My Super Realistic Semi-Annual Off-Season Plan - Now with more Suh! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Super Realistic Semi-Annual Off-Season Plan - Now with more Suh!

defeKt

Rookie
Reaction score
So it's that time of year again, the time of year ever fin fan loves because you can't start the season with a losing record. So how would I improve these Dolphins to finally get back to the promised land? Check my plan below and let me know what you think.

Cut:

Nate Garner, Cortland Finnegan, Brian Hartline, Brandon Gibson, Daniel Ellerbe, Phillip Wheeler, Randy Starks, Caleb Sturgis
Many of these players have already been cut, the rest are pretty obvious, with the possible exception of Starks

Restructure:

Mike Pouncey, Brandon Fields, Charles Clay
All 3 of these players are still relatively young for their positions and playing at a high level. Signing them to long term deals reduces the cap hit this year and solidifies our talent base for the future
All said this should create about 30 million in cap space prior to any signings

Re-sign:

AJ Francis, Michael Thomas, Luis Delmas, Jordan Kovacs, Jason Fox
These guys all come cheap, know our system and could have an impact next year. The combination Thomas and Kovacs at safety until Delmas gets healthy isn’t ideal, but safety is a hard spot to fill in both FA and the draft this year.

Sign:

Ndamukong Suh DT
Sure he’s going to cost a crap load of money. The kind of money I would normally never consider giving someone that doesn’t throw the football, but sometimes you have to go all in. Suh is a game changer, in his prime, with no off field issues. A line featuring Suh, Wake, and Vernon would be unblockable. While 16.5 million a season is a lot of money, what it really means is that Wallace (13.5M) is gone next year and will need to be replaced through the draft.

Davon House CB

He’s an affordable 6 foot CB with no personality issues who has had 20 passes defensed and 2 interceptions as a part time starter with GB in the last 2 years. Did I mention he’s only 25? The guys not a sure bet, but he deserves a chance to start somewhere and having him compete with Jamar Taylor and Will Davis mitigates the risk. Chris Culliver, Kareem Jackson, and Parish Cox are similar players any one of them would work, just don’t overpay.

Mason Foster ILB

Hickey should be pretty familiar with this guy from his days in Tampa. While Foster didn’t play very well under Lovely Smith last year, he’s a 26 year legit 3 down MLB that put up 92 tackles and 3 INTs in 2013 and shouldn’t break the bank.

Ryan Succop K

No one is going to mistake Succop for an elite kicker, but Sturgis shouldn’t be in the NFL. He has career average of 77.5 to Succop’s 81.7 and Succop had his best season last year with an 86.4 nearly 10% higher than Sturgis

Christian Ponder QB

Ponder is not a very good QB, but his skillset fits really well with our offense. His basically a frail interception prone version of T-Hill, but we need to get cheaper at the backup QB position and Ponder still has some upside

Draft:

RD1 Devante Parker WR Louisville 6’3 209
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:12286166
I really hope this guy is there when we pick but the odds are pretty good that he will be. Park is an athlete big bodied tall receiver with long arms and big hands. He can beat you with his feet 4.45 or his strength. This guy has the potential to be a true #1 receiver and his huge catch radius is perfect for Tannehill who’s ball placement is still improving. It’s critical we find receiver as Wallace will be gone next season.

RD2 Carl Davis DT Iowa 6’5 320

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:12349049
Another DT?! This once vaulted Dolphins defense was built from the inside out and now is the time to rebuild. Davis is an absolute mountain of man with the ability to easily sustain two blockers and showed the ability to get into the backfield with 9 tackles for a loss

RD3 Ali Marpet OG Hobart 6’4 307

I really tried not to take any small school players here, and ideally you would like someone with a little more position versatility so Oregon’s Jake Fisher would also be a possibility here. At the end of the Marpet was just too good to pass up. Obviously Hobart doesn’t play against the best competition but Marpet was dominant, when you watch this guy play all you see are bodies on the ground at the end of every play. He the tore it up at the combine and was impressive at the senior bowl.

RD4 Gerod Holliman Louisville S 6’0 218

This is the part of the draft where you start to take risk and Holliman is a boom or bust type prospect. So what if he got injured and couldn’t show perform at the combine (will run at pro day), yes there are rumors of character concerns, and he’s a one year wonder but it was on hell of a year. 14 interceptions! Ah hell just watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OcFGKjtD0M and tell me you don’t want to bring this Miami native home.

RD5 Karlos Williams RB Florida State 6’1 225

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnaRCN6Vd_U
Ever hear of the Speed Index (Weight * 200)/(40 time^4) ? Well most GMs have and through the years it’s been a pretty good predictor of running back success in the NFL if you score 110 or higher you generally end up being pretty good. Dolphins seem to buy into it Damion Williams 110, Lamar Miller 113. Well this year the only RB above 110 is Williams at 114. The guy wasn’t a monster in college but he did put up 22 touchdowns in 2 seasons and averaged around 6 yards per carry. He has the ability to move the chains and gain tough yards and is a good 1 cut runner kind of a poor man’s Arian Foster

RD6 Chris Conley WR Georgia 6-2 213

So first let me admit that this guy was nowhere near my radar before the combine but this is the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] round and he put a 4.35 40 and had a 45 inch vertical. He got progressively better in college and finished his senior year with 657 yards 8 touch downs and averaged 18.25 yards a catch. Maybe we get lucky and this guy develops into a stretch the field replacement for Wallace. Did I mention he’s a Sith lord? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsJU5Ebka44

RD7 Who Cares! i.e. 6’3 246 Zack Wagenmann DE Montana

The guy has interesting measurable and put 17’5 sacks in a single season… in the Big Sky conference. Dolphins have done well with Montana players in the past and Wagenmann was pretty impressive for a nobody at the combine placing in the top 5 in 3 drills. Apparent played well in the NFLPA bowl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZES6Uok_h0

2015 Depth Chart:

Offense:

WR1 Mike Wallace, *Chris Conley
TE Charles Clay, Dion Sims
LT Brandon Albert, Jason Fox
LG *Ali Marpet, Shelley Smith
C Mike Pouncy, Sam Brenner
RG Billy Turner, Dallas Thomas
RT Juan James, Jason Fox
WR2 *Devante Parker
WR3 Jarvis Landry, Rishard Matthews
QB Ryan Tannehill, Christian Ponder
RB Lamar Miller, *Karlos Williams, Damien Williams

Defense:

LDE Cameron Wake, Terrence Fede
LDT Ndamukong Suh, AJ Francis
RDT Earl Mitchell, *Carl Davis
RDE Olivier Vernon, Derrick Shelby
WLB Dion Jordan, Chris McCain
MLB Mason Foster, Koa Misi, Jordan Tripp
SLB Jelani Jenkins, Koa Misi
CB1 Brent Grimes, Will Davis
SS Luis Delmas, *Gerod Holliman
FS Reshad Jones, Michael Thomas
CB2 Devon House, Will Davis
CB3 Jamar Taylor, Michael Thomas

Special Teams:

K Ryan Succop
P Brandon Fields
PR Jarvis Landry
KR *Chris Conley
LS John Denney

Last edited by a moderator:
Koa Misi does not loose his starting job

Does he tighten it?

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Nice effort into that. I'd take it in a heartbeat.

My only caveat would be if there was SOMEHOW we could keep Randy Starks for that nasty D-line rotation, do it. Then put a little more priority into another guard.

But good read.

I'm starting to wonder if everyone with an opinion on Suh should just start a thread to express it, as opposed to posting on the many existing?

There may be over 200 threads but, give others time off for a few days. LOL

I'm starting to wonder if everyone with an opinion on Suh should just start a thread to express it, as opposed to posting on the many existing?

[video=youtube;-6EvuftDKmU]http://youtu.be/-6EvuftDKmU?t=9s[/video]

Good work here. I was looking at something similar, but I'm going to redirect that effort into a post about Suh.

Thoughts:

1) Restructure or replace Fields. Dude is crazy expensive.

2) An option that I haven't seen mentioned a lot as a backup QB is....ready for it? Matt Moore. He's NOT going to get the money on the FA market. He already LIVES in Miami. At least freaking talk to him.

3) I really like House. I do. And I really like Mason Foster. But I cannot go into the 2015 season with a 3rd rounder at Guard. I can't. After Suh, the need is Guard. (Boling?) Then WR. Then LB. With 30 million, we can't afford Suh, Boling, Andre Johnson, Foster and our picks. But it's nice to dream.

Also, I keep having this weird dream where Danny Shelton falls right into our laps in the draft. and that would be just stupid.

Very Nice. Agree its time to get rid of Matt Moore. Brandon Fields is luxury we cannot afford in a post Suh Miami...but that's ok. Plenty of decent punters to be had. Sure would like to find a way to keep Odrick. Our dline would have so much depth it would be SICK. Time to dominate.

we will get there... might be half way there already

Honestly about as realistic as you can get overall. I think Mason Foster is a likely target...I think Davon House would make sense as a target too. Both guys have ties to Hickey and Philbin, and fill needs. Wouldn't be particularly happy with Foster...but it's realistic, and you put Suh in front of him and who knows. With that said McCoy was playing in front of him in Tampa...but he makes his money rushing the passer above all else.

Value wise the draft makes sense too. I would look else where position wise in round 2 personally, but Carl Davis makes sense.

Disagree with the linebackers, that's about it. Misi would start on early downs at SOLB and Jenkins isn't moving from WILL.

Interesting research on Karlos Williams, the guy I want is Josh Robinson, and he definitely doesn't fit that mold.

The hole in all this is guard...I'm definitely making it a higher priority, Wisniewski is the guy I'd target. Need a vet in there bad, Billy Turner is enough of a dice roll.

Round 7 draft Kyle Loomis the Portland State punter. Free up Fields salary.

Solid work.

Beard you still Josh Robinson too??? there has been like no word on him anywhere.... you think he is going to get drafted??? or a scoop up as an undrafted rookie???

Beard you still Josh Robinson too??? there has been like no word on him anywhere.... you think he is going to get drafted??? or a scoop up as an undrafted rookie???

I'd look at him in the 5th round or later and be very happy getting him. Guy with those short legs was never going to run a good 40, and he was never really going to test well. I loved Branden Oliver last year and he went undrafted. He's the type of compliment that makes tons of sense for Miller, he tested so poorly he could be a priority FA. Still a big fan of his.

I'd look at him in the 5th round or later and be very happy getting him. Guy with those short legs was never going to run a good 40, and he was never really going to test well. I loved Branden Oliver last year and he went undrafted. He's the type of compliment that makes tons of sense for Miller, he tested so poorly he could be a priority FA. Still a big fan of his.

short powerful legs... he runs as a ball which is what i love as a RB stlye.

and yeah he did test poorly, and havent heard his name anywhere... that why i was curious on possible becoming an undrafted rookie FA... def look out for him!!!

Back
Top Bottom