you see David Carr going if Houston takes young? Carr stays for a year and Young sits on the bench for a year or do they trade Carr?

Who knows where Carr could end up. Possibly the Jets. His style fits their offense as well as ours.

Make sure you take note that I believe Saban has the likes of Mario Williams, Jimmy Williams, Demeco Ryans, Chad Greenway, and Michael Huff rated ABOVE Jay Cutler, and the entire reason I have the Phins taking Cutler at #16 is because those five players are already gone.

If Landry has a great Combine and starts popping into our area on draft boards, then you'll probably see Nick take LaRon.

I don't see the Texans taking Young over Bush. No matter how good Young looked in the Rose bowl he is still a project. Bush could be an instant impact player on that team, and Chris Mortenson said that is who they are taking if he comes out (not that he's always right). I also don't see LenDale White going ahead of DeAngelo WIlliams and Laurence Maroney unless he has a stellar combine. I know the Packers are said to be very interested in him and I could be wrong, I just don't see it. I love the Dolphins getting Cutler though and I do applaud you for not making the "conventional" mock of Bush-Lienart-Young like most everyone else, I just don't know if I see it happening.

I can't see Saban and Mueller taking a QB in the first round knowing that he isn't going to play at least one season. Especially a QB that doesn't come from a winning program...and is sure to have at least a few problems that will need to be corrected.
It would go against everything Saban has said about using picks and the decisons that Mueller has made with QB's, in the past.

sports24/7 said:
I don't see the Texans taking Young over Bush. No matter how good Young looked in the Rose bowl he is still a project. Bush could be an instant impact player on that team, and Chris Mortenson said that is who they are taking if he comes out (not that he's always right). I also don't see LenDale White going ahead of DeAngelo WIlliams and Laurence Maroney unless he has a stellar combine. I know the Packers are said to be very interested in him and I could be wrong, I just don't see it. I love the Dolphins getting Cutler though and I do applaud you for not making the "conventional" mock of Bush-Lienart-Young like most everyone else, I just don't know if I see it happening.

If Texas stopped Bush for the most part....what chance does Bush have against NFL teams...every week? Young is a winner and he'll bring in sales...thats the smart way to go. Even Manning had problems his first couple season's...and Manning was the most ready QB to come out in a long time.

sports24/7 said:

yea i agree.
clear.gif

fishypete said:
If Texas stopped Bush for the most part....what chance does Bush have against NFL teams...every week? Young is a winner and he'll bring in sales...thats the smart way to go. Even Manning had problems his first couple season's...and Manning was the most ready QB to come out in a long time.

if the 117th ranked pass D stopped vince young, what chance does he have agaisnt pro teams?

:sidelol:

and so much for stopping him, the guy had like 70 yards rushing at near 5 yards per carry, and 90 yards recieving.

fishypete said:
Texas didn't stop Bush. His nubers were 13 carries for 82 yards and a TD with a 6.3 ypc, and 95 yards on 6 receptions. Thats 177 all purpose yards in a game that was obviously not his best against one of the best defenses in football.

He will be an instant impact player in the NFL and most likely the rookie of the year. Texan fans were praying to get this guy before the season ended. They even did a OTL nightly special on it. Trust me, he will bring fans just as much or more than Young who would sit on the bench for a year at least.

And you can't compare Vince Young to one of the most cerebral QBs ever. Manning was as you said the most ready QB to come out in a long time, but Young is far from that. He is not NFL ready by any means and will need time to learn. When you already have a very good QB in David Carr this seems like a no brainer to me.

Nappy Roots said:
if the 117th ranked pass D stopped vince young, what chance does he have agaisnt pro teams?

and so much for stopping him, the guy had like 70 yards rushing at near 5 yards per carry, and 90 yards recieving.

Not sure what your talking about Nappy....Bush was stopped by the best defense he faced all year....do certain teams cause problems for players....sure they do...but what do you want...a winning QB....or a running back thats never played a full season and a full game? Bush at best will get 10-12 touches...is that a full time player....worthy of the first pick in the draft? I like Bush...he's a great talent....but you have to place value on his worth.

fishypete said:
Not sure what your talking about Nappy....Bush was stopped by the best defense he faced all year....do certain teams cause problesm for players....sure they do...but what do you want...a winning QB....or a running back thats never played a full season and a full game? Bush at best will get 10-12 touches...is that a full time player....worthy of the first pick in the draft? I like Bush...he's a great talent....but you have to place value on his worth.

you dont know what im talking about? how about Texas A&M completeing shuting down vince young. the 117th ranked pass defense in the country. if he cant do it agaisnt them, how is he to do it against pros. . every week.

Bush is at best a 10-12 carry guy? why cause he had lendell white on his team that was also a top back in the country.

was ronnie only a 10-12 carry guy? i think not.

a winning QB at the college level doesnt mean much

Nappy Roots said:
you dont know what im talking about? how about Texas A&M completeing shuting down vince young. the 117th ranked pass defense in the country. if he cant do it agaisnt them, how is he to do it against pros. . every week.

Bush is at best a 10-12 carry guy? why cause he had lendell white on his team that was also a top back in the country.

was ronnie only a 10-12 carry guy? i think not.

a winning QB at the college level doesnt mean much

A winning QB in college doesn't mean much....how about one that loses?

Until Ronnie plays by himself a full game and a full season...I'll reserve my judgement on his worth as the 2nd pick in the draft....your correct...I see both Bush and Brown in similar ways.

fishypete said:
Not sure what your talking about Nappy....Bush was stopped by the best defense he faced all year....do certain teams cause problems for players....sure they do...but what do you want...a winning QB....or a running back thats never played a full season and a full game? Bush at best will get 10-12 touches...is that a full time player....worthy of the first pick in the draft? I like Bush...he's a great talent....but you have to place value on his worth.
Again, Bush was not stopped by Texas. But I don't see how an argument that one player can have an off game against a bad defense and then another player has an off game against a good defense makes any sense. It was obvious Bush wasn't on against Texas, but he was still very productive. And just because he split time with another back doesn't mean he is any less of a RB (see Ronnie Brown/ Caddy Williams). But he will get more than 10-12 touches. He may not get more carries, but he'll get a ton of receptions and if it only takes him 10-12 touches to put up big time numbers than of course he is worth it. Besides 10-12 touches is 10-12 more than Young will get this year.

Back
Top Bottom